Carver Silver Seven-t Monoblocks

Amplifier Reviews
Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Carver Silver Seven-t Monoblocks

Post by Dreamer » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:46 pm

I'm working on a write-up of the Silver 7t, but I'm waiting for the back-issue of Stereophile (Jan 1990) where they gave a scathing review of it. I want to post snippets from their review, and then refute them line by line from my experience. The back-issue should be here next week, so hopefully I'll be able to complete my writeup and post the whole thing sometimes late next week...

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:59 am

After the Carver Challenge, they really hated Bob, didn't they?
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Mr. M-500t
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by Mr. M-500t » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:03 am

BillD wrote:After the Carver Challenge, they really hated Bob, didn't they?
Yes they did.
Stereo Review had nothing good to say about him it seemed after the challenge. Thats why I canceled my subscription. They were all fools and only seemed to care about the mass market corps.

stereo_buff
TFM-55

Post by stereo_buff » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:43 am

Mr. M-500t wrote: Stereo Review had nothing good to say about him it seemed after the challenge.
It was Stereophile, not Stereo Review. What could they say? The exalted mucho, buckola names of high-end audio (read advertisers with big $$$, revered by the most high) were being assaulted by a producer of "mid-fi" equipment, in their opinion, who was ripping off the intellectual property, if you will (the sonic characteristics), of the most high. Though Stereophile begrudgingly caves in to state that Bob had matched the sound of reference amp, they couldn't let it go without a dig to the effect that copying (the sound) someone else's original design was something less than stellar. But Bob came back with the Silver Seven and made them all eat crow. From then till now, Stereophile has either blackballed or just plain ignored his products.

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:47 pm

From the review of the Carver Silver Seven-t which appeared in the January 1990 issue of Stereophile (pp152-156), The esteemed Robert Harley (now editor-in-chief of "The Absolute Sound") wrote in his summary of the S7t:

"If the Carver Silver Seven-t has any redeeming sonic characteristics, I could not discover them; instead, I was turned off by it's thin, hard, bright character. The sound was unmusical and uninvolving. In addition, bass reproduction was sluggish and ill-defined, robbing music of any sense of excitement. In fact, the Carver Silver Seven-t's were the worst-sounding amplifiers I have heard in a long time, and I am at a loss to explain why Larry Archibald was so impressed with them, as reported in last month's "Final Word" column..."

Bobby's test rig included the newly-released (at that time) Martin Logan Sequel II, Audio Research SP-14 preamp, Marantz CD-94 CD player, VPI HW-19 Jr. TT with an audioquest PT-5 tonearm and Sumiko Boron vdH cartridge. AudioQuest Hyperlitz Clear cables connected the amps to the speakers.

------------------------------------------------------------------

My rig is not altogether dissimilar to Harley's, at least on the level of audiophile quality. I have Martin Logan Sequels (the original version), a Krell preamp, an Oppo DV-981-HD feeding a Benchmark DAC-1 usb as my primary digital music source, and the whole thing is wired with various versions of pure silver White Zombie Audio ICs and Nordost Solar Wind speaker cables.

I believe that either Robert Harley's review is the product of one (or more) of four possible situations. Either 1) he is completely tone-deaf, 2) he got a bad pair of Silver Seven-t's, 3) AudioQuest Hyperlitz Clears are a VERY bad match for the Carver/ML combination, or 4) he is exacting a personal vendetta against Bob Carver for making him (and the rest of the Sterephile Staff) look like idiots, 5 years before in the infamous "Carver Challenge".

Well, actually, I know for a fact that option 3 is true--prior to the new AudioQuest line (the ones with the little battery-powered thingies on them) AudioQuest cables (even the ultra high-end ones) were notoriously bad matches for Martin Logan speakers. And judging by EVERY SINGLE review in Stereophile prior to this one, and the few that came after, it's a pretty safe assumption that option 4 plays heavily into this review as well...

Judging by my system, in it's various incarnations (I used to have a Carver C-4000 "champagne" preamp, and a Meridan 208 CD player/preamp, and have used AQ, MIT, Monster, and various home-made speaker cables between the S7t's and the Sequels) I simply cannot understand Harley's review. I've owned TWO different sets of Silver Seven-t's, and they both sound FANTASTIC with my Sequels. WAY better than my M-200t, more authoritative than my M-500t, better than Brystons, better than NAD, better than custom-rebuilt Dynaco Model III monoblocks, better than almost any other amp I've had in my rig (with the qualified exception of a borrowed Krell KSA-150--it was more musical and tighter in the bass, but dry as hell in the mids)

In my rig, The Carver Silver 7-t is delightfully effortless. It is involving, powerful, authoritative when it needs to be, and delicate as a flower when the music calls for that as well. The S7t's never get warm, and the needles rarely get above the "1 o'clock" position--even when listening to BIG music at ear-splitting levels through what are notoriously inefficient speakers.

The Silver Seven-t drives my Martin Logans with grace, power, and smoothness. They are the only amp I've come across for under $5000 that CAN drive the martin Logan Sequels with all types of material and sound musical, precise, detailed and clean at any volume--whether at "polite conversation volumes, or at "rattle things off the walls" performance levels.

One thing is true, however--the Sequel/Silver7-t combination is VERY sensitive to what speaker wire you use. Any cable with more than a tiny bit of capacitance will sound flabby in the bass, cloudy in the mids, and harsh in the highs. Any cables with a high resistance will also sound soft in the bass, but the mids will be darker and the highs will roll off appreciably. You need "fast" cables--cables with ultra-low capacitance and inductance. Nordosts, the new AQ's, an the top-shelf Monsters all seem to work well. Some of the MIT's and Transparents also work well with this combination (but lack the "speed" and resolution of the Nordosts), and I have heard from other ML owners that Synergistic cables are a match made in heaven, but I've never heard them myself...

I canceled my subscription to Stereophile at the end of 1990 (after they had written two additional "follow-up" reviews of the Silver Seven-t; both of whic were equally as scathing and venomous) I had been a subscriber since I was a Freshman in College (1983), and I wrote several letters to them telling them what I thought of their reviews. I even confronted Lewis Lipnick in person (on of the later reviewers of the Silver Seven-t) at an "audiophile event" in the Washington DC area, regarding his review, and got a n equal amount of hushed indignation from him AND the gathered crowd...

I LOVE my Silver Seven-t monoblocks. I will most likely keep them forever. I think they match very well with electrostatic speakers--they have the power to drive hybrid ESLs like Martin Logans, the resolution, speed, and smoothness to elegantly drive electrostatic panels, and the S7t just has TONS of headroom and current.

I am a musician, and a HUGE fan of live music. I take in a lot of concerts--rock, classical, jazz, blues, folk, bluegrass--and I play saxophone, mandolin, harmonica, and percussion. I KNOW what real music sounds like. And the Silver Seven-t driving Martin Logan speakers is as close as I've ever gotten to "live" in my rig.

Thank you, Bob Carver, for making this delightfully powerful, accurate, and sweet-sounding amplifier. You have made my life infinitely more enjoyable!

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

snarffydoggy
SILVER-7t

Re: Carver Silver Seven-t Monoblocks

Post by snarffydoggy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:14 pm

What are the spec's on the silver 7t
snarffydoggy

Reese
TFM-75

Post by Reese » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:47 pm

snarffydoggy wrote:What are the spec's on the silver 7t

Power Output: 575 w RMS/ch into 8 ohms, 20-20kHz, no more than .5% total harmonic distortion
900 w/ch into 4 ohms, ditto
1000 w/ch into 2 ohms, ditto
SN ratio Greater than 100dB, A-weighted into 8 ohms
IM distortion: .5%
TIM distortion: unmeasurable %
Input Sensitivity: 2.3 volts RMS
Frequency bandwidth (-3dB): 3 Hz-60Hz
Power Consumption: 1400 watts at full power
Dimensions: 11.5"W x 7"H x 14.5"D
Weight: 16 pounds
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:12 pm

That's a LOT of juice from a 16 lb package...thanks for the write-up, Richard! :shock:
Last edited by TNRabbit on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

snarffydoggy
SILVER-7t

Post by snarffydoggy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:57 am

It is amazing!!!
snarffydoggy

Return to “Amplifiers”