ARGH OCCD

Admitting you have a problem, is the 1st step to recovery. Help a friend in need !!!
rolereversal
TFM-25

ARGH OCCD

Post by rolereversal » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:23 pm

Okay I know I have it.....YIKES
Remember the originals we saw in December..they were for sale in a local audio store- then, we waited a bit too long in going back to buy them... long story short?
I have been looking for them everday; on craigslist, buy and sell, in the papers, in the audio shops and pawn shops...well almost everywhere!
8) I found them, for sale again.... I know what they sold for from the audio shop. And I am sure the woofs will need an upgrade.
If our silvers from 1990 did and the originals are older...they must be due!
Well I offered 800 for them(I think that's fare, but he wants $1000) they look great ...really sweet shape in apperance but, I feel those woofers will need replacing soon and it'll cost us a few more bills to get them here.
OCCD I gotta get them...OCCD
I couldn't sleep last night as I was thinking about going to get them!
Crazy crazy OCCD
Maybe he will change his mind and let them go for 800....hmmmmmmmmm

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Re: ARGH OCCD

Post by treitz3 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:18 pm

Well good luck. See if you can't take the grill off and show him any possible defect to lower the price even more. Definitely test the speakers before purchase. There is waaaaaay too much money involved if the ribbons and the woofers need assistance to get back up to par.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:31 pm

rolereversal wrote:Okay I know I have it.....YIKES
Remember the originals we saw in December..they were for sale in a local audio store- then, we waited a bit too long in going back to buy them... long story short?
I have been looking for them everday; on craigslist, buy and sell, in the papers, in the audio shops and pawn shops...well almost everywhere!
8) I found them, for sale again.... I know what they sold for from the audio shop. And I am sure the woofs will need an upgrade.
If our silvers from 1990 did and the originals are older...they must be due!
Well I offered 800 for them(I think that's fare, but he wants $1000) they look great ...really sweet shape in apperance but, I feel those woofers will need replacing soon and it'll cost us a few more bills to get them here.
OCCD I gotta get them...OCCD
I couldn't sleep last night as I was thinking about going to get them!
Crazy crazy OCCD
Maybe he will change his mind and let them go for 800....hmmmmmmmmm
I'm driving my office system with a TFM-55 to Original Amazing Loudspeakers and have noticed a difference in bass response compared to Marcia. Marcia goes further into the lower registers than any of my other amps. The only amp I've heard that can do the same thing was TNRabbit's Sunfire. You'll find your Silvers an easier load to drive than the Originals too.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:56 pm

Here's a good plan... (Take Cash) but only bring $900. That way, you can't possibly pay the $1000 he wants.
Tell him you want to take a look at the drivers, (bring your own phillips head screwdriver) and take the 6 screws out.
If the foam on the subs is in good shap on BOTH speakers, tell him you'll take them but you oanly have $900.
If the foam is dry, hard, bracked, or sticky, Offer $500 and walk away.

The ribbons are another thing you need to look into. Tell him you want to hear them hooked up.
Bring a CD that has ALLOT of panio in it !!! That will make the ribbons buzz for sure....
(even if they are in pretty good condiotion, it can bring it out)
That might be something else you might be able the get the price down with.

$800 for Originals is good, if they are in good condition...
$1000 is a good price if they are in REALLY good condition.
$500 is about right if everything needs work.

I wouldn't buy them unless you can listen to them 1st, and listen to them LOUD...
At low volumes, they will sound great either way !!!

rolereversal
TFM-25

Post by rolereversal » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:16 pm

Thanks for all the great info guys...I will keep you posted! [-o<

maddmaxxx
(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post by maddmaxxx » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:19 pm

-miss RR; talk to mr aa77...he's got a pr of ALS originals w/1 bad ribbon, [out of the 4]

-believe he may be close to your neck of the woods

-ya never know, he might bite for less $$$

-and you know ribbons, now [EXPERT]

-just try'in to enable :D

-peace
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro

rolereversal
TFM-25

Post by rolereversal » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:39 pm

maddmaxxx wrote:-miss RR; talk to mr aa77...he's got a pr of ALS originals w/1 bad ribbon, [out of the 4]

-believe he may be close to your neck of the woods

I think he's near the east coast in Ontario?

-ya never know, he might bite for less $$$

-and you know ribbons, now [EXPERT]
Now thats funny! I sure am not -just cuttin' my teeth! :lol:

-just try'in to enable :D

-peace

rolereversal
TFM-25

Post by rolereversal » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:43 pm

Still waiting for a couple days to think about looking at them closer....hmmmmmmm. Because I know if I go to look at them I'll want them!

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:46 pm

JUST GO.... GIVE IN !!!!!!!
you can regret it later, after to take them home and fall in love.

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by OBI56 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:01 pm

Maxxx needs a geography lesson: AA77 = Hamilton, ON (close to Buffalo, NY) RR = Maple Ridge, BC (close to Vancouver, WA or Seattle) Distance between Hamilton, ON and BC = 2/3 the way across the country, same as the distance between Buffalo, NY and Seattle WA.

Now, think it is possible to balance a pair of Amazings on a motorcycle for that distance? O:) O:) O:)
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

skip
aka (Sasquach)

Post by skip » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:29 am

I guarantee Maxx could do it. He would mount the ALS horizontally on the bike and fly them across the country \:D/
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by OBI56 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:33 am

skip wrote:I guarantee Maxx could do it. He would mount the ALS horizontally on the bike and fly them across the country \:D/
Figures HE would .....

Reese
TFM-75

Post by Reese » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:00 pm

:lol: Visions of a hang glider/fixed ALS-winged aircraft hopping intermittently off the road and into the air, then down again and up again! For 2000+ miles! whooppeee!
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by OBI56 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:02 pm

Reese wrote::lol: Visions of a hang glider/fixed ALS-winged aircraft hopping intermittently off the road and into the air, then down again and up again! For 2000+ miles! whooppeee!
Actually, closer to 3,500 miles!!!

Reese
TFM-75

Post by Reese » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:50 pm

well, I didn't look at a map, unfortunately, before opening my mouth -- I was just using my US-centric rule of thumb of 3000 miles coast to coast and 2/3 of that would be.... -- not remembering Canada stretches farther east and west.

Apologies to my northern neighbors! I've always wanted to take a train from the Pacific (say, Vancouver) across Canada to the farthest eastern point I could go. Still a dream - and some day I hope to do it!
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge

Return to “OCCD... ( Obsessive Carver Collecting Disorder )”