Sunfire--> Display Lights Out

If you have Carver repair questions, or can help other users with repairs, this is the place for it
Jesuscookies
M-400t CUBE

Sunfire--> Display Lights Out

Post by Jesuscookies » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:51 pm

So I found someone selling a Signature amp and processor. However, he says that the lights on the fronts of both pieces of equipment are out. A few were very dim and then just died.

Is this an easy fix? Does anyone know?

He must have left his equipment on all the time? Is this bad?

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by OBI56 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:57 pm

Errrr... lights or LEDs??? Huge difference I think .......
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

Jesuscookies
M-400t CUBE

Post by Jesuscookies » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:00 pm

OBI56 wrote:Errrr... lights or LEDs??? Huge difference I think .......
Meter lights, and I believe some of the button selector lights. I think that would be LED as well?

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:50 pm

The light on the amp is very dim to begin with. It is only in the "Joule Meter". Most of them have burned out. I don't know if there are multiple bulbs in there, but mine is so dim, I can barely see the meter needle. If there are multiple bulbs, I've lost some of mine. Anyway - it doesn't affect the amp. Now, the Pre/Pro is different - but you already have one of those, right?
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Jesuscookies
M-400t CUBE

Post by Jesuscookies » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:53 pm

BillD wrote:The light on the amp is very dim to begin with. It is only in the "Joule Meter". Most of them have burned out. I don't know if there are multiple bulbs in there, but mine is so dim, I can barely see the meter needle. If there are multiple bulbs, I've lost some of mine. Anyway - it doesn't affect the amp. Now, the Pre/Pro is different - but you already have one of those, right?
Yes I have the IV, but the guy is selling it as a set with interconnects power conditioner and upgraded plugs. I figure I can get those and resell the other processor that I do not use.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:01 am

I've never seen one with anything but the Joule meter light out, and practically ALL of them burn out pretty quick. There's a button on the bottom of the unit that can be used to set the brightness; it might only be turned down all the way...
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:05 am

Call Rolland.. he has an add-on LED that can replace the bulb in the Carver amps.. I would expect it would be the same for the Sunfire amps...

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Re: Sunfire--> Display Lights Out

Post by TNRabbit » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:14 am

Jesuscookies wrote:So I found someone selling a Signature amp and processor. However, he says that the lights on the fronts of both pieces of equipment are out. A few were very dim and then just died.

Question: is the processor the Tube preamp??!? That's the only Signature processor I'm aware of. If so, it has the same bulb the power amp has & is an easy fix. The tube preamp is incredible! Finest one I've ever hear
d.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

Jesuscookies
M-400t CUBE

Post by Jesuscookies » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:41 am

TNRabbit wrote:
Jesuscookies wrote:So I found someone selling a Signature amp and processor. However, he says that the lights on the fronts of both pieces of equipment are out. A few were very dim and then just died.

Question: is the processor the Tube preamp??!? That's the only Signature processor I'm aware of. If so, it has the same bulb the power amp has & is an easy fix. The tube preamp is incredible! Finest one I've ever hear
d.
Sorry Rabbit, I should have been more clear in my explanation. It is the TGP III. The Led Lights that run across the bottom are burned out. I am not worried about the bulb in the amp. I am worried about the led's on the preamp. My guess is they are part of a board?

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by OBI56 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:47 am

Jesuscookies wrote:
TNRabbit wrote:

d.
Sorry Rabbit, I should have been more clear in my explanation. It is the TGP III. The Led Lights that run across the bottom are burned out. I am not worried about the bulb in the amp. I am worried about the led's on the preamp. My guess is they are part of a board?
AH!!! That was what I was getting at when I asked if it was the light or the LEDs. A problem with LEDs going dim then going out usually means that there is a problem on one of the boards. The light only affects the meter and is more of an annoyance than anything else and it canbe easily replaced. An LED actually going bad is an extremely rare occurence, otherwise it points to a bigger problem somewhere else.

I'd call Sunfire Service or Rolland (if he also services these things) to get a rough estimate before doing anything else.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:38 pm

That's one nice thing about Sunfire - it's still open to repair your shit - and Rita works there.

I just had a thought. If you send something to Sunfire, can you request that Rita works on it?

maddmaxxx
(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post by maddmaxxx » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:34 pm

-if i remember right, rita, mylinda and BC all signed sir daves's 7t's

-pretty sharp look'in[to me]

-kinda wished he'd sign his ribbon 'work'
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro

tfm75
SILVER-7t

Post by tfm75 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:32 pm

Call Sunfire and see if you can talk to Rita. I did last year and she sent me a few of them for free. There is one light in my TGP II that looks like it's out but when you go to look closer someone just installed it a little off.

So I never did install it. I did install the upgrade chip that Sunfire sent to me for my TGP II. Newer TGP III to 5 just need a CD to upgrade. O:)

I don't know if Sunfire will be as giving now that there sold, but worth a try \:D/

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:41 pm

When I got my TGP-III, I checked the firmware rev and it was out of date, so I downloaded the firmware to my wife's laptop (I only have a tower) and hooked it up to the TGP via a serial cable and ran the upgrade, and voila I had rev. 3.2

Jesuscookies
M-400t CUBE

Post by Jesuscookies » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:02 pm

I think I am going to keep looking. I really do not want to deal with someone else's issues. ](*,)

Return to “CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum”