What else do you do beside listen to the hifi?

Not sure where to post your Carver topic... Try here.
Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

What else do you do beside listen to the hifi?

Post by Magnaryder » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:38 am

Last year I found myself in need of a new car. I first found a 1979 Trans Am. A red 400 4-speed car with fresh paint and in truly nice condition for an Ohio car of its vintage. It was in need of some incidentals and while I pondered the sale it was sold. Well in all truthfulness I needed a daily driver and not a toy(money pit). Next up were several Corvettes. Sherry wasn't a fan. I loved them but they needed more work than I wanted to do.

Filling in at one of our residences, I stumbled across a 2008 Grand Prix. Nice condition, usefully optioned and only 127k on the clock. $4500. A day later it was mine. I promptly installed a K&N airfilter and modded the brakes and suspension. SS lines, Powerstop calipers and slotted/drilled rotors. Lemme tell you this bitch STOPS. A complete rebuild of the front end, oversize front and rear forged stabilizer bars, KYB struts and Eibach springs to finish the suspension. Then I ran out of things to do to it. There is no upgrade path for the 2008. No supercharger, no big cams headers...nothin. Damn!

So, what's an aging hot rodder to do? Build a new car:-) Hell yes, but what?

An associate of mine was scrapping an old RV. It had a 1978 Dodge 360 4BBL RV engine and 727 Torqueflight tranny behind it. $450 and it's mine. What to do now. Back in the day you just strolled down to the local bones and picked up some 'new' rod parts. Well not today. They're all gone. All that's left is new stuff.

Hmmm. Lets peruse the web and see what's to be seen. The 360 has gobs of potential. With some hard work and ingenuity a guy can get 400HP at the crank. 500 is easily possible too! There are several stroker kits taking you from 360 to 468 cubic inches. What if....you shopped a bit in the used market for some hop up goodies to keep costs down. Off to Craigslist I go. This past week I found a pristine dual-plane MOPAR intake from a 1969 Duster, a jet kit for the ThemoQuad 900, an MSD ProBillet distributor, .500 inch lift Crane valve springs, and a set of Harlan Sharp roller rockers. Ferenghi approved at $375. BIG score. The Sharp rockers retail for $900 alone and the MSD distributor is close to $400. I did pretty well. Its a good start. More shopping. I met a fellow MOPAR enthusiast in Columbus whom I bought some of those parts from. Gavin belongs to the MOPAR club there and is helping me with parts acquisition.

Buying parts is easy, planning the machine work is another thing entirely. There are alot of interwoven considerations to be made. I want to do a serious port and polish and possibly cut in a 2.02 in intake valve. The heads on the engine are 1978 360 RV units, and while they don't have any smog gear attached, they are smog heads. There are provisions in the castings for the smog add ons. A good port and polish will allow the heads to flow good enough for street/strip racing and cruising.

All of this is going to require more research than I've done to this point. I don't want to machine or mod anything I can't undo. This week I'll be tearing the engine down and examining the parts. The block and heads go off to Magnflux and hot tank. The block gets checked for cracks, then gets align-bored/honed then the piston bores get examined to see if they need bored due to wear. At that point I'll know what size the new forged pistons will be.

The reciprocating mass will get an internal balance to within <.1gm. I want to design the bottom end(block, crank, rods and pistons as sort of a stand alone unit. Meaning, building it with balanced forgings that will allow compression changes to be done via cylinder head, cam and intake changes to handle fuel management.

This is where all of my planning gets convoluted. I've decided on a Forged crank, rods and pistons. The valve relief cuts into the piston are determined by your camshaft lift and to some extent duration. If the valve lift is over .500 inch at the valve the valve guides need machined inside the 360 RV head to prevent the retainer from impacting the top of the guide. That means you have to know what cam you're using BEFORE you can do any head work. Compression ratios supported by current fuel are limited to roughly 10:1 for aluminum and 9.5:1 for cast iron heads on pump gas, but that can change due to piston configuration (crown or dish volume) and chamber size not to mention gas formulations. E85 fuels will support higher combustion pressures as E85 has a 100-105 research octane value allowing the builder to raise the compression ratio thereby increasing power. While E85 is a staple here in Ohio, I don't know about other places I might want to drive the vehicle. Decking the block is also a consideration if the pistons sit too low in the bores. I may need to do that in order for the pistons to supply the correct compression ratio. Sheesh. This could be a long project.

I think I've found a suitable platform(car) to complete the project, but we'll see. I'm still thinking about aesthetics.

To Farmtruck or not to Farmtruck.....that is the question.

ray

anyone got any old MOPAR rod stuff lying around?
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

BrianT
Pair of Silver Sevens

Re: What else do you beside listen to the hifi?

Post by BrianT » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:27 am

Ray

That sounds like you are having fun, good luck on your project.

That reminds me of when I rebuilt a 1978 Camaro Z28, when I was finished
it would do zero-60mph and back down to zero in a tad over 6 seconds

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (black)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Devialet 440PRO Mono Blocks
Audioprana SP/DIF-AES/EBU cable
Auralic Aires G2 Music Server
Audience AU24 USB cable
B&W 803D3 Speakers (black)
Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:40 am

I thought about building a Cheby but everyone is doing it. They're putting LS motors in Mustangs and Darts. Travesty I say! Bet that was a fun build Brian. Today I'm putting together the 1000lb engine stand I bought yesterday. 2 of my reference books came yesterday. I spent the better part of last evening with my nose in them. Lots of good stuff.

ray

Then I found this.....ugly as hell but VERY RARE
1978 Richard Petty Special.jpg
Looking at it Saturday
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:17 pm

Sounds like an awesome project Ray. Didn't know u were a gearhead. Keep us posted on your progress.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:13 pm

I DESIGN & BUILD SHIT !!!

My Train Addiction:

Frank Lloyd Wright style lamp:

BIG ASS LEGO:

BIG ASS SPEAKERS:

BIG ASS MODELS:

BrianT
Pair of Silver Sevens

Re: What else do you do beside listen to the hifi?

Post by BrianT » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:11 pm

James

Thats some real nice work =D>

Brian
Audience AU24 USB cable
Carver TX11

frankieD
Frankie The Mouth

Post by frankieD » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:55 pm

So James...is that all ?

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:56 pm

Fucking sweet man!!!!

ray
Magnaryder

peck555
TFM-6cb

Post by peck555 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:05 am

Very nice James, you are one busy guy

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:35 pm

The Dodge 360 arrived at my office Friday. Oh yeah, it's a mess. But at least it has not been out in the weather. Tomorrow I'll get stared on the cleanup and prepare for the tear down. It has to be scrubbed and lathered down with penetrating oil to assist the tear down.

IMG_4056.JPG

As you'll recall I bought some workbench reference manual on rebuilding and stroking the Mopar small blocks. I'm beginning to formulate a rebuild plan for the motor. I've solidified the bottom end(short-block) will be competition forgings making it scalable to almost any extent down the road. I decided not to mod the RV heads at this time and I'm picking up a set of 340 X heads this week. The plan is to clean up the bowls, port match and polish the runners. I'll need to have the guides cut down to accept the larger lift from the roller cam. These heads flow really well and will be a great addition to the build and the cost of the X heads plus machine work is just a tad more than the RV heads and there is much greater potential in the X heads.

I acquired a Dana 60 rear end with 3.55 gears for some EI gold pin tubes I had on hand. SCORE!! While I'm a huge fan of the Torqueflight 727s, I'm still trying to find an overdrive trans that will handle the additional horsepower or some lower gears <3.23 that will get the highway revs and noise down to acceptable level if I ever expect Sherry to get in the car.

I've come up with a paint scheme for the exterior that's unique too!

So all i need is a car.

ray
Magnaryder

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:01 pm

I hope to pick up the 340X heads Saturday, with any luck. If the seats are untouched I'll need to have new hardened parts pressed in to the tune of $250. That doesn't includes valves, springs, retainers, locks and any other machine work that's needed. And that's just the heads.....sheesh

ray

bleeding $$$ :shock:
Magnaryder

hewlew1
"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post by hewlew1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:02 pm

As the saying goes Ray , the difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:14 pm

Finally got my prototype running !!!

https://www.facebook.com/Shinkansen500/ ... 288922079/

BrianT
Pair of Silver Sevens

Post by BrianT » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:13 pm

Looking GREAT James. =D>
Audience AU24 USB cable
Carver TX11

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:39 pm

Well I finally found a vehicle someone would sell to me.

I ended up with a black 1999 Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T. 166K on the clock. Very little rust for a 19 yr old Ohio truck. The engine is in very good condition....even better than my Durango, which is nothing short of amazing. It idles dead silent. It has some small issues but since I stole it I don't mind so much.

The clear on the cab top and hood has peeled off leaving the base behind, so I'll prep it and shoot fresh base/clear and touch up some other small places. A quick trip to the bones Saturday to replace the grill, console cover, headlamp shells that I installed Sunday and a trip this next week (weather permitting) to pick up a front bumper cover will complete my must do list. The rear bumper has some scale but a quick media blast will have it ready for paint prep.

I have some speed parts I picked up to get a little more juice under the hood, but that will have to wait until after the 'Fest in September.

I'm away from my office training in Tiffin for the next 2 days. I'll post some pics and video when Sherry and I get back from Pittsburgh, we're spending Easter with family and visiting the Pittsburgh Toms, BearJew and some other folks in the area.

ray
Magnaryder

Return to “Misc. Discussions”