FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:49 pm

DIY tube amps

<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:35 pm

Re: DIY tube amps

Even with the schematic a mess, i just finished assembling nine tube amps without issue short of a sovtec running red as i bought them unchecked i guess. Not saying that it can not be better, but they do infact work well, just rolling a new tube in may be detrimental.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:53 am

a. somebody drew a schematic on a computer
b. somebody scratched out part of the bias circuit
c. somebody drew in another part of the bias circuit in the margin on the same page
d. somebody drew something else in the margin on another page, which looks like a voltage dropping adapter

A yes=Bob C
B yes=me, wrong parts in bias, to small of a zeners, would let amp red plate.
C yes=me, new Bob C design
D yes=me, Bob C design, this replacesthe 3.9k ohm/5watt resistor on the PS page, goes between B1 and B2

1. who drew the schematic in "a"
2. who crossed off something on the schematic as "b" and what did they scratch out
3. who drew that "c" stuff in the margin
4. who drew that "d" stuff on the last page. it looks like "d" is a kludge to fix an out of spec transformer.

1=Bob C
2=me per Bob C, red plated amp with wrong zeners in place
3=me
4=me, per Bob C, yes the transformer was/is to high of a voltage, causing the amps to red plate with some tubes, running at the very edge of safe

these are MY copys to work from, ALL the designs are BOB C
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:59 am

bob p wrote:
4. who drew that "d" stuff on the last page. it looks like "d" is a kludge to fix an out of spec transformer.

The original design was for 7189s, they can withstand a much higher plate voltage than the EL84/6BQ5s we had with our kits. The outcome of the zener mod reduces the plate voltage allowing the EL84s to work in the amp.

easy peasy...well for Mike. he did the zener mod in my amps. I did the boutique mods.

the thread is here.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17835

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

bob p

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:42 pm

thanks everybody for the help in making things clearer.
Carver Preamps: C-1, C-2, BillD's JVD-modded C-4000, C-9
Carver Amplifiers: BillD's C-500, M-1.5t (4) PM-1.5 (4) M-500t (2)
Repair/Restoration/Upgrade expert for all of these components.
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:07 pm

bob p wrote:thanks everybody for the help in making things clearer.

That;s why WE get the big bucks...and I got swamp land for sale.

Bob.....glad Mike could help.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
Previous

Return to Misc. Discussions