FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:27 pm

DIY tube amps

<<

tkd.teacher

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:52 pm

DIY tube amps

How hard are some of the DIY tube amp projects that you see around, and are any of them actually worth building? My skills with a soldering iron are rudimentary at best, but I have access to someone that used to build tube amps for spare cash in his college days (late 70's/early 80's).

Most specifically, I was thinking of some of the kits on this page: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/tubes.htm
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:08 pm

Re: DIY tube amps

Since that site doesn't say where they are, I would suspect foreign. That may not be a big deal but it doesn't tend to cause communications issues.

I'd suggest looking at a place with good help from their forum. Start with something that's pretty well layed out for you and doesn't involve a whole lot of figuring out things.

One of the more challenging aspects can be the chassis work. Drilling and hole punching may be easy if you have the equipment, but a huge problem if not. An option is to buy an old rig that has the right tube compliment, but even then you may well be facing changing a power transformer and needing holes for it.

A place that does well on all counts as far as I"m concerned, not to mention helping newer folks, is at diytube.com. Shannon does a good job on documentation and there are folks around there at all skill levels.

http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/

A DIY may or may not excede the sonic quality of what you can otherwise buy. It depends on how challenged you are in learning electronics and how much pride you have in something being completed. It can be addictive for a few and get cast aside by others that aren't into it. Once completed, you can spend time upgrading parts and improve performance if you chose to. Continuing the fun on down the road.

A bunch of people here got together at a Carverfest a few years ago and build tube amplifiers. Many when they come had little in even soldering skills let alone any electronics knowledge. So it can be done. As a matter of fact, enough information is present here that you could even build the same and get lots of help here doing it.

Good luck and remember safety first when working with electonics.

Mark
<<

tkd.teacher

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:15 pm

radioeng2 wrote:
A place that does well on all counts as far as I"m concerned, not to mention helping newer folks, is at diytube.com. Shannon does a good job on documentation and there are folks around there at all skill levels.

http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/

A DIY may or may not excede the sonic quality of what you can otherwise buy. It depends on how challenged you are in learning electronics and how much pride you have in something being completed. It can be addictive for a few and get cast aside by others that aren't into it. Once completed, you can spend time upgrading parts and improve performance if you chose to. Continuing the fun on down the road.

A bunch of people here got together at a Carverfest a few years ago and build tube amplifiers. Many when they come had little in even soldering skills let alone any electronics knowledge. So it can be done. As a matter of fact, enough information is present here that you could even build the same and get lots of help here doing it.

Good luck and remember safety first when working with electonics.

Mark

My electronics knowledge is that I know there are watts, amps and ohms, but I'm not sure which one will eventually kill me. :lol:

I know there are transistors (Move and amplify current?), resistors (Restricts current?) and capacitors (Stores current?), and that a PCB is a printed circuit board, but that's about the extent of my knowledge. No clue of how to read a schematic/diagram.

And I have a healthy respect for electricity, been shocked nastily a couple times in my life, that's enough for me.!
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:28 pm

Sounds like you're fairly equipped and ready to go! :shock: If you have any other questions before you get done....ask. ](*,) :lol:

Mark
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:07 am

The amps always kill, not the voltage
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

tkd.teacher

Newbie 50+

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:53 am

angelod307 wrote:The amps always kill, not the voltage

Why is that?

John
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:36 am

tkd.teacher wrote:

Why is that?

John

John, I think he is saying the AMPERAGE is the deciding factor in lethal shocks. A tazer uses up to 100,000 volts but at only a fraction of an amp....
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:46 am

if you want a pair of Bob's 305/350's, let me know TKD. I am getting ready to do another pair.
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]
<<

tkd.teacher

Newbie 50+

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:52 am

TNRabbit wrote:
tkd.teacher wrote:

Why is that?

John

John, I think he is saying the AMPERAGE is the deciding factor in lethal shocks. A tazer uses up to 100,000 volts but at only a fraction of an amp....

So...

Volts are an indication of potential? And amperage is how much is actually let through?

John
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:28 pm

nooshinjohn wrote:if you want a pair of Bob's 305/350's, let me know TKD. I am getting ready to do another pair.

TDK, just make sure you get your kidney sold BEFORE you try to buy them
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

tkd.teacher

Newbie 50+

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:42 pm

EndersShadow wrote:
nooshinjohn wrote:if you want a pair of Bob's 305/350's, let me know TKD. I am getting ready to do another pair.

TDK, just make sure you get your kidney sold BEFORE you try to buy them

Yeah, I'd have to. We have no budget money anytime in the near future for anything but paying down some of the bills.

John
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:09 pm

John, You should make a Carverfest amp all of the schematics are available on this site, and essential iron is available from Edcor. Other than that the rest of the parts are readily available.A lot of us here have these already and would be able to answer your questions as well as provide direction on assembling it. 20 watts per channel in stereo or a 40 watt monoblock. A very vice little amp!
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:31 pm

I will be listing some Carverfest amps on eBay sooner than later....
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:17 pm

hewlew1 wrote:John, You should make a Carverfest amp all of the schematics are available on this site, and essential iron is available from Edcor. Other than that the rest of the parts are readily available.A lot of us here have these already and would be able to answer your questions as well as provide direction on assembling it. 20 watts per channel in stereo or a 40 watt monoblock. A very vice little amp!

Out of curiosity, whats a ballpark range for parts for the Carverfest tube amp?
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:58 pm

I will attempt a guess and say Between 250 and 300 buying in lesser quantities.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
Next

Return to Misc. Discussions