FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:03 am

Audio Repair in the Southwest

<<

drewideth

Post Wed May 21, 2008 8:33 pm

Audio Repair in the Southwest

Greetings all. I have opened a small pro and home audio repair shop in the Desert Southwest. I am repairing tube and solid state amplifiers, tube preamplifiers, and allmost anything in the pro-audio realm. I also repair Magnepan planar transducers, but not Carver ribbons, I'll leave that to Mr. Dave. All are welcome to contact me.

Andrew Telford @ Roy's Guitar's
(928)782-2950 shop
(928)257-7647 mobile
atelford@kyma.com
197 Main St. Suite A
Yuma, AZ 85364
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Thu May 22, 2008 12:25 am

Re: Audio Repair in the Southwest

-mr drew; do you have experience w/carver amps, pres, ALS x-overs etc ?

-whats your pricings or examples please

-and thankyou for posting guy
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

Reese

TFM-75

Post Thu May 22, 2008 8:54 am

Nice to know -- that's a little closer to Santa Fe NM than Washington State is....

I'll be interested to read about your background with Carver solid state pre-amps, amps, etc., too!
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu May 22, 2008 10:51 am

Me too, in that I live in Arizona. What experience do you have with triac triggered magnetic coil driven power supplies?
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

drewideth

Post Fri May 23, 2008 1:16 pm

Well, I have a solid background in generic solid state and tube amplifier topology and am very fluent with the TFM, A, and AV series amplifiers. On the aspect of repair, a circuit is a circuit, and each individual component is doing its job to specifications or it isn't. So some manufacturers use an unregulated power supply and some use a regulated, some use a triple darlington output array and some use an intergrated transistor, but fundamentally they are all using basic solid state components to create their circuit and those components have to operate under certain conditional laws that are easily tested. There are many circuit configurations that I am not familiar with, though I am familiar with all of the components that they are made of. I am not saying I can fix anything but I do have a 98% success rate over the past three years and there is no charge if I can't fix it minus S&H.

When it comes to cross-overs, that's where the fun begins. I have a couple of designs for the Amazings, but I have not had a chance to dig into any ALIII's yet. X-over design just takes time, listening, and a component hot swap helps a lot too. If you allready know what points and slopes you want and also what type of network (butterworth, zoble, etc.) I would be more that happy to build them for what ever power application and impedence you like. As for the components, some like Aura caps vs. Janzten and so on, but you have to be careful to use the right "spices" because ice cream doesn't exactally taste good with oregano.

As for an example of pricing, I just reapired two TFM-6CB's for a local customer. One had a bad toroid, and the other's output stage went into meltdown to the extent of replacing all eight output transistors with accompaning shunt resistors and the protection relay also I had to reair a few parts of the PCB that had been burnt through. Fortunally, I was able to get the toroid fairly cheap and was able to repair both amps for about $160.00 parts and labor.

I also offer a few designs of my own, both tube and solid state all hand-wired amps and preamps. For home, studio, and guitar.

Thank you very much for your replies and interest.

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum