TFM-35x vs TFM35x.2 mod.....

Amplifier Reviews
HRDROKN
TFM-45

TFM-35x vs TFM35x.2 mod.....

Post by HRDROKN » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:07 pm

I just received another TFM-35x in excellent condition, so I have had a chance to listen to it and the TFM-35x.2 back to back. Now I'm by no means any kind of authority on reviewing the sound of different equipment, just trying to tell it as I hear it...

My music selection was just what I was in the mood for at the time….

Metallica – Death Magnetic
The Unforgiven III

I will listen to some other material as time permits to see if my thoughts are the same.

Initially I kept the pre-amp level set…. and that was fairly loud! As reported previously with the .2 mods…. The bass range was much tighter/punchy, well this is still true, although more noticeable at the higher volume level where the stock 35x starts to get just a bit muddy (on some passages I thought that sounded better) and a bit deeper.

The midrange at the same elevated volume was better with the 35x… felt more musical. Now I need to add that a characteristic of my KLF’s is that the midrange becomes a bit more in your face as the volume level increases, so if the modified amp is flowing more current for a given level… then that makes sense. Backing off on the volume brought the 35x.2 back into the ball park and turning up the 35x anymore was surley going to get her too hot!

I don’t notice much if any differences in the highs… both amps are crisp and as detailed as the other.

Without a doubt… the .2 modification runs cooler! Can be pushed harder and longer…

So for straight up rockin out… the .2 mod gets the nod!

Till next time…..

8)
HRDROKN
MC-7P tube preanp, BBE2002R, Marchand XM44, TFM-35x .002, TFM-35x, M1.0t MKII .002, M500t, Silver 7t's, SDA-360 and Klipsch KLF-30's w/crites crossovers...

stevewithrow
SILVER-7t

Re: TFM-35x vs TFM35x.2 mod.....

Post by stevewithrow » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:19 pm

I wonder if there is any differance between the 35 and 35x...?....as far as power rating..

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:30 pm

I believe he was talking about the .2 version from RichP....right?

No power difference between the standard & x models. THX certified is all, which means exactly diddly squat...
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

stevewithrow
SILVER-7t

Post by stevewithrow » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:41 pm

TNRabbit wrote:I believe he was talking about the .2 version from RichP....right?

No power difference between the standard & x models. THX certified is all, which means exactly diddly squat...
He was talking about both...the .2 and 35 x....thanks , you answered my question one again.. =D>

Return to “Amplifiers”