It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:42 am

Great Members of the Past (#2 - RodH and TnR) - Carversite

<<

Martin1970

TFM-25

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:54 am

Great Members of the Past (#2 - RodH and TnR) - Carversite

Direct copy of my post from the Carversite

Great Members of the Past and the Policies Changes they Inspire (#2 - RodH and TNRabbit)

I first came to know RodH on this site because I needed advice finding some capacitors for a project at work. I asked for advice and he asked for my address. He bought the capacitors and sent them to me from Canada. He would not take a cent of my money. A total stranger. This is the kind of guy that this site is all about.

He responded to me one time about a sad song about a pet that died. He had recently lost his great friend, a dog, and was going through the process of dealing with that. I didn't know how to help other than to try to understand. When we all lost our dear friend Bill, he was among the first to step forward to say we should do all we could to do good in his honor. As far as I'm concerned, Rod is one of (if not) the most selfless and sincere people I've encountered on the internet. Certainly not a troublemaker.

One day, he was just gone without a trace as if he had never existed.

Rumor was that he had asked to be deleted.

I thought that perhaps he had fallen into a depression and dropped out. I was sad to see that he was gone. I really liked that guy.

Recently, I found out what actually happened to him. It upset me enough that it inspired this post.

He said that he was sticking up for some other members who he thought were treated unfairly.

"If this is how longstanding members get treated, please delete me from this site."

And 'voila' he was gone.

Now, I know some other members have been eliminated and those situations are what they are, I can't stress enough that Rod was exactly the kind of guy that represents, to me, what this site is all about.
One sentence and no one tried to get him to reconsider. no sitting in a corner for a while. Just poof.
Would it have been good for the site to put in a little effort to try to understand the problem?
The guy had thousands of posts.

I'll agree that some form of control is good. Let's face it, there are people who just want to sabotage anything that has anything to do with Rich. I am in no position to say whether their hostility is justified or not. I'll agree that some of it is simply disruptive and has no place here. However, that is not that case with RodH. And It'll take quite a bit of convincing to get me to believe anything else.

That brings us to TNRabbit. What to say about Gary.... I guess it's only fair to say that I cannot be anything but subjective about this guy. He is my friend. He is a friend to lots and lots of people. And he has an opinion about everything and he's not afraid to express it. He might just be the most prolific poster in the history of audio forums. He is also the guy that brings these communities together. He's the first one to give out his phone number. The first to call the new guys and bring this experience out of the digital realm and into the world of reality. How many audio shut-ins has he dragged into the light? Who can know. Me for one.

Anyway, enough fawning over the guy's forum greatness. The point is, he got canned (or retired) and I say, like RodH being eliminated, it's simply not a good thing for the community. These are the two easiest, most black-and-white cases of this kind of thing. I suspect other members who are gone run the gambit from justified to unjustified.
However, I'd like to see policy change on this.
I'd like a discussion.
I'd like a vote.
I'd like Rich involved in it.

I do really like this site.
I also see lots of truly good people being hurt.

(Again, this post will be copied to the other forum to ensure it's integrity is kept.)
Carver: ALS plat upgrades, TX-11a, C-9, C-1
Sunfire: Cinema Grand Sig 400 Seven x2
Rane: RPM88 26Z x3
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:09 am

Re: Great Members of the Past (#2 - RodH and TnR) - Carversi

You are spot on about Rod and Gary. Thanks for the post Martin. =D> =D> =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:13 am

Very good post Martin.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

DavidR

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:40 am

Why do you CS members stay there? If you don't like what you see then MOVE ON. I suggest its the Medal Mentality that keeps you there. Come here, go elsewhere, go to Rod's site. This latest episode to ensue Over There won't be the last. Your choice. Its the people who make the site what it is not the other way around.

My feelings on the issue surrounding Rod is that he was more 'surprised' (insert own adjective) by the lack of members (many of whom he helped in one way or another) not standing behind/with him and not following him than by getting banned within minutes.
Last edited by DavidR on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Family Room (HT): M-1.0t MkII Opt2, BillD modified C-1, TX-11a, Bose 901 series VII, SpeakerCraft CS3, Sony CDP-C325
Office equipment: M-1.0t MkII Opt2, BillD modified C-11, Acoustic Research AR90s, Luxman T-111, Grant Fidelity CD327A, Sony HX-PRO TC-WE635, Sansui SR-212 w/ Shure M97xE, Behringer UFO202, Asus U47A
Son's system: MXR150, Polk RTA12C , Teac DS-H01 universal docking station: iPod, iTouch
Idle Gear: M-500t
<<

trav0810

TFM-6cb

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:28 am

Martin1970 wrote:Direct copy of my post from the Carversite

Great Members of the Past and the Policies Changes they Inspire (#2 - RodH and TNRabbit)

I first came to know RodH on this site because I needed advice finding some capacitors for a project at work. I asked for advice and he asked for my address. He bought the capacitors and sent them to me from Canada. He would not take a cent of my money. A total stranger. This is the kind of guy that this site is all about.

Recently, I found out what actually happened to him. It upset me enough that it inspired this post.

He said that he was sticking up for some other members who he thought were treated unfairly.

"If this is how longstanding members get treated, please delete me from this site."

And 'voila' he was gone.

Indded, it was that quick. RodH is a helluva guy. Generous to a fault! He was sticking up for other members (myself being one of them) and was speaking out against Rich's use of revisionist history. Daily, there were dozens, if not hundreds of posts being deleted or edited. Not to save space, but to hide the truth. If the Powers That Be wanted you gone, you were gone. Which is fine, you are the ones running the show! But then they wouldn't have to balls to be honest about their actions and would edit or remove posts to justify their actions. If that wasn't enough, they would blatantly lie about the actions of the banned members. Rich wan't the only one doing this, but also a couple of his top yes-men. Rod saw this happening and was appalled. Even before he was the victim of any of these actions, he was speaking out against them. He saw that is these tactics could be used against one person or two people, they could be used against anyone. He had the guts to do what few people on that site would. To say "I see what's happening and it's bullshit. If this is the way you are going to conduct business, I want no part of it." That is the MAJOR problem over there. Many people see the issues and even disagree with the actions, but they are afraid to make waves...afraid to lose their cozy little nesting grounds. If, at any point, 10 or 20 of the members would have banded together and said "Hell no, this isn't the way things should be done" then maybe somehting could have been salvaged, but when it is just 1 or 2 people at a time, the Lord of the Land takes no notice. It's a shame that there are so many good people up there who are too afraid to speak out.
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:58 am

Martin1970 wrote:Direct copy of my post from the Carversite

He responded to me one time about a sad song about a pet that died. He had recently lost his great friend, a dog, and was going through the process of dealing with that. I didn't know how to help other than to try to understand. When we all lost our dear friend Bill, he was among the first to step forward to say we should do all we could to do good in his honor. As far as I'm concerned, Rod is one of (if not) the most selfless and sincere people I've encountered on the internet. Certainly not a troublemaker.

I thought that perhaps he had fallen into a depression and dropped out. I was sad to see that he was gone. I really liked that guy.

And 'voila' he was gone.

Now, I know some other members have been eliminated and those situations are what they are, I can't stress enough that Rod was exactly the kind of guy that represents, to me, what this site is all about.
One sentence and no one tried to get him to reconsider. no sitting in a corner for a while. Just poof.
Would it have been good for the site to put in a little effort to try to understand the problem?
The guy had thousands of posts.

I'll agree that some form of control is good. Let's face it, there are people who just want to sabotage anything that has anything to do with Rich. I am in no position to say whether their hostility is justified or not. I'll agree that some of it is simply disruptive and has no place here. However, that is not that case with RodH. And It'll take quite a bit of convincing to get me to believe anything else.

That brings us to TNRabbit. What to say about Gary.... I guess it's only fair to say that I cannot be anything but subjective about this guy. He is my friend. He is a friend to lots and lots of people. And he has an opinion about everything and he's not afraid to express it. He might just be the most prolific poster in the history of audio forums. He is also the guy that brings these communities together. He's the first one to give out his phone number. The first to call the new guys and bring this experience out of the digital realm and into the world of reality. How many audio shut-ins has he dragged into the light? Who can know. Me for one.

Anyway, enough fawning over the guy's forum greatness. The point is, he got canned (or retired) and I say, like RodH being eliminated, it's simply not a good thing for the community. These are the two easiest, most black-and-white cases of this kind of thing. I suspect other members who are gone run the gambit from justified to unjustified.
However, I'd like to see policy change on this.
I'd like a discussion.
I'd like a vote.

I do really like this site.
I also see lots of truly good people being hurt.

(Again, this post will be copied to the other forum to ensure it's integrity is kept.)

Marty, your last line says it all. I don't want to start all the "this site, that site" stuff but please contact anyone that you can and let them know that they will be welcome here. They might have to put up with some of the other members bullshit (including mine) but that is life. All are welcome.

I didn't know Ro but BillD & I had a special relationship. Great post Marty!!
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:03 pm

Ballsy post over on the other site Martin. Challenging a DICKtator in open forum rarely ends well. I applaud you for taking him on in the open where the lies are ripped open for all to see. =D>

Looks like the rest of the board read your post, but only a few had the stones to stand with you.
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

trav0810

TFM-6cb

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:11 pm

nooshinjohn wrote:Ballsy post over on the other site Martin. Challenging a DICKtator in open forum rarely ends well. I applaud you for taking him on in the open where the lies are ripped open for all to see. =D>

I can't read anything there, but I am sure the DickP apologists are all over that thread. "This isn't your place" blah blah blah "You're just trying to cause trouble" blah blah blah
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:20 pm

I'd like a vote.

You can bet he'll be involved in it, twisting it around to suit himself. I've seen it happen.

I really don't know why ya'll bother. You can only keep a sinking ship afloat for so long.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:35 pm

nooshinjohn wrote:Looks like the rest of the board read your post, but only a few had the stones to stand with you.

John, do you truly think that would change anything? As stated if there is manipulation going on behind the scene's as suggested/proven/authenticated, then what would be the point? Posts would get deleted, votes disappear, etc.

Either way there are other places to discuss Carver gear, for instance obviously here. Lord knows we are all members of at least ONE other forum, even if its not specifically related to Carver.

Also as its Rich's board he can realistically do whatever he wants to the success or detriment of that forum. Could it be if there was a "revolution" of members there things would change, perhaps. Could it be that all those members were banned and the site shuttered due to lack of membership, perhaps. Either way he's in the driver seat and he and his moderation team dictate the tone of the forum (moderation team to whatever extent he gives them power of course)

I say everyone just jump over to AudioMilitia instead :-$. I heard its a pretty cool site

^Above statement was meant partially as a shameless plug and partially in jest #-o .
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:00 pm

Over on the other forum Snow seems to be a major player in trying to smooth things over. Maybe he is puckering up trying to reclaim his status as a moderator.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/2,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM/42,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11,5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime will come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass and I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

bob p

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:17 pm

It doesn't surprise me that when moderators leave, there would be people on the site who would pucker up, thinking that they'll advance by doing so.

There are probably a great many of the faithful over there who think that this shake-up is an opportunity for their advancement on the site.
Carver Preamps: C-1, C-2, BillD's JVD-modded C-4000, C-9
Carver Amplifiers: BillD's C-500, M-1.5t (4) PM-1.5 (4) M-500t (2)
Repair/Restoration/Upgrade expert for all of these components.
<<

trav0810

TFM-6cb

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:29 pm

hewlew1 wrote:Over on the other forum Snow seems to be a major player in trying to smooth things over. Maybe he is puckering up trying to reclaim his status as a moderator.

Head of the suck-ass committee.
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:46 pm

trav0810 wrote:
hewlew1 wrote:Over on the other forum Snow seems to be a major player in trying to smooth things over. Maybe he is puckering up trying to reclaim his status as a moderator.

Head of the suck-ass committee.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

WhackJob

M-400t CUBE

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:57 pm

I have to say that Martin1970 has no clue how much of an asshole I actually am.

Can't speak to Gary's situation though.

:lol:
Next

Return to Misc. Discussions