New Ribbon Repair Option??

If you have Carver repair questions, or can help other users with repairs, this is the place for it
User avatar
UncleMeat
TFM-25
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: New Ribbon Repair Option??

Post by UncleMeat » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:38 pm

I've offered to start working on a way to self-manufacture Kapton ribbons over on C! but nobody has taken me up on the offer to send me a non-working ribbon to work on for free (or at minimum a piece of ribbon material so I can measure the trace widths to replicate them).

indyaudio
M-400t CUBE
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:52 pm
Location: Carmel, Indiana

Re: New Ribbon Repair Option??

Post by indyaudio » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:16 pm

Update from MagicMarksey on Ebay........Kapton and new photos.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222000692727?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

NOTE: LATEST UPDATE SEPTEMBER 2016
NEW GOLD KAPTON DIAPHRAGM MATERIAL NOW IN USE !
NEW ALUMINUM TRACE MATERIAL NOW IN USE !

What do the experts here say now? Any change in your opinion? Thanks!
Main Room System(s):
Speakers - Polk SRS 1.2TL; Carver ALiii; KEF 101, 104/2; Pioneer HPM150; JBL S7R Sovereign, L112, 4312, 43111
McIntosh - C28, C26, C24 preamps; MC30 monoblocks, MC2205, MC2120 amps
Carver - M4.0t amp; CT17 preamp; C9 Holography; Digital Time Lens; SDA360 CD
Sunfire 300~2 (2) & Dynaco ST-70 tube (2) amps
Jolida tube & Linn Karik CD; Rega P2 & Marantz 6300 Turntables
Arcam rDAC

User avatar
jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:50 pm
Location: Snohomish, WA

Re: New Ribbon Repair Option??

Post by jjptkd » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:18 am

I just read through his last 5 pages of feedback and not one mention of his tweeter repair service.. :-s
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

User avatar
sea
TFM-35
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:47 pm
Location: NC Piedmont

Re: New Ribbon Repair Option??

Post by sea » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:09 pm

I talked to this guy a little over a year ago and at that time he had made zero repairs other than for his own use. He was really a little stand off'ish about the all thing. It is one of the reasons that I started down the road I took looking for a Kapton/aluminum option. Looks like he has shifted away from the Mylar he was using.

indyaudio
M-400t CUBE
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:52 pm
Location: Carmel, Indiana

Re: New Ribbon Repair Option??

Post by indyaudio » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:03 pm

jjptkd wrote:I just read through his last 5 pages of feedback and not one mention of his tweeter repair service.. :-s

Hmmmm....thanks for looking
Main Room System(s):
Speakers - Polk SRS 1.2TL; Carver ALiii; KEF 101, 104/2; Pioneer HPM150; JBL S7R Sovereign, L112, 4312, 43111
McIntosh - C28, C26, C24 preamps; MC30 monoblocks, MC2205, MC2120 amps
Carver - M4.0t amp; CT17 preamp; C9 Holography; Digital Time Lens; SDA360 CD
Sunfire 300~2 (2) & Dynaco ST-70 tube (2) amps
Jolida tube & Linn Karik CD; Rega P2 & Marantz 6300 Turntables
Arcam rDAC

User avatar
frenchguy
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 2807
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: wisconsin

Re: New Ribbon Repair Option??

Post by frenchguy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:50 pm

Personally, if I was looking to get a ribbon repaired, I would go with Ed hands down!! =D> he has done his homework & I have personally seen and heard his repaired ribbons & could not tell the difference between his & the original ribbons! Not to mention he has Bobs blessing on the repaired ribbons, It is enough for me to recommend Ed without question! 8)
Carver Silver 7t mono blocks, Carver M-4.0t & 2 tfm 42,s. ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t,TX11 tuner, jolida jd 100A. JBL L96 & JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Dared MP-5BT Integrated vacuum tube amp, 2 sets of Carver Amazing Silver speakers, oak & black. Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Tesla audio Carverfest satellite ribbon speakers & stands & Douglas connection cables

indyaudio
M-400t CUBE
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:52 pm
Location: Carmel, Indiana

Re: New Ribbon Repair Option??

Post by indyaudio » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:05 pm

sea wrote:I talked to this guy a little over a year ago and at that time he had made zero repairs other than for his own use. He was really a little stand off'ish about the all thing. It is one of the reasons that I started down the road I took looking for a Kapton/aluminum option. Looks like he has shifted away from the Mylar he was using.
Any luck since then on your quest?
Main Room System(s):
Speakers - Polk SRS 1.2TL; Carver ALiii; KEF 101, 104/2; Pioneer HPM150; JBL S7R Sovereign, L112, 4312, 43111
McIntosh - C28, C26, C24 preamps; MC30 monoblocks, MC2205, MC2120 amps
Carver - M4.0t amp; CT17 preamp; C9 Holography; Digital Time Lens; SDA360 CD
Sunfire 300~2 (2) & Dynaco ST-70 tube (2) amps
Jolida tube & Linn Karik CD; Rega P2 & Marantz 6300 Turntables
Arcam rDAC

User avatar
kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs
Posts: 6433
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm
Location: Upstate South Carolina

Re: New Ribbon Repair Option??

Post by kingman » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:38 pm

indyaudio wrote:
sea wrote:I talked to this guy a little over a year ago and at that time he had made zero repairs other than for his own use. He was really a little stand off'ish about the all thing. It is one of the reasons that I started down the road I took looking for a Kapton/aluminum option. Looks like he has shifted away from the Mylar he was using.
Any luck since then on your quest?
See post above yours from frenchguy. Ed has been repairing 48 and 60 inch ribbons for awhile now.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

indyaudio
M-400t CUBE
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:52 pm
Location: Carmel, Indiana

Re: New Ribbon Repair Option??

Post by indyaudio » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:21 pm

kingman wrote:
indyaudio wrote:
sea wrote:I talked to this guy a little over a year ago and at that time he had made zero repairs other than for his own use. He was really a little stand off'ish about the all thing. It is one of the reasons that I started down the road I took looking for a Kapton/aluminum option. Looks like he has shifted away from the Mylar he was using.
Any luck since then on your quest?
See post above yours from frenchguy. Ed has been repairing 48 and 60 inch ribbons for awhile now.
AWESOME! I didn't see that - is SEA, Ed? thanks again!
Main Room System(s):
Speakers - Polk SRS 1.2TL; Carver ALiii; KEF 101, 104/2; Pioneer HPM150; JBL S7R Sovereign, L112, 4312, 43111
McIntosh - C28, C26, C24 preamps; MC30 monoblocks, MC2205, MC2120 amps
Carver - M4.0t amp; CT17 preamp; C9 Holography; Digital Time Lens; SDA360 CD
Sunfire 300~2 (2) & Dynaco ST-70 tube (2) amps
Jolida tube & Linn Karik CD; Rega P2 & Marantz 6300 Turntables
Arcam rDAC

indyaudio
M-400t CUBE
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:52 pm
Location: Carmel, Indiana

Re: New Ribbon Repair Option??

Post by indyaudio » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:05 pm

frenchguy wrote:Personally, if I was looking to get a ribbon repaired, I would go with Ed hands down!! =D> he has done his homework & I have personally seen and heard his repaired ribbons & could not tell the difference between his & the original ribbons! Not to mention he has Bobs blessing on the repaired ribbons, It is enough for me to recommend Ed without question! 8)
Thanks very much for the reply and the testimonial. I'm sorry to ask, but is SEA, Ed? thanks again! I will contact him and line up my repair right away!
Main Room System(s):
Speakers - Polk SRS 1.2TL; Carver ALiii; KEF 101, 104/2; Pioneer HPM150; JBL S7R Sovereign, L112, 4312, 43111
McIntosh - C28, C26, C24 preamps; MC30 monoblocks, MC2205, MC2120 amps
Carver - M4.0t amp; CT17 preamp; C9 Holography; Digital Time Lens; SDA360 CD
Sunfire 300~2 (2) & Dynaco ST-70 tube (2) amps
Jolida tube & Linn Karik CD; Rega P2 & Marantz 6300 Turntables
Arcam rDAC

User avatar
frenchguy
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 2807
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 11:53 pm
Location: wisconsin

Re: New Ribbon Repair Option??

Post by frenchguy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:57 pm

yes, SEA IS ED! or is it ED IS SEA? yes to both!
Carver Silver 7t mono blocks, Carver M-4.0t & 2 tfm 42,s. ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t,TX11 tuner, jolida jd 100A. JBL L96 & JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Dared MP-5BT Integrated vacuum tube amp, 2 sets of Carver Amazing Silver speakers, oak & black. Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Tesla audio Carverfest satellite ribbon speakers & stands & Douglas connection cables

indyaudio
M-400t CUBE
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:52 pm
Location: Carmel, Indiana

Re: New Ribbon Repair Option??

Post by indyaudio » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:57 pm

frenchguy wrote:yes, SEA IS ED! or is it ED IS SEA? yes to both!
Excellent!
Main Room System(s):
Speakers - Polk SRS 1.2TL; Carver ALiii; KEF 101, 104/2; Pioneer HPM150; JBL S7R Sovereign, L112, 4312, 43111
McIntosh - C28, C26, C24 preamps; MC30 monoblocks, MC2205, MC2120 amps
Carver - M4.0t amp; CT17 preamp; C9 Holography; Digital Time Lens; SDA360 CD
Sunfire 300~2 (2) & Dynaco ST-70 tube (2) amps
Jolida tube & Linn Karik CD; Rega P2 & Marantz 6300 Turntables
Arcam rDAC

User avatar
sea
TFM-35
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:47 pm
Location: NC Piedmont

Re: New Ribbon Repair Option??

Post by sea » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:08 am

indyaudio wrote:
frenchguy wrote:yes, SEA IS ED! or is it ED IS SEA? yes to both!
Excellent!
PM sent

indyaudio
M-400t CUBE
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:52 pm
Location: Carmel, Indiana

Re: New Ribbon Repair Option??

Post by indyaudio » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:11 pm

Thanks very much guys! I connected with Ed and a newly repaired ribbon is on it's way to me. Looking forward to hearing my 2nd pair of AL iii again powered by my Carver rack.
Attachments
IMG_5215.JPG
IMG_5216.JPG
Main Room System(s):
Speakers - Polk SRS 1.2TL; Carver ALiii; KEF 101, 104/2; Pioneer HPM150; JBL S7R Sovereign, L112, 4312, 43111
McIntosh - C28, C26, C24 preamps; MC30 monoblocks, MC2205, MC2120 amps
Carver - M4.0t amp; CT17 preamp; C9 Holography; Digital Time Lens; SDA360 CD
Sunfire 300~2 (2) & Dynaco ST-70 tube (2) amps
Jolida tube & Linn Karik CD; Rega P2 & Marantz 6300 Turntables
Arcam rDAC

User avatar
Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 2708
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:46 am

Re: New Ribbon Repair Option??

Post by Don » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:38 pm

Ed is a class act and an asset to our forum. Glad you two got together.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine


"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett


"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

Post Reply

Return to “CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum”