It is currently Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:46 am

TFM-42 Intermitten Issue

<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:42 pm

TFM-42 Intermitten Issue

Hi Guys,
Had this re-furbed TFM-42 amp for several years and its always worked great BUT for the last year or two the LHS channel cuts out at least once per session. A mild "whack" on the side of the amp restores the signal but this is of course a huge annoyance. I've replaced the RCA interconnects several times so I know that's not the problem. Took the top off the amp a couple of times and poked around hoping to locate the source of this issue and make it manifest, but no luck. Is there a history of this issue with this amp and/or a process to use to try and determine the cause of this problem (cold solder joint, bad relay, bad RCA plug, or whatever)? Help! Thanks, Ed

add: been a while since I've posted here (also tried TheCarversite, but when I submitted my post I got a "serious" error message and lost my post and login session...), but as stated before, I'm more of a MUSIC guy than a music SYSTEM guy, so when my system(s) are working well, I'm happy just to enjoy the music...and that's been the case for the last several years!
FR: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
LR: AudioEngine wireless link from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 6.5" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-634x 3-4 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: 300 disk changer to Entech 202.5 DAC to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

Miko1971

TFM-6cb

Post Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:47 am

Re: TFM-42 Intermitten Issue

Have you checked the rca jacks? Those can break and cause that problem. I would try at low volume wiggling the input output jacks and see if it cuts out.
(6) Sunfire 300 x 2 - Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Control Center (being rebuilt) - (1) Sunfire Subrosa - (2) SoundLab A1's - (2) Sunfire CRS-3C - Tascam DA-3000 ADDA DSD (Busman Audio modified) - Equi=Tech 2QR - AudioQuest Mammoth Speaker Cables -PC with AudioQuest Firefly DAC - (2) Bybee Quantum Signal Enhancers - Schiit Audio Sys Passive Preamp - Oppo 103D (Vanity HD SPDIF / Dr. Lee Linear Power Supply) - Kimber D60 SPDIF Kable - Wireworld RCA Cables - Technics SH-9020
Stereo Meter System - BSG Technologies qøl Signal Completion Stage -
<<

Robert R

TFM-55

Post Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:52 am

Re: TFM-42 Intermitten Issue

Besides the input connections, this model (series of models, actually) is notorious for soldering problems at the plug-in connecting pins along the edge of the amp boards.

Robert R
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum