eBay Advice

Problems with E-bay? Let us know.

Moderator: Audioshopper

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

eBay Advice

Post by TNRabbit » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:26 pm

I just pulled this off the Klipsch forum and it has some excellent observations & advice:

I'ts been a busy month or so selling the stuff I no longer need on ebay. For the most part it's been intresting, but not something I would do for the long term. Most sales have turned out better then expected. I got a notice a few days ago that my volume was enought to rate me as a power seller......and as a reward.....I now get flooded with identity theft email tactics from very clever individuals. I also seen a few intresting tactics by folks also selling the same items you are. Here are some high lights.

a. If you list an item that suddenly does real well. You can expect a season ebay seller to list the exact same item and end his auction 15 minutes before yours. Next you will see a few bids by folks with low feedback inflated past the new list cost of the item. Finally, before the end of the auction, the inflated bids are cancelled, the other seller makes out with a decent sale from the folks he steered away from your listing, and your item is still unsold. You can't check how many times the other seller has done this, since all bidders from previous transactions are generic.

b. Never respond to questions and not choose the option to hide your email address. Never respond to any questions outside of the ebay messaging system. Allowing buyers to have emails from you provides the message headers they need to win most appeals for reversing actions. For example. If you make a sale, and the buyer sends you an email asking to be notified when the item is shipped, respond thru the ebay messaging system. A bidder who does not pay, and you initate a non-paying bidder dispute for, and close with the assumption that he will get a non-paying bidder strike, can submitt and easliy win an appeal to reverse the strike if he submitts your email header and states he thought you and him were in a greement. He can edit the email and copy and paste it to say anything. The key element is the mail header. You will not get notified that he requested a reversal, or see what he sent in. If you check later, you will see strike reveresed, but won't know why.

c. Make sure you exclude Hawaiia, Puerto Rico, Alaska, and other off shore US relationships in any shipping estimates,by so stating, else, there may be some mis-understanding about actual shipping costs.

d. No matter how tempting, the offer, responding to ending an auction early can only bite you in the a_s.

e. Don't assume the rules you played by as a buyer are in effect as a seller. If the winning bidder decides to retract his winning bid at the last minute, don't assume that the second highest winning bid understands he is now the winner and should pay. Your auction basiclly went down the tubes. An heaven help you if you sent the number 2 guy emails to verify or clarifiy his next steps. You will wind up in senerio "B" above.

f. You will get flooded with questions that the seller thinks will wear you down and lower your price expectations. None of these messages make any sense. You should reply through the message system only and restrict the buyers from seeing your email address. Do not post answers to your listing that won't help communicate your item's features and benifets.

g. Turn off your notifications to your email. A notification is when you get an email with a copy of a message in your ebay messaging system. These notifications are nothing but trouble. If you make the mistake of using the respond now button instead of exiting your emails system and logging directly into ebay to answer your recieved questions, you may wind up on an off shore web site trying to intiate identity theft tactic's. Some of thes emails have ip addresses after the http:// which is an indication you are a target. If you use the respond now button, and log in, you just gave away your ID and password. You can expect strange emails, strange listings, and strange purchases.

h. Do not respond to what appears to be ebay notices stating that someone wants to buy your item, but seen one with the same photos and now does not know which is which and ask you to check an inclosed link. That link is not for an ebay site, but rather and offshore identity theft ring trying to obtian your account info.

i. Do not respond to emails that appear to be from ebay, warning you about the user ID in item h. above. It's the same guy, trying another approach of getting your info. He is hoping you will click on the respond now button this way since he did not get you the other way.

j. Don't get excited about having 25+ folks watching your listing. These are not all buyers. The process used by the spoofing web sites to attack you emulates a buyer who is watching your listing. You have just been tagged in someones robo attack system.

k. Most important of all, do not use the same user ID and password that you use for ebay as your mail password and your paypal password. They should all be different in the event one is compromised, the damaged will be minimal.

l. If you think you have been penetrated by a idenity theft expert, change all your passwords first. Check for bogus listings and transactions and report them.

m. Use a credit card or visa debit card linked to your paypal account only. Do not use an account that does not have a visa debit card on it. If you become a victim to identity theft, and the transactions where thru your visa debit card, you can do a charge back.

Well, it's been a busy month and a lot of fun selling on ebay. Congratulations, your now a power seller, welcome aboard, enjoy your benifets, and by all means, we want to thank you for using Ebay.

Excuse me, I think the FBI is knocking on my door. Apparently someone bought some weapons using my ebay ID and shipped them overseas, and the FBI wants to discuss.

TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

DJMARK
M-400t CUBE

Post by DJMARK » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:07 pm

Haha, Good luck with the FBI thing....

maybe you can add what i have been saying about the ebay sniper or last second bidding, not necessarily a threat but it makes ebay very disappointing...

_Mark
All Carver Mobile DJ
Carver PM-175 ( X 2)

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:55 pm

Last second bidding has been happending since I first became an ebay bidder in 1998.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

elgrau
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by elgrau » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:58 pm

No offense to the guy from the "Klipsch" forum, but his writing skills were so poor I had a real hard time understanding half of what he was talking about. It sounded like good stuff; too bad his ability to communicate it sucks. God, has our education system broken down so completely that people can't put together legible sentences anymore? ](*,)
FR: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
LR: AudioEngine wireless link from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 6.5" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-634x 3-4 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: 300 disk changer to Entech 202.5 DAC to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.

maddmaxxx
(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post by maddmaxxx » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:43 pm

-dr.elgrau ; funny , i could understand it....is'nt that typical , for me ??...,still typ'in left fingered....peace/mx
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro

elgrau
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by elgrau » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:15 pm

Madd,
I now speak "maddmax"...you I can understand; this guy, no way..."maddmax shorthand" is Shakespear compared to him ](*,)
FR: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
LR: AudioEngine wireless link from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 6.5" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-634x 3-4 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: 300 disk changer to Entech 202.5 DAC to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.

Bill
SILVER-7t

Post by Bill » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:21 pm

elgrau wrote:Madd,
I now speak "maddmax"...you I can understand; this guy, no way..."maddmax shorthand" is Shakespear compared to him ](*,)
I would have to agree.....It took a couple of re-reads to get all of that one.... #-o
You can't fix stupid.
George wrote:In certain configurations you need a permission slip from your Mom to bridge amps.

Return to “E-Bay Boondoggles”