FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:17 am

What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:22 pm

What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

OK, treitz3 & I were talking about doing this last night.

I figure we all have something to learn about different music so post up & maybe we'll learn something new! Please give at least Artist/Song/Album; add if it's in Redbook or SACD format and maybe even a label if you want to. Feel free to insert links to a clip if you want!

Listening to:

Steely Dan, "Everything Must Go" from the CD of the same name, on Reprise label, in Redbook format. This is a great CD. Here's a YouTube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD0RGUfoQGs
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:36 pm

The installation DVD for my new video surveillance camera. Before that, Chris de Burgh, Spanish Train And Other Stories on A&M CD (Redbook I guess)
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:36 pm

RUSH & METALICA ! O:)
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:04 pm

-quote; RUSH & METALICA !

-i would'nt admit to that...hehe

-the flower kings/retropolitis1995

-love those pingpong balls \:D/ ...too hip
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:07 pm

maddmaxxx wrote:-quote; RUSH & METALICA !

-i would'nt admit to that...hehe

-the flower kings/retropolitis1995

-love those pingpong balls \:D/ ...too hip

Actually I haven't listened to either in quite awhile. I just thought I'd say it !
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:17 pm

-hay, 99.1% of my 'reference' stuff...'ll never be on sacd...
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

weitrhino

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:19 pm

Bootcut. Hammond vs Drums

Classic sounding jazzed up drumming with that unmistakeable Hammond organ sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdMeRw4XzzU
Last edited by weitrhino on Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:34 pm

U2, Rattle & Hum, Island Records CD
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:27 am

Artist: Cream
Album: Disraeli Gears (Remasters)

Later tonight, I'll be listening to: Jimi Hendrix "Live at Monterey" and the new Eagles album "Long Road Of Eden".

I should have never wandered over to the "Electronics" section of WalMart this afternoon when I was picking up groceries...

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:31 am

Fleetwood Mac, Rumors, Warner Brothers CD
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:38 am

Interesting note about that Hendrix "Monterey" recording. Supposedly, Jimi was tripping balls during this performance, but you'd never know from his guitar playing--it is exemplary Hendrix, both creatively and technically...

However, you CAN tell from his voice, he "peaks" sometime around "Purple Haze", and it shows.

But the last track, "Wild Thing" is just about the most far-out thing you'll ever hear played on electric guitar, next to his signature rendition of the National Anthem from Woodstock.

One can only imagine what it must have been like to see this guy perform live, especially back in those crazy, free, innoscent days of the lat 1960's. Hendrix is mind-blowing to us today, after 30 years of "heavy metal", the punk movement, speed metal, all the self-righteous pseudo art-rock bullshit that came out of Seattle in the '80's, and everything else. It's hard to imagine what people in 1968, less than 10 years after "do-wop" and Motown, must have thought when they saw this guy...

Hendrix's death was indeed a tremendous loss to the world of music, art, and modern western culture. Like Jim Morrison, he was a post-modern Shaman, on the road to Electric Enlightenment, and he shocked an entire generation into temporary clarity.

Too bad about the '70's and '80's when they all graduated form college, got jobs working for the Man, and forgot everything they learned at Monterey and on Yasgur's farm in Bethel NY. May the Gods have mercy upon their souls, for voluntarily abandoning their Birthright of Freedom, Love, and Cooperation.

Or maybe it was just bad memory recall from all the acid... ;)

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

oldschooler

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:10 am

really....

RUSH!!!

Malignant Narcisismismismism or however the hell you spell it...6 killians maxe me a bat speler[/b]
"She didn't look like a cop!"
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:33 am

Dreamer wrote:
Or maybe it was just bad memory recall from all the acid... ;)

--Richard

Orange juice is acid too ya know .... Just as hard on the system, especially when mixed with 3 kinds of rum ........... O:)

And funny you should mention Wild Thing Dreamer. I just relistened to the original recording of it by the Troggs. Want to talk about a horrible recording? Its a wonder the song ever became a hit!
<<

tomstat

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:09 am

I'm listening to my coworkers bicker.

Later, I plan to listen to Beethoven, either the 5th or 9th.
ImageImage
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:16 am

The original Troggs version was released before FM radio became big in the US, so I'm sure it sounded like just about everything else that was airing on AM those days--crappy, compressed, and full of tape hiss...

Anyway, right now I'm listening to what is possibly the polar opposite of the music spectrum--Nora Jones' album "Come Away With Me", particularly the songs "Lonestar" and "One Flight Down". Soulful, beautifully recorded, and tight...

Jones' voice is perhaps not as sophisticated as Diana Krall, owing I suppose to the fact that she's about 15 years younger than Krall, and Jones might not have the stratospheric "gospel choir" range of Eva Cassidy, but there is a quality of "worldliness" that belies her years to her voice, and her phrasing and grasp of pace and pause is deceptively sensual in it's simplicity. Truth be told, EVERY track on this disc is pretty engaging, even if the mixing and mic-ing of the instruments is a little wonky in places (I'm convinced that whoever mic'd her piano needs to be fired, and replaced with the same guy who mic's Diana Krall's piano...).

And for those of you who are cognizant of time-stamps, no, I DON'T sleep much, at least not at night... ;)
--Richard

Next

Return to Misc. Discussions