FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:46 am

XLR or RCA

<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:45 pm

XLR or RCA

If you had the option would you use XLR or RCA? This would go between my Theater grand processor III and my newly acquired 300X2 (when it arrives). Have a chance to buy at a good price Cardas Golden Cross XLR's. Just wanted to see what the opinions are out there comparing the two? Or maybe it would be better to play with the voltage/current source using RCA's? I have never used XLR's so really don't know if the cost would be justified. Thanks guys
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:01 pm

Re: XLR or RCA

I use the XLR's between the TG IV and the 400/5. You can go either way you want. Unless you have a very long run between the pre and amp, or are picking up noise on the RCA cables the balanced connections won't make much difference. You will notice the balanced connection will have a higher output level than the RCA's though. Compared to Unbalanced signal, Balanced signal adds about 6 to10 dB of extra headroom to your equipment so your speakers will sound louder with less gain.
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:15 pm

All things being equal, cables will alter the outcome.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

bob p

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:32 pm

XLR connectors can be either balanced or unbalanced, depending upon wiring.
RCA is unbalanced.

If the question is intended to ask whether unbalanced XLR is better than unbalanced RCA, I don't think it matters.
If the question is intended to ask whether balanced XLR is better than unbalanced RCA than I'd say yes -- go with balanced lines.
Carver Preamps: C-1, C-2, BillD's JVD-modded C-4000, C-9
Carver Amplifiers: BillD's C-500, M-1.5t (4) PM-1.5 (4) M-500t (2)
Repair/Restoration/Upgrade expert for all of these components.
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:39 pm

If the equipment and cable involved is done right, then with balanced you have no ground current flow potential.

No grounding potential differences means you don't get hum that way.

With unbalanced interconnect, it shows up much easier because you're sharing grounds and can have current loops develop between the equipment in ways the designer didn't intend.

Mark
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:02 pm

It sounds like adding headroom is a good thing, and balanced is also a good thing, might give um a try. Thanks!
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:20 pm

I use xlr between my Lightstar and Sunfire tube per. I hear the difference clearly.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:42 pm

Balanced is for using long runs of cable to reject noise. When asked, i recall bob saying he likes coax but the hifi tweaky guys wanted balanced even though no gain is accomplished and the circuit is more complex adding parts .
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

bob p

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:29 pm

No gain is accomplished?
Carver Preamps: C-1, C-2, BillD's JVD-modded C-4000, C-9
Carver Amplifiers: BillD's C-500, M-1.5t (4) PM-1.5 (4) M-500t (2)
Repair/Restoration/Upgrade expert for all of these components.
<<

Robert R

TFM-45

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:20 pm

Perhaps meant gain in the sense of "improvement in the sound" rather in the sense of voltage.

RR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:28 pm

It's always been my understanding that unless the circuitry is a true balanced design such as BAT gear there is no benefit from using XLR's.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:45 pm

I most certainly don't agree with that Jesse. (Assuming XLR=balanced) Right off the bat, balanced brings you the ability to not share grounds and common mode rejection.

There are pluses and minus's all over the place, most certainly though.

One thing I've always wanted to ask about the "it all has to be totally balanced"....if that's the goal...where does the common mode rejection come from?

Mark
<<

fill35U

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:20 am

Fiber optics solves a lot of these problems.

Should one send the inverse signal on a parallel fiber cable for true differential? :D
Current setup: Random Naked Amps Piled on Floor and/or Wedged Into Shelves

Don't call amp mutilators "butchers"- butchers are highly skilled professionals.
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:58 pm

F1nut wrote:It's always been my understanding that unless the circuitry is a true balanced design such as BAT gear there is no benefit from using XLR's.

Mine too. Also, there is negligible difference, if any, between balanced XLR connections and single-ended RCA type. The advantage (and reason for the development of XLR cables) was for long runs, e.g., concert halls and auditoriums, where cables are highly susceptible to noise pickup and common mode problems associated with long cable runs. In the average audiophile listening room, unless your room is the size of an auditorium, or your equipment's single-ended (RCA) connections are inferior due to the circuit design of the component, with respect to the XLR ones, there will be no difference in sound, given otherwise similar wire characteristics.

Return to Misc. Discussions