FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:50 am

Carver TFM-35 HELP!

<<

GusGus748s

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:59 am

Carver TFM-35 HELP!

I'm new to the site. I was refer to this website by some AVS Forum members. I acquired the Carver amp from my father who go it from my great uncle who passed away. The amp has been working great until today. I noticed that my right front speaker's tweeter sounded like it was muzzled. At first, I thought the tweeter was blown. So, I went ahead and switched tweeters with the front left speaker, but I got the same result. I then noticed that the volume level on the carver was 100%. So, I moved it, and I heard some static coming from the front right tweeter. Thereafter, it was sounding normal.

I continued to listen to music, and the same issued happened. I also noticed that the right front speaker sound was lower than the front left. So, I removed the Carver, and only use my AVR, and the front right speaker sound was fine. The tweeter sound was fine as well. So, this leads me to believe that the right channel of the Carver might be going out or there is another issue with it.

I know my great uncle got this Carver amp in the early 80's, and since then it has been working fine. However, it appears that it might need to be rebuilt. This is the reason why I am here. I need the help from the Carver guru's here to see if it is possible for me to rebuilt this amp. I found a few places that can do the work, but at the moment I don't have the $300+ to do it since I am getting married next month. I really would like to keep this amp. in the family due to sentimental value, and because it is a good amp.

Thanks for any help that can be provided. I will also do some reading on this site, and see if I can find any leads to work on my amp's issue.
<<

ddhoferjr

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:17 am

Re: Carver TFM-35 HELP!

Hello,
Welcome to the forum. You can give Tom a call at Vintage Hi-Fi 412-369-8823. He does very good work.
<<

GusGus748s

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:46 pm

Re: Carver TFM-35 HELP!

ddhoferjr wrote:Hello,
Welcome to the forum. You can give Tom a call at Vintage Hi-Fi 412-369-8823. He does very good work.

Thanks I sent them an email.

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum