FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:36 pm

BUYERS AND SELLERS BEWARE!

<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: BUYERS AND SELLERS BEWARE!

Yes, I printed out all his emails (with routing headers) and will contact the feds tomorrow to hand the money order and printouts. Maybe something will get done
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:14 pm

RichP714 wrote:Yes, I printed out all his emails (with routing headers) and will contact the feds tomorrow to hand the money order and printouts. Maybe something will get done

Oh, and don't forget to KEEP the amp Rich!
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:19 am

Jumping in kinda late,, but I heard about this on Clark Howard's radio show,,you receive the check/mo, deposit it in your bank and it appears that you have the money,, until days later the certified check/mo does not clear and your bank takes the monies(deposit) back,, you're out whatever you spent from it,so to speak. It seems that some people think/feel that once the bank adds the check amount to your account,it's ok/cleared,, only to find that days later,it was no good,and the bank has deducted the amount from you account. A real slick scam,, seems that you can only trust those you know anymore,,sad.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:28 am

Usually, this scam involves a Money Order or Bank Check from an overseas (fictional) bank...

I met someone was was actually taken for a $17,000.00 Jeep by a scam like this.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:54 pm

zoothorn wrote:..... only to find that days later,it was no good,and the bank has deducted the amount from you account. A real slick scam,, seems that you can only trust those you know anymore,,sad.
Wow.....see, I'd think that if the bank deposited the amount into your account, it should be on THEM if they later discover it's counterfeit......I guess the bankers get 'do overs'?
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:58 pm

Sure — just look at the "do over" the government is giving them! :x
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:09 pm

Its called a chargeback Rich. The terms of it are clearly spelled out in the contract you sign when you open a bank accout in the fine print no one ever bothers to read.

You bank clears it with the other bank who takes a few days before finally clearing it on their end. If it is bad, then it gets charged back from the other bank to you bank who then debits it from your account. Usually the whole process can take up to 10 to 14 business days. That is how my bank manager explained it to me a few years ago. The problem lies in the way that American banks are structured; only the big major banks do business directly with each other; all of the smaller banks deal with other banks who deal with the big banks, so a cheque can go through 5 or 6 banks before finally getting to its final destination and getting returned back through the same 5 or 6 banks, each one taking at least 1 business day to process the transaction.

The only "safe" bank transactions appear to be those done within the same bank of from 1 major bank to another and even then, you have to allow 10 days AFTER a cheque clears before going through with any transaction.

Canadian banks ate different as there are only 6 major banks and 3 or 4 credit unions to deal with and they all deal directly with each other reducing those delays to only 3 or 4 days instead of 10-14 days (smaller country, hundreds less number of banks, easier manage and deal directly with each other).

That is why PayPal and Credit Cards are the ONLY way to go for on-line transactions as at least they offer you some level of protection as part of the service fees they charge you. I haven't accepted cheques from anyone in decades as they are, by far, the most common form of financial consumer fraud that exist. Hell, I wouldn't even take a cheque from my own mother!!!
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:35 pm

Yeah, but that's your mother :D
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:11 pm

BillD wrote:Yeah, but that's your mother :D

I trust my mother Bill, I just don't trust cheques!
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:38 pm

It's just as you said Obi, I reported it to the FBI, who didn't seem too interested, in that it 'happens all the time'. They pointed me to their internet crimes complaint website, and I filed a complaint.
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:53 pm

RichP714 wrote:It's just as you said Obi, I reported it to the FBI, who didn't seem too interested, in that it 'happens all the time'. They pointed me to their internet crimes complaint website, and I filed a complaint.

Its a pity that this sort of crime has become so prevalent that it has almost become like small potatoes to the FBI. They seem to have much begger fish to fry these days.
<<

TNRabbit

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:08 pm

OBI56 wrote:
RichP714 wrote:It's just as you said Obi, I reported it to the FBI, who didn't seem too interested, in that it 'happens all the time'. They pointed me to their internet crimes complaint website, and I filed a complaint.

Its a pity that this sort of crime has become so prevalent that it has almost become like small potatoes to the FBI. They seem to have much begger fish to fry these days.

It doesn't seem they have much bigger fish to fry; they DO have bigger fish to fry. They're stretched pretty thin these days with terrorism investigations. I've filed a complaint with the FBI internet crimes website & never heard another word.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

kingman

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:06 pm

Thanks for the heads up!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

TORO3

M-400t CUBE

Post Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:10 pm

I'm really liking this thread. If you all don't mind, I'm gonna throw in a link that will route people to the Carver thread (which is in Super Deals) that discusses Digital and Elegant Audio. This might be beneficial for fellow newbies like me.

viewtopic.php?f=115&t=12545

Original Post from Polk:
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106589

Hope I'm not stepping on anybody's feet.
Sunfire CRM2s, Sunfire CRS3C, Sunfire Cinema Seven, Harmon Kardon AVR240, Sony RCD-W5000

UDUB Football!
<<

Glenlivet

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:59 am

There's a seller on eBay right now, trying once again to sell an unsigned 300WPC Carver stereo amp and calling it a 600 WPC amp.
I have already established through the Sunfire help line that this isn't a 600 watt signature but must be a 300 Watt stereo amp and have been in communication with this guy about it and he knows. He was all apologetic and innocent about it all...
Yet here it is again, offered as the 600 watt into 8 ohm load invariant amp.
Wonder what his wide eyed innocent excuse will be this time. Mind it's only a 3 day auction. Trying to banzai it out, looks like.
The seller is whit-818
Buyer beware.
PreviousNext

Return to Misc. Discussions