FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:08 am

Series/Parallel wiring of Woofers

<<

Chiller Tech

Post Thu May 08, 2014 10:13 am

Series/Parallel wiring of Woofers

Hi, Newbie here with just a basic understanding of electronics.
Referring to the Original Carver Amazing LoudSpeakers,
Two woofers in Series, then the Two groups in Parallel?
Mine appear to be wired all four in parallel, all positive together and all negative together. I would think that two in series would be +-+-, then + to + and negative to negative. Just want to confirm so I can wire correctly. A link to a diagram would also be help full. I'm wanting to restore them to as new condition.
Thanks to anyone who can help.
<<

WhackJob

M-400t CUBE

Post Thu May 08, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: Series/Parallel wiring of Woofers

All 4 in parallel. They are 16 ohm drivers. 4 in parallel yields the 4 ohm final spec.
Enjoy!
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu May 08, 2014 10:23 pm

The EPI 1000's started out wiring the woofers as two sets of // woofers in series. These used 4 ohm drivers and you thus ended up at 4 ohms for all four (2 ohm + 2 ohm). The later 1000's switched over to all four woofers in // mode for 1 ohms for all four...so a 2 ohm resistor was added in series to boost the d.c. resistance to 3 ohms. I added a toggle switch to the 1000's I built that allows them to toggle between these two modes of operation. I prefer the earlier way of wiring them as two sets of // woofers in series. I think I heard that this change happened after Burhoe left his company (EPI), but could be "mis-remembering" this...

Pretty much a matter of personal preference which way would sound best to you:................+ + or + + + +
.............................................................................................................. - -.....- - - -
.............................................................................................................. + +
.............................................................................................................. - -
(with all four of the "inside" terminals in the 1st way tied together).
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

Martin1970

TFM-25

Post Sat May 10, 2014 7:25 am

The original Amazings (flat honeycombs) are wired with two parallel sets in series yielding a 4 ohm load as each driver is 4 ohms. The real world DC resistance on this setup is around 2.5 - 3 ohms.

Also, be careful about how you look at them because two are upside down and two are right side up and that can confuse things.

The later cone drivers are 16 ohms each and are all wired in parallel.
Carver: ALS plat upgrades, TX-11a, C-9, C-1
Sunfire: Cinema Grand Sig 400 Seven x2
Rane: RPM88 26Z x3
<<

WhackJob

M-400t CUBE

Post Sat May 10, 2014 10:48 am

Chiller Tech noted that his are already wired parallel, so I assumed his are the later version.

Separating one driver and measuring DCR would determine which way to go.
<<

Chiller Tech

Post Sun May 11, 2014 1:16 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Mine are the honeycomb woofers. Turns out I was looking at the wiring wrong and the woofers are wired correctly.
<<

Martin1970

TFM-25

Post Sun May 11, 2014 4:47 pm

Chiller Tech wrote:Thanks for the clarification. Mine are the honeycomb woofers. Turns out I was looking at the wiring wrong and the woofers are wired correctly.

Those upside-down woofers tricked me, too.
Carver: ALS plat upgrades, TX-11a, C-9, C-1
Sunfire: Cinema Grand Sig 400 Seven x2
Rane: RPM88 26Z x3

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum