Ever leave anybody a negative?

Problems with E-bay? Let us know.

Moderator: Audioshopper

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Ever leave anybody a negative?

Post by radioeng2 » Sun May 17, 2015 10:10 am

I've done a lot of business over time on eBay. My experience has been very good on a whole for sure.

But after about 15 years, I've had to leave what I think is my first negative feedback. And I kind of don't like to, even though I think it's very justified. I've got a perfect record and not even hardly had to file any complaints on anybody before and don't want to blemish that.

Some of why I don't have much trouble is I'm pretty careful about looking at their track record and shy away from problem people. But the guy had an unblimished 84 positives. That's not that much record, but this wasn't much money and nothing to throw any red flags.

But I bought a pair of interconnect cables from a guy for about $30. At least half of new, probably more. I wouldn't have gone too high on them because he listed shipping at $12 and to me that was about the upper end of what it should be. I always look at shipping and just from the beginning consider that part of the purchase price. The cables originally come from the manufacturer in a decent box that might maybe take that much to ship and he didn't say they'd come in that, but they appeared to be new enough it was possible.

So then I'm looking and he had a pair of speaker cables with the speakon ends. I've got some amps around that use speakon so when I see they were at 99 cents starting and they had no bids, looked brand new and were about to end, I thought what the heck. Sure enough, I hang for about 10 minutes and win them for the starting price HE established. I'd meantime looked them up and they were a Guitar Center brand and I think went for like about $30 or so.

Well, those were listed with the same $12 shipping. So after it ends I sent a nice note asking if we could combine the shipment and save some on shipping. So the way I worded it, I didn't demand free on the second set. I left him some room to come back with something other than the $12 each.

So he responded after about a day with "pay the invoice". Not even nice at all, just curt and demanding. That being the winning bid on each plus the $12 on each. So of course, in a few days I get the box that has both cables in the same one. That's when you get real bent out of shape. It didn't even cost the $12 to ship the single box!

I've had people refund a dollar when I had two CD's from the same guy. Ones I didn't even notice were from the same seller. I've had really quite a few people really do things they didn't have to. Yet once in a while there's a turd in the punch bowl.

So I left the guy a negative today on each cable. And now have to wonder what he or eBay will do. Or nothing. He's not a volume seller or anything so he may just not care. He has nothing up for sale now at all. He has sold some things along. I feel certain, he listed those speaker cables with way too low a starting bid and he just wanted to make up for it. His mistake and shouldn't be rolled over on to me.

Have you had to leave negatives? Did they just slam you back or does eBay leave them room to rework the deal and make their negative disappear?

Mark
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Ever leave anybody a negative?

Post by jjptkd » Sun May 17, 2015 10:40 am

It is impossible for a seller to leave a negative feedback, they don't even give them the option. If they leave a negative "sounding" positive feedback for you all you have to do is notify eBay and they will remove it.

Whether or not you should of left a negative is a different story all together. From what I understand from your story you agreed to buy and pay for the items as stated in the listings and unless he said that he would offer combined shipping before you bid or bought the items you should not have just assumed that he would. As you stated yourself shipping cost is part of the price of the item.
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

frenchguy
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by frenchguy » Sun May 17, 2015 10:52 am

I understand your frustration Mark! ](*,) but I really agree with what jesse said that you agreed to pay the $12 shipping on each item by bidding on them! you probably should have sent him a message before bidding to see if he would be willing to combine shipping on both items if you bought them both! :-" I also look at the shipping charges & decide if it is reasonable or not, but bottom line is that what was stated in the listing & you choose to buy it as stated so he didnt need to change anything if he didnt want to! 8)
Carver Silver 7t mono blocks, Carver M-4.0t & 2 tfm 42,s. ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t,TX11 tuner, jolida jd 100A. JBL L96 & JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Dared MP-5BT Integrated vacuum tube amp, 2 sets of Carver Amazing Silver speakers, oak & black. Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Tesla audio Carverfest satellite ribbon speakers & stands & Douglas connection cables

frankieD
Frankie The Mouth

Post by frankieD » Sun May 17, 2015 12:13 pm

Mark, I understand your frustration but I too think that the "shipping" is usually part of the price.

I recently bought a book from Amazon. It was out of print ( "The wellsprings of life" By Issac Asimov 1961) and Amazon was the only place I found it.

It was offered used for $3.99/free shipping from one source and .01 (That's right one penny) with shipping at $3.99 from another source.

Six of one....

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Sun May 17, 2015 2:45 pm

I actually feel bad for this seller. He did everything he was obligated to do and sounds like in a timely fashion. You agreed to buy a couple of his items for a set price and you received the items exactly as described within 3 days and you left him a negative? =;
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Sun May 17, 2015 4:15 pm

Part of the eBay thing is that you do not make money from shipping! Why do you think sellers rebate you money when they can ship combined items? Cause they can't use money?

You feel sorry for him? Charging separate shipping yet throwing both pieces in the same box that cost less than the single price to ship? Remind me not to buy from you at that rate. Wow!!

It was out and out highway robbery!! Do you also support armed robbery as a right?
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

mbskeam
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by mbskeam » Sun May 17, 2015 8:28 pm

dont feel bad, paid something like 8 bucks for shipping then get part with 1.75 in stamps and in a used shipping envelope.....
the only time I slammed a guy was for the Xtra handling fee that was added AFTER the item was bid on.TFM75 cost me an xtra 50, funny this was just about his paypal fee, he was pissed the amp didn't sell for more. so I wait till the last day,hr. and give him the neg he was not happy. FUCK UM.....
Mbskeam

SILVER 7's
Amazing Line Source
2 SVS PB16 SUBS
#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
WTL Amadeus GTA+DV DRT XV-1t
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Mon May 18, 2015 5:37 am

Mark, would you rather be right, or happy?

While it would have been courteous of him to combine shipping, be was under no obligation to do so.

Take a deep breath, exhale that resentment & have a great day!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

EndersShadow
TFM-55

Post by EndersShadow » Mon May 18, 2015 9:06 am

It happens Mark.

I bought something from a company in Storage Wars with a BUNCH of good ratings. Heck they advertise they are on a show so I figured they would be legit.

Paid within 1 min of winning. Waited 3 weeks for anything from them. Sent them 3 eBay messages, messaged their Company Facebook page nothing..

Left a negative, boom item shipped next day.

Best part for me... They never claimed the money sent via PayPal so after 30 days it came back to me and haven't heard a word from them since then. So I basically got a 5m Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI cable for free.

So I would just see what happens but feedback is there for a reason. Sometimes things don't work out but I agree the shipping cost shouldn't be a way to make more money off you, however it happens.
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas

Return to “E-Bay Boondoggles”