New Ribbon Repair Option??

If you have Carver repair questions, or can help other users with repairs, this is the place for it
jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

New Ribbon Repair Option??

Post by jjptkd » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:12 pm

A guy claims to be able to fix any Carver ribbon, new listing on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARVER-AMAZING- ... SwoydWn9s6

For 5 years I have been trying to figure out how to repair these AMAZING CARVER RIBBON speakers.

Where to find the material?

Where to find the diaphragm?

Where to find the aluminum conductor material?

What glue to use to glue the magnets back in place?

How to align the magnets?

How to take the ribbon driver apart?

How to clean off all the old materials?

How to tension the diaphragm?

How to align the trace?

What the best geometry for the conductor trace?

How to get them to go back together without breaking them?

It has literally take me 5 years and hundreds and hundreds of hours to perfect my process and I am finally ready to offer this service to the general public.
After hundreds of toys, and years of struggling to find the solutions, I am finally happy to say I am pleased with my results.

Please see the pictures.

I now can fix all the standard Carver Amazing Loudspeaker Ribbons.

Carver Original Amazing - 30 Inch Ribbon

Carver Amazing Silver, Carver Amazing ALS III and Carver Amazing ALS III Plus - 48 Inch Ribbon

Carver Amazing Platinum - 60 Inch Ribbon

This auction is for the 60 Inch Ribbons.

Please see my other associated auctions for the 30 Inch Ribbon and the 48 Inch Ribbon Repair Service.

It is always best if you contact me prior to shipping so I can judge your level of competence and help you help me get your speakers fixed as simply as possible.

So feel free to call or text either before or after you purchase for the best possible advice.

Please do not bother me asking me free advice as to how you can fix your ribbon for free.

If I offered this free advice I would be answering the phone all day and I would not have time for my paying customers.

However, if you are willing to purchase a repair service from me, this service comes with my time and free advice.

I also have UPGRADE KITS for all the CARVER AMAZING LOUDSPEAKERS.

I can help you BI-Wire them or better yet BI-AMP them without or with the CORRECT ACTIVE CROSSOVER ( available separately - just ask ).

I also have a few RAW CARVER RIBBONS for those of you that might have lost yours in shipping, so please contact me if this is your problem,

Finally I have several sets of CARVER ORIGINAL AMAZING, CARVER SILVER, CARVER ALS III, and CARVER ALS III PlUS Speakers for sale.

Some I have listed on E-bay.

If you do not see what you want, just ask, I do not have all my inventory on E-bay all the time.

I probably can make a special auction for you.

Please see my contact information below.

I am:

MichaelAlanMarks and I use AAAA OHOHOH LLLL

you can also reach me on my iPhone (931) 561-1668 Voice and Text

For this 30 Inch Ribbon speaker return shipping is a fixed rate of $35 in the continental USA.

Hawaii, Alaska and Overseas shipping is of course extra.

Yes, I do also ship overseas.

I will help the buyer make all shipping arrangements.

Please also see my other auctions.

I have a lot of CARVER RIBBON SPEAKERS for sale at this time.

Glad to help you if I can.
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Re: New Ribbon Repair Option??

Post by kingman » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:46 pm

I was just fixing to post that!!! BTW, it is price PER ribbon. This guy has been selling Carver ribbon speakers for a while now and offering upgrade service. I have no knowledge of him other than his ebay ID. :-k
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Miko1971
TFM-6cb

Post by Miko1971 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:44 am

well that sure would be nice as i bought my amazing's with the intent of sending them off to be repaired and it looks like that ain't happing here anymore...

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:54 am

I know folks that have talked to him. I believe the story that I recall is that he's a retired gentleman that just like audio and the exotic speakers in particular. It's said he's a nice guy to visit with.

Since he's using different materials to rework these, the question is how does it perform? There are sound questions to the rework and power handling question. You'd certainly want to entertain doing a pair since that'd be about required to match sonics.

Anybody wondering....I think I'd suggest just calling him up and talking about it. Ask the questions, air the concerns before hand. Figure out the situation going in.

Mark
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

Nahash5150

Post by Nahash5150 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:36 am

All good questions. And I think James could give him a run for his money.

But you know, being a nice guy and all doesn't imply he knows what he's doing...at least not to me.

I've personally never worked on those types of ribbon before, but I have to say - if I did own Carver ribbon speakers, I wouldn't be sending them to him. Something isn't adding up...like the lack of testimonies, and I wouldn't want to be one of the disappointed ones. :-({|=

Then there's the material - is that plastic wrap??!?!?!???

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:11 pm

I'd suggest not having this guy work on any ribbons....
From the photos this is a amitur work at best.

No clue what he's replacing the original material with but it WILL NOT sound right, that I can guarantee.

As soon as we are able to find a new supplier, we will be back to repairs. Just have to be patient.

Can you say... BUZZZZZZZZZ
$_3.JPG
$_3.JPG (60.45 KiB) Viewed 5049 times

BobSmi57
M-400t CUBE

Post by BobSmi57 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:24 pm

Looks like the film is not stretched tight and evenly.

DaveS
The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post by DaveS » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:43 pm

Son, I'm glad you posted something , this guy is glueing traces to who knows what, certainly NOT Kapton, most likely a dissappointment to anyone that has it done, be careful guys.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry

Nahash5150

Post by Nahash5150 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:00 pm

Dave, he'll give you free advice if you purchase his services.

DaveS
The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post by DaveS » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:51 am

Yah, I saw that, good for him!
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry

eddielee

Post by eddielee » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:11 pm

I have been waiting patiently for my set of new 48 inches driver for over a year now but I still prefer mine done by James. Whenever they are ready.Thank you.

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:57 pm

For those that have had some thoughts about jumping into the ribbons for repairs, here is a thread with some thought starters as to what you're facing....

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars- ... gnets.html
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

hewlew1
"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post by hewlew1 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:11 pm

Various thought processes without any conclusions. These ribbons continue to remain a challenge that is yet to be solved. I M O. I doubt James will ever fix another ribbon. I don't think it is a priority for him anymore.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!

BobSmi57
M-400t CUBE

Post by BobSmi57 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:56 pm

I completely agree with you, Harry. I hope we are wrong about this because there are a lot of Carver ribbons out there that are getting older and will be needing repairs done, otherwise what? Scrap? James has stated he is no longer going to be involved in the new ALS speakers also, and sent all materials back to Washington. I wonder who will be building Bob's new speakers?

Miko1971
TFM-6cb

Post by Miko1971 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:36 pm

I'm thinking that time has rendered the original AL's to the same fate as buggy whip makers and switchboard operators. If i could scrap up the 18K I'd gladly have Mr.C's new speakers standing at attention in my above ground subterranean lair. I think I'm writing mine off and selling them on the Bay with a $0.01 starting price and move along....

Return to “CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum”