PayPal Class Action Lawsuit or Inventive Scam?

Problems with E-bay? Let us know.

Moderator: Audioshopper

SteveFord
SILVER-7t

PayPal Class Action Lawsuit or Inventive Scam?

Post by SteveFord » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:49 pm

Has anybody else gotten this? I don't know if it's real or some bizarro identity theft deal.

Steele et al. v. PayPal, Inc. et al., Civil Action No. 1:05-CV-01720 (ILG)(VVP)
Notice from Federal Court. Please Read.
You may be eligible to receive a benefit from a class action settlement if you funded a PayPal transaction using a source other than your credit card between February 1, 2004 and the present.

A federal court has directed that this notice be sent to inform you of a proposed class action settlement. Records show that you may be eligible to receive a benefit under the proposed settlement.

The settlement will resolve a lawsuit against eBay Inc. and PayPal, Inc. (collectively, "Defendants") involving claims arising out of representations in the PayPal User Agreement regarding PayPal's policies and practices for responding to refund requests from those customers who pay for transactions through PayPal using funds from funding sources other than credit cards. Under the settlement, Defendants have agreed to establish a settlement fund of $3.5 million to pay claims to potential class members. The proposed Class is defined as:

all U.S. based PayPal account holders who funded a PayPal transaction after February 1, 2004, using a source other than a credit card: (i) who subsequently requested a reversal of the transaction through PayPal's prevailing Buyer Complaint Policy and/or Buyer Protection Policy (collectively, "Policies"); (ii) who did not receive a refund equal to 100% of their transaction payment in response to such request from PayPal or their bank; and (iii) who, through the timely submission of a Claim Form under oath, attest to a reasonable and good faith belief that they would have received a full reversal of such payment had they used a valid credit card in their possession at the time of the subject transaction to fund the payment and filed a timely chargeback request with their credit card issuing bank. Excluded from the Class are any judicial officer to whom this Litigation is assigned; PayPal, eBay and any of its affiliates; any current or former employees, officers, or directors of PayPal or eBay; any Persons currently residing outside of the United States; and, all Persons who timely and validly request exclusion from the Class pursuant to the Notice.
To see if you are a Class Member and to obtain full notice of the Settlement, the required procedures, the deadlines, your obligations, and your options, you must visit www.steelesettlement.com. This email is only a brief summary of the full notice that is posted on the website.
Upstairs:
VTL MB-250 Signature monoblocks, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, HHb BurnIt Plus, Well Tempered Labs Classic, Ortofon 2M Black, Jolida JD-9 Phono Preamp, Sherwood S3000-IV tuner, VPI-17, Jolida JD-100, AKG 701, Beyerdynamics 881, NHT SW1-P subwoofer and amp, Magnepan 1.6, APC H15
Downstairs:
VTL DeLuxe 300 Monoblocks, Harman Kardon F500x tuner, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, Jolida JD-100, Oppo 981, Otari MX5050 BII, SVS SB-12 subwoofer, Magnepan 3.6
In Storage:
Stax Sigma headphones, signed DTL unit, Magnepan MMGs, Carver TX-11, TX-11a's

Reese
TFM-75

Re: PayPal Class Action Lawsuit or Inventive Scam?

Post by Reese » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:43 pm

well, not yet I haven't. I don't qualify as part of the class, since I successfully got my full payent refunded by PayPal (although I did have to go ahead and pay the same amount again to the correct seller PayPal name/address. But I did get my money back, in full, paid back to my bank account).

I think this looks legitimate (I received a notice much like this from my car manufacturer as a result of some class action suit against Audi recently settled).

I hope Bill D. reads this and checks into his situation with that rip-off of $100 too much for a lesser model camera the seller sent him and PayPal didn't accept the situation as "substantially different from as advertised" etc. I bet he could qualify, since the wording is from "February 1, 2004 to the present" and used a bank account, not a credit card that time.
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge

snarffydoggy
SILVER-7t

Post by snarffydoggy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:15 pm

Reese I believe that was RichP that bought the camera.
snarffydoggy

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:42 pm

Yeah, it was RichP. I did have my bank funding PayPal, but I changed it after hearing of people not being able to get money back through PayPal's complaint system. I figured American Express was a better route.

I went to the site and it looks legit. Just don't give out too much personal information (no SS#, etc.) and you should be OK. If it's a fake, someone went to a lot of trouble.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Reese
TFM-75

Post by Reese » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:40 pm

A case of mistaken identity! I'll send Rich P a PM just in case he hasn't read Steve's post.

Thanks for the correction, guys!

Reese
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:50 pm

Anyway, Steve — do you fit the criteria?
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

tomstat
SILVER-7t

Post by tomstat » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:23 pm

Can't the validity of this case be verified through the courts? Such proceedings are public and as such, documents are public.

A cursory google shows a lot of discussion irt this on forums.
ImageImage

SteveFord
SILVER-7t

Post by SteveFord » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:32 pm

I'm going to see if I can't find out if this is legitimate or not before I get too carried away with it.
I had my PayPal account hijacked years back and had to close my bank account, my PayPal account, my eBay account...

Yes, I qualify for sure. I got hosed for $700 on a Gibson guitar - it was not as represented, PayPal settled the dispute in my favor, PayPal decided that it was a fake, they asked for the guitar and gave me $200 and then said we'll give you the rest (like, never) when the seller pays PayPal the seven hundred dollars you're out, too bad, have a nice day.
Sorry, you can not have the guitar back, either, you're hosed, goodbye.
Upstairs:
VTL MB-250 Signature monoblocks, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, HHb BurnIt Plus, Well Tempered Labs Classic, Ortofon 2M Black, Jolida JD-9 Phono Preamp, Sherwood S3000-IV tuner, VPI-17, Jolida JD-100, AKG 701, Beyerdynamics 881, NHT SW1-P subwoofer and amp, Magnepan 1.6, APC H15
Downstairs:
VTL DeLuxe 300 Monoblocks, Harman Kardon F500x tuner, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, Jolida JD-100, Oppo 981, Otari MX5050 BII, SVS SB-12 subwoofer, Magnepan 3.6
In Storage:
Stax Sigma headphones, signed DTL unit, Magnepan MMGs, Carver TX-11, TX-11a's

Return to “E-Bay Boondoggles”