FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:50 am

GR Research Speaker Build

<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:53 pm

GR Research Speaker Build

Haven't been on much lately with Family health issues. Terri and I are fine, but Dad has needed 24 hour care for the last 3 weeks. However, he is very slowly getting better. As a result, I was able to slip away for a while late afternoon and last night.

Therefore, Matt and I spent some time putting together a little bookshelf kit I bought him for Christmas from GR Research. We spent about 6 hours assembling and finished up late. Burning in speakers on a downstairs system. Initial impressions sound very impressive for the few dollars spent. Danny Ritchie is the owner of GR Research and has some very impressive dollar to sound ratios kits.
Attachments
GR Research Speaker Build.jpg
Last edited by Don on Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: GR Research Speaker Build

Great pic Don! Glad you got the time with Matt to have some father son time.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:54 pm

I love it!!!! =D> =D> =D> We need a pic of the completed speakers now.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

Odysseous

Newbie 50+

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:56 pm

That's awesome! I want to do one of these type of projects with my son. He's 10, but he's interested in audio equipment too. I'm thinking on a multi-generational project with my son and my dad, it will be fun and will create memories for all of us. I'll check out GR kits. Thanks!

Ulises.
2 Channel rigs:
Bob Carver custom made BLACK BEAUTY/RED tube amp, Carver TFM-45 (X3)
Carver C-19 tube pre amp, Carver SD/A 490t tube CD player
Carver TX-11b radio tuner, Carver TD1700 cassette deck
Carver Amazing Platinum IV, Genesis 350SE, Martin Logan Prodigy, Maggies 3.6R, Polk Audio SRS 3.1TL, KEF Reference Model One, Infinity RS Kappa 9
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:18 pm

Cool, Don!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:32 pm

Vance,

This picture is for you Buddy.

Threw together closet equipment to try out in HTR. Although did use Carverfest tube amp as power source. Haven't had time to sit down down for more than a couple of minutes. Hope to do some serious listening later tonight before Matt hauls them off to his home. However, bang for buck appears to be off the scale.

Great father/son project, although been so hectic last month and a half, late in putting together this Christmas project present.

This is the very bottom end kit from GR Research for us noobs. Very easy to put together, although still took about 4 to 5 hours, not counting a Dinner break. Crossover pre-assembled and purchased cabinet already painted and pre-cut for drivers. Lined cabinet with no-rez which was kit option. Took quite a bit of time to cut no-rez and piece together inside cabinet. Most labor intensive part of this little project.

Anyway, Matt's initial impressions were also very favorable. Plus, Terri and I had a great afternoon and evening with our son. That was priceless and a rarity these days. :D

PS Mark, we didn't even burn ourselves with the soldering iron. :lol: We still remember your tutoring from Carverfest 12.
Attachments
GR Research completed.jpg
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:52 pm

Don wrote:Vance,

This picture is for you Buddy.

Threw together closet equipment to try out in HTR. Although did use Carverfest tube amp as power source. Haven't had time to sit down down for more than a couple of minutes. Hope to do some serious listening later tonight before Matt hauls them off to his home. However, bang for buck appears to be off the scale.

Great father/son project, although been so hectic last month and a half, late in putting together this Christmas project present.

This is the very bottom end kit from GR Research for us noobs. Very easy to put together, although still took about 4 to 5 hours, not counting a Dinner break. Crossover pre-assembled and purchased cabinet already painted and pre-cut for drivers. Lined cabinet with no-rez which was kit option. Took quite a bit of time to cut no-rez and piece together inside cabinet. Most labor intensive part of this little project.

Anyway, Matt's initial impressions were also very favorable. Plus, Terri and I had a great afternoon and evening with our son. That was priceless and a rarity these days. :D

PS Mark, we didn't even burn ourselves with the soldering iron. :lol: We still remember your tutoring from Carverfest 12.

Thanks Don!!! They look great along with everything else in the picture! :D I can almost hear them through the picture!
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:18 pm

Nice work guys!!! =D>
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:25 pm

They look like they are right up your alley George.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/2,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM/42,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11,5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime will come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass and I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:46 pm

I was wondering who soldered. You or Matt? Or did Terri have to finish soldering it for you? I remember her watching carefully.... :lol:

Cool project Don! Great gift!

Mark

PS...glad to hear your dad is having better days.
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:33 pm

Did you guys the the cabinets from pe?
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:39 pm

Very nice Don! =D> =D> =D>
Thanks for sharing- and glad your dad is showing improvement!
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:21 pm

Just got in from Dad's. Hope to sit down for a listen soon. Dan, Dad still very needy, Had Granny Nannies there yesterday to give me the afternoon and evening off to do this project with Matt. But his evaluation of fall risk is being lowered somewhat. I work with him twice a day, everyday. Gaining balance and strength. But at 91, slow going.

George, bought the finished cabinets from someone that does the cabinets for Danny. However, individuals have used the .5 cu. ft. cabinet from Parts Express with success. This cabinet volume is a little larger. Therefore, assume LF response may be a tad greater. However, this bookshelf, as most bookshelfs, needs to mate with a subwoofer to sound their best and fill in the low end.

Anyhoo, the website is GR Research. This is the bottom XLS classic kit system. You can upgrade the caps for an additional charge. Read reviews about worth the upgrade. When things calm down somewhat, I will give an update on their sound. Will compare them to a pair of PSB Stratus mini's I have which retailed for about $1100 years ago. ( a very nice bookshelf IMHO) However, may be a while with Dad's situation.

http://gr-research.com/x-lsclassickit.aspx
— Thomas Paine

RIP Bill D.
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:06 am

Don,, pelase post your listening impressions,when you have had an opportunity to get your listen on-- I've been eyeing the N2x build for awhile

I have not heard them myself-- but I've been told that these things perform waaaaaay above their price point.
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:24 am

What a great father and son project! Very cool! I can't wait to see what you have to say about how they sound. Keep us posted.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
Next

Return to Misc. Discussions