ebay/paypal got your back?

Problems with E-bay? Let us know.

Moderator: Audioshopper

RichP714
SILVER-7t

ebay/paypal got your back?

Post by RichP714 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:44 am

I bought a digital camera for our son, who graduated army basic, before his deployment overseas. I received a different model, one that retails for $100 LESS than what I paid. He'd already opened it and liked it; becasue it was black and the one I'd ordered, although better in most ways, was silver.

So, a few emails back and forth with an arrogant seller, and he quit responding, so I left neg feedback and filed a paypal claim (significantly not as described). Just got an email from paypal, and after three days of their most concentrated deliberation, they've decided that this bait and switch does NOT fit their definition of 'item significantly not as described"
so I paid $100 too much, and in fact could have got the same unit BRAND new for $100 less

weitrhino
SILVER-7t

Re: ebay/paypal got your back?

Post by weitrhino » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:02 pm

Un-flippin-believeable.

snarffydoggy
SILVER-7t

Post by snarffydoggy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:06 pm

It really sucks that the only satisfaction you get is to leave a negative feedback.
snarffydoggy

gdb
SILVER-7t

Post by gdb » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:26 pm

Same thing happened to me, here's a tip, a paypal person said that I should turn it over to my credit card company. They will retrieve your money,you can also phone the seller and try to reason with them. If they don't want to play ball, you should inform them that your next step will be to file a Federal Mail Fraud complaint against them! That might put a little pucker in their sphincter! Good luck! gdb PS The Feds also regulate interstate shipping, not just USPS.

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:43 pm

This could not have happened to a better person. Flea-Prey needs to do the right thing. Have they no morals?

It's shit like this that makes it a criminals paradise. :evil: :evil: :evil:
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Reese
TFM-75

Post by Reese » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:47 pm

RichP714 wrote:I bought a digital camera for our son, who graduated army basic, before his deployment overseas. I received a different model, one that retails for $100 LESS than what I paid. He'd already opened it and liked it; becasue it was black and the one I'd ordered, although better in most ways, was silver.

So, a few emails back and forth with an arrogant seller, and he quit responding, so I left neg feedback and filed a paypal claim (significantly not as described). Just got an email from paypal, and after three days of their most concentrated deliberation, they've decided that this bait and switch does NOT fit their definition of 'item significantly not as described"
so I paid $100 too much, and in fact could have got the same unit BRAND new for $100 less

If you did use a credit card through PayPal instead of moving cash/bank transfer -- I would surely investigate getting the credit card company behind you on this to reverse the charge and/or return the item and get your refund. I hope you get some recompense, Rich

Reese
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge

RichP714
SILVER-7t

Post by RichP714 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:08 pm

Reese wrote:.....If you did use a credit card through PayPal instead of moving cash/bank transfer -- I would surely investigate getting the credit card company behind you on this to reverse the charge and/or return the item and get your refund. I hope you get some recompense, Rich

Reese
Unfortunately, it was a checking account transfer; don't really know what else I can do but try to appeal paypal's 'decision'

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:50 pm

Rich, I'd appeal AND change your PayPal account to take money from a credit card. I changed mine after hearing the war stories here. Now, mine comes off of American Express. I've had good luck with them when an online store tried to rip me off for $400. Got my money and the guy lost his Amex charge privileges.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

RichP714
SILVER-7t

Post by RichP714 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:54 pm

BillD wrote:Rich, I'd appeal AND change your PayPal account to take money from a credit card. I changed mine after hearing the war stories here. Now, mine comes off of American Express. I've had good luck with them when an online store tried to rip me off for $400. Got my money and the guy lost his Amex charge privileges.
Thanks Bill, I'm going to do that now that I know (the hard way of course)

Reese
TFM-75

Post by Reese » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:13 pm

Luckily it was "only" a $100 lesson. I do hope you appeal successfully -- that really is blatant and should not be condoned by PayPal or any business.

I'll make sure I keep my PayPal as credit card! Luckily the one money transfer I had on PayPal was when I bought my Silver 9t's on audiogon -- not ePrey -- There was a minor glitch when I used a wrong (but unusable and deadend) PayPal member internet address to put money in for the seller -- he didn't get his money the next day because the transfer was sitting in a "ghost" account sort of -- he thought I was jerking him around maybe -- I got it cleared up with PayPal and him on the phone in a conference call -- my bad -- and it all turned out OK (especially that I now own Silver 9t's!)
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:23 pm

That's funny. I did a PayPal transaction to a non-existent account, and it just sat there. I think it's a ploy on PayPal's account to get free money (I mean, they are owned by eBay). You correct the transaction and the other money just sits there until you cancel the payment.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

tomstat
SILVER-7t

Post by tomstat » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:35 pm

Don't we have a shit list of sellers to avoid? Guy sounds like a prime candidate for it.
ImageImage

Return to “E-Bay Boondoggles”