Oh, no...not another SSS lamp circuit issue...

If you have Carver repair questions, or can help other users with repairs, this is the place for it
Rick Price

Oh, no...not another SSS lamp circuit issue...

Post by Rick Price » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:45 pm

Yup.

Something went South on the lamp board as I was reassembling the amp, a (small, not that size matters with THAT) wisp of smoke and the lamp was out and there's no voltage to the lamp board.

Usually, I don't make "dumb mistakes" (my mistakes are usually "smarter"?) but I have progressive bifocals and spend most of my time (when doing this stuff) taking them off and then putting them back on, depending on what I'm doing and where/how I'm doing it. Obviously, something went pretty sideways.

If anybody has any advice on what to look for and how to test for it, I'd really appreciate it.
Musician/Teacher

Rick Price

Re: Oh, no...not another SSS lamp circuit issue...

Post by Rick Price » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:46 pm

I don't have a Service Manual or Schematic, btw. That would be helpful if someone does...thx...
Musician/Teacher

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:15 pm

Some specifics might be helpful.....you know make/model/year etc

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Rick Price

Post by Rick Price » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:48 pm

Why sure!

Sunfire (S) Stereo (S) Signature (S).

I thought that was the universally recognized short-form identifier, lol.

I don't post SN's, but it looks like a later model to me, but it's NOT a "II" series.
The Power Supply is toroidal if that helps.

The main thing I'd like to know is what the Voltage/Current parameters are SUPPOSED to be on the Lamp Leg of the meter circuit.

I've got it fixed (a trace behaved as a fuse, which was surprising, but not hard to find) but I'd like to know how it's supposed to measure.

Thanks in advance to everyone for their help
Musician/Teacher

Return to “CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum”