FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:59 pm

I hate to ask....AGAIN but...Woofer surrounds??

<<

Planerguy

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:15 pm

I hate to ask....AGAIN but...Woofer surrounds??

It's over 2 years since I asked, so thought I'd throw it out there once again -
Has ANY progress been made on obtaining suitable surrounds for the carver Silver/Platinum woofers? Yes, I know about the Dynavox option, if that is still even availble, but surrounds would be much much cheaper and are easy enough to do, IF we could find or make the darn things ourselves.
As I seem to recall toymaker had been close to something on them, but then my memory isn't that great anymore....
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: I hate to ask....AGAIN but...Woofer surrounds??

Last I heard James was going to have them made! He was waiting for samples I think!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

cring08

TFM-35

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:24 pm

I sent a PM to Toy Maker as well.

I have a couple of international vendors we use for outsourcing.

I'd give it a shot if I could get some spec's.

I need 4 surrounds myself.
Chris

Living Room/main System:
Sunfire TGP IV
Sunfire 300x2
Carver Amazing Silvers
Apple tv
Carver SD 390t
Technics SL 1950 Turntable

Basement/system 2:
Carver MXR-130
Teac reel to reel
Musical Fidelity X-10D tube buffer
BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer
Nikko eq2
Cerwin Vega HED's
Klipsch SW15
Infinity RS10's
Pioneer 100 disk changer

Garage system:
Pioneer VSX something?
Polk Audio 2500
<<

Planerguy

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:05 am

Specs. are simple enough. measure the inner surround diameter - the cone outer edge - the surround outer diameter, then specify the foam be light weight compared to conventional surrounds and remember the inner edge needs to be angled, not flat.
IIRC, per the famous Doug Purl, the surrounds were pressed at very high pressure. He indicated they should be about 1/2 as thick as, let's say surrounds for Advents, etc.

Didn't Tonegan make some of the original woofers? Who else made them? Maybe we could get them to do a run for us, and sell the surplus on the 'bay? I personally know of at least 100 surrounds needed, and that's just me. As a group, I'd bet we could come up with orders for many times that. Why settle for questionable replacements at excessive prices?

If you've got connections, Go for it!
<<

DKAudio

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:04 am

Hey everyone, new here. I am getting some Amazing Platinums early next week for under $200. However, both ribbons need repair (over a grand including shipping) and all 8 woofers need surrounds. I desperately need to save money by doing the woofers myself. Is there any news on this? I saw the other thread where Toy Maker was asking about interest and there hasn't been a post there for almost a year.

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum