FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:58 pm

M1.0t question

<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:05 pm

M1.0t question

So long story short my M1.0t has had issues from day 1 for me. It had some hissing that at first was very hard to hear, but over time got louder and eventually played with the source. Even if you disconnected the IC's it would still play this sound.

I sent it in for service and some upgrades. They were done and I got the unit back. After 3 weeks hiss came back.

I put the amp aside as shipping it to the shop again was just not in my budget.

Fast forward 8 months and I pulled it back out to let a buddy borrow. My hope was the amp was good and I simply had a ground loop or something funky in my setup.

He plugged it into his Martin Logal Sequel speakers, ran it for 4 songs. He hit max headroom on the amp once but not steady all the time. Amp soon just stopped playing any type of music. He felt it and said it was a bit warm to the touch on one side and in the middle.

He went out, bought a new fuse, installed it and bam back to music.

He used it with Polk SDA 2B's afterwards with no issues, but had the kids home so wasnt able to get it as loud.

Now my question is this: Could a fuse going bad cause the issues I was originally experiencing? My buddy has all week off so he's planning on playing with it more and I am going to let him use it for a couple weeks just to see if he can get it to act up.

So anyway, thoughts on if a fuse going bad would cause the hissing I was hearing even with no interconnects connected, just straight speaker wire to speaker?

Here is what it sounded like:

"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:57 pm

Re: M1.0t question

If one side was hot, there is issue. If both the same, normal.considering a load is equal on both channels.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:19 pm

Re: M1.0t question

angelod307 wrote:If one side was hot, there is issue. If both the same, normal.considering a load is equal on both channels.

According to my buddy the right side was hotter than the left on him. I never checked the temp's when it acted up on me (the video is a couple months old)
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum