Be Careful on ebay

Problems with E-bay? Let us know.

Moderator: Audioshopper

hongman
Newbie 50+

Be Careful on ebay

Post by hongman » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:21 pm

Hi Carver Nutz,

I just thought I would let you know about a scam I discovered while fantasy surfing some e-bay auctions for Carver, McIntosh, and other gear about 1 day ago. I ran across some auctions offering hi-end audio gear with really low $.99 starting bids, and short 1-3 day auction duration. The Seller was listed as "wildcardgolf", a site I know did not offer (usually) audio equipment. Clicking on the "Veiw Seller's other items" took one to a real enuff looking ebay seller's site, with audio equipment listings sprinkled between those for golf clubs, etc. However, the site's categories listing on the left toolbar did not list any audio equipment. Suspicious, I notified ebay, and they just got back to me saying someone had taken over wildcardgolf's seller site and inserted fake ebay auctions. E-bay is in the process today of restoring a secure site for wildcardgolf. While I have successfully bought some nice stuff from honest ebay sellers (I have only been burned once!), these kind of scams are increasing in number and sophistication. Be very careful out there in the cybermarketplace. Steve \:D/

tomstat
SILVER-7t

Post by tomstat » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:11 pm

Thanks for the note, be sure to check out the Ebay Boondoggles forum for some very interesting threads regarding Ebay and Paypal fraud.

ac427cobra

Post by ac427cobra » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:11 pm

I had a similar experience about three weeks ago. Someone hacked my account (I have no clue how) and listed about 200 dell computers. Laptops and such. Ebay caught it and I discovered it because I was unable to log onto my account. My password at the time contained 8 letters and four numbers so it sure as hell would be tough to hack?

Ebay is a great place, just exercise a little caution.
Bruce

Return to “E-Bay Boondoggles”