OCCD.... Maybe just OCD

Admitting you have a problem, is the 1st step to recovery. Help a friend in need !!!
audiophile101
TFM-55

OCCD.... Maybe just OCD

Post by audiophile101 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:30 am

I like carver gear as much as the rest of you (well, maybe not), but my problem is just audio gear in general. I must admit if there is one thing I buy too much of it's Yamaha Speakers. Those old Beryllium speakers are great!

skip
aka (Sasquach)

Post by skip » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:12 pm

The gauntlet is thrown. Bring yer Yammies to Carverfest 08 and We'll put em up against my Plats. Bet You'll be totally Carver after that matchup.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:36 pm

Ever heard Martin Logans driven with Carver amps? It's a little slice of heaven dude...

Come to CarverFest. My little Logans may not rattle your teeth like a pair of Plats, but I almost guarantee I can make you cry with Nora Jones, Eva Cassidy, and Diana Krall...

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

skip
aka (Sasquach)

Post by skip » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:37 pm

True dat! Dreamer's system is sweet. Never thought much of ML's until I heard them driven by Silver 7t's. That's a match made in heaven.
Sasquatch

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:07 pm

Thanks Skip, but as a matter of fact, my little Scenarios at CarverFest were being driven by a single M-500t. One of my Silver7t's developed a buzz at CarverFest due to a loose RCA input jack, and I didn't use them at all the whole weekend...

If you think they sounded sweet at CarverFest, you should hear them driven by the S7t's--now that I've fixed the jack. Those little MLs sound AMAZING driven by the 7t's, and my Sequels, which are about twice the size, sound even better!

Unfortunately, the Sequels are just too big and heavy to bring to the 'Fest. Perhaps if I have scored a pair of ML Vantages by the next CarverFest, I'll bring them. They are a little smaller than the Sequels, and weigh about half as much, and sound about 5 times better, and I can bi-amp them (unlike the Sequels or Scenarios), plus they have on-board amps for the subs (based on ICE amp technology).

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

skip
aka (Sasquach)

Post by skip » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:29 am

Dang Dreamer, that make me even more impressed with the M-500t. Thought you fixed the terminals while there. I had the same problem with my 9t and remember discussing the fix with you. That is one of the best things about the Fest, there is always an answer to a problem from one of the attendee's. Too bad we can't magically transfer all the audio knowledge of the folks attending to CD. Actually, it would probably take several DVD's to hold it all. Everybody seems to have a specialty too.
Sasquatch

audiophile101
TFM-55

Post by audiophile101 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:22 am

skip wrote:The gauntlet is thrown. Bring yer Yammies to Carverfest 08 and We'll put em up against my Plats. Bet You'll be totally Carver after that matchup.
How much? :)

The Yammys are truly sweet, but need the proper equipment. When I got my first pair of NS-1000 Monitors I honestly thought they were a joke. I was driving them with a top Denon receiver at that time (AVR-5700). I tried a few solid state amplifiers with them and they got better with the more vintage solid state stuff (sansui au-717, Onkyo ?, Pioneer SA series stuff. It was if they were trying to hard to reproduce the sound (if that makes any sense) with the Denon. Then I used my trusty MXR-130 strictly as an amplifier. It was by far the best solid state amplifier I used with them. I did use a M-400T for a while but it was having intermittent problems and I sent it back. It sounded just like the MXR-130 but with more power to spare. Here's were the magic comes in (something your plats will probably never see. Tube amps (mainly SET).

I've tried a few tube amps on them now and it for sure that every one sounded magical and simply blew the doors off the ss stuff. My two favorites were 845 tubes and 300b tubes. Magic I tell you. They image and sound so lifelike with unbelievable response and smoothness. The beryllium drivers are so perfectly calmed down that you can listen to them for hours with no fatigue. So in a nutshell the NS-1000's seem to suck with home theater receivers, are ok with stereo stuff, mainly vintage for some reason, and sound simply magical with tubes. I'm sure some of the real nice solid state stuff like Mcintosh, Mark Levenson, ect.. will sound amazing also, but I haven't had the priveledge to use any of them with my speakers. I'm sticking with the Yammy's. They may be a picky speaker, but when done correctly the sound is world class and isn't that what were all after? I might just bring a pair seriously! Maybe you can find a carver combo that will blow me away. I have faith, trust me.

Oh and Klipsch RF3's or 5's matched with a nice Denon receiver is simply awesome. It's just goes to show you really need to find the right partners to have a great system. Too bad it cost so much money!

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:13 pm

I'll tell you one thing, the hardest challenge I had at CarverFest was setting up my rig so that it would sound even a tiny bit as good as it does in my house.

I KNOW what my gear sounds like in my listening room--I've spend hours tweaking the speaker positions, adding minor acoustic treatments, moving the subwoofer, etc. To throw all my gear in a truck, drive it 8 hours, unload it into a strange cabin I've never seen before, and expect it to sound like anything but absolute shit is a pretty tall order. It took me about 4 hours to get it sounding OK, and by the end of the weekend I had it sounding pretty decent, considering.

I was very impressed with some of the other setups there. I can only imagine how sweet some of these guy's rigs must sound in their "native environment" t home, with hours of tweaking and acoustic treatments...

You may or may not be "blown away" at CarverFest. That depends on who is there and what gear they bring. But one thing is for sure, you will get the opportunity to hear a collection of gear you would NEVER see or hear anywhere else on the planet, and you'll have the opportunity to pick the brains of some VERY dedicated, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable Carver fanatics, who are all VERY willing to spin a yarn into the wee hours... :D

I know I learned a few things at the first CarverFest, and I REALLY enjoyed meeting all these guys, and putting faces to all the names. The attendees of CarverFest 2007 was a top-notch collection of folks, and we all had a great time of it. I hope you can make it to the 'Fest this year!

--Richard

audiophile101
TFM-55

Post by audiophile101 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:01 pm

I agree that setting up a system in some mystery area is a lose lose situation, but i guess you just have to make the best of it as you did. I myself have some acoustic foam treatments to my listning room. It helps control the bass and cleans up the highs a bit. I didn't get carried away like some people that cover every square inch of the room. I used in my eyes just enough. I actually removed some to get it tweeked to perfection. Actualluy I'm going to be replacing my metal blinds with cloth ones. Suprisingly when removed it makes a minor difference, but it's there and every little bit helps in the long run.

Yeah, I hope I make it to Carverfest 08. The $105 isn't the problem, it's the freakin time. Work always gets in the way of the fun times. ](*,)

Return to “OCCD... ( Obsessive Carver Collecting Disorder )”