FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:04 am

Sonos?

<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:19 pm

Sonos?

I noticed Kingman commented on TinPan's set-up noticing the Sonos and asked how he liked this. This got me thinking this would be cool to stream. We listen to Sirius internet radio over the computer speakers (audioengine A2+) I picked up for Christmas and really love these little computer speakers > http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered ... p-Speakers

Ok getting off track! :-" Looking at the Sonos site it looks like I would need a Bridge to put closer to my router where computer is set up across room, don't really want to run a network cable that far! Ok, have Bridge, so now it looks like I need the "Connect" to place close to stereo system. My main goal would be just to access Sirius on the PC and stream to the stereo system. The front of the "Connect" only has mute, volume? It seems to me there should be a way to hook up to Sunfire processor and use that remote? I don't have a smart phone/tablet they suggest to use as "your remote" Really?

Included two pictures of the back, one the Bridge and the other the Connect. Would like to hear some comments using such a system to stream? I know the squeezebox was really popular at one time, is this a better replacement?
Attachments
bridge.detail_big.jpg
bridge.detail_big.jpg (34.23 KiB) Viewed 199 times
connect.backzoom_big.jpg
connect.backzoom_big.jpg (53.36 KiB) Viewed 199 times
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:16 pm

Re: Sonos?

I'm wanting to stream music from my computer to a source...like the squeezebox does. I think this is an upgraded and more reliable format from that. Need conformation. I have talked to a distributor who will hook me up....just need a push... ](*,)
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:50 pm

PUSH!!!

Let me know what you figure out. Thanks
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:27 pm

Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:51 am

I'v got the squeeze box touch and can't say enough good about the thing. It can play just abount any music file made. I use it for HD music mostly. There are a lot of apps available to download to the player making it more than just a player. The other nice thing is a remote to control the volume and a large clock when not listening to music. and the best part....it sounds great on a good system.
Ray
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:57 pm

1st off, you should really decide up front if you want to get sucked into the Sonos "family of products"
If you want to put little speakers all around the house, Sonos might be right for you...
If you are looking for a easy way to stream wav. FLAC. lossless audio to your REAL system, I'd go with a Squeezebox.
(you can add other SQBX radios and boomboxes as well)

I have 8 Squeezebox devices, and wouldn't switch to Sonos if you gave them to me for free.
There is no need for a bridge, other than them skimping on their devices.

Get yourself a Squeezebox Touch !!!

That unit does NOT need a computer running to access your stored media.
EVERYTHING ELSE on the market will require a PC running at all times to access your media.

The Touch allows you to plug a hard drive directly to it, so it IS the music server.
HOW TO: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... g%20TinySB

Sonos is nice... The Touch has been discontinued. But Bang for Buck, buy a SQBX Touch !!!

Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:57 pm

I don't have my computer running when I listen to my Sonos. I just have all my flacs on a NAS running off my router. You need one bridge in your system that you hang off your router. Then you need a connect to connect your DAC. They are a little expensive at $350 a pop but I haven't found anything else that works as well. You can also add more bridges if you want to extend your wireless signal. I put one in the pool house, 30 feet away and one in the garage another 70 feet away and one more 50 feet further in the garage. This way I can stream flacs anywhere on my property.

I haven't tried a touch, it probably will work well, but I was really frustrated with the drop outs and jitter in the Airport Express's and Airport extremes. For some reason the Sonos wireless network just plugs in and runs. To me that's worth $350 a pop when I want to add a system, though you can find used ones cheaper on fleece bay and agon that work fine.

All I want to do is listen to music and not geek out trying to figure :-k out why the flippin' music isn't playin' ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ....man..... \:D/

I must really suck at typing or auto correct has gone wild
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN 2.1 DAC, Oppo DV-981HD, Lowther PM4a/Azurahorn/SentryIV

2 channel - AN L3 Signature Line stage, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Altec A5's

2 channel - empty, Klipschorns

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Altec A4's
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:03 pm

I used a Squeezebox Duet for a few months before I got a separate desktop computer just for my TV and I've never looked back. I do have a few WD Live boxes that work great if you have external hard drives with tunes or movies etc., it also does not need a computer. The WD Live will go online as well and stream Netflix, Youtube or Pandora etc, great little boxes for the money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WD-TV-Live-HD-N ... 5663432da5
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:11 pm

Jag,

The bridge plugs into your router with the enet cable.

That gets you wireless.

Plug the connect's coax cable into the digital input of your sunfire. The connect is your wireless receiver and it feeds the digital signal into your preamp with the coax cable. Then you can use your sunfire remote to control the volume. You set the connect up for fixed dac output.

Or you can break all the rules like I did here and use the built in dac and the variable output from the connect, eliminating the need for a preamp. I use my iPhone to pick songs and control the volume.
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN 2.1 DAC, Oppo DV-981HD, Lowther PM4a/Azurahorn/SentryIV

2 channel - AN L3 Signature Line stage, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Altec A5's

<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:23 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys! Looks like I have a little research to do.
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:40 pm

I'm SO confused... :( :lol:
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:30 pm

I'm telling you the WD Live is something to seriously consider as it does 1080p video as well and can stream wirelessly from a NAS if you have one plus has 2 usb ports to connect hard drives. If you get the WD hub it comes with a built in 1tb drive as well. Worth taking a look at anyway as these are cheap and work well.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:10 pm

Sounds pretty good, does it have the digital coax connection?
Tinpan

<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:10 pm

HDMI or optical
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:38 am

Sonos is a very good solution. You do not need to use their speaker systems. That is what they are pushing now, but you can get away with the Connect, a Bridge and if you have an iPad or tablet you will not need their remote.

It has a good DAC, you can use an external if you don't like it, though I find it just fine and it has the ability to stream music from the internet or from a source on your network like a PC or a media server.

Sonos was around before Logitech and they are still making a streaming audio system while Logitech no longer makes any audio streaming systems so you will have to buy used and they no longer support them while Sonos still does have support and updates available.

I have owned both, the Squeezebox Duet and the Sonos Connect. I cannot count how many issues I had with the Squeezebox. I have had no issues at all with the Sonos system.

I wish I would have bought the Sonos first and never bought into the Squeezebox system.
Some cool Carver stuff!
Next

Return to Misc. Discussions