AL-III+

Amplifier Reviews
NY_EE
Newbie 50+

AL-III+

Post by NY_EE » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:38 pm

I got a pair of these about 6 months ago for $700 from craigslist. They are simply amazing. I posted some pics in the audio forum when I pulled one of the subwoofers. I have them set up bi-amped with 2 100WPC amps and an external crossover but I left the passive crossovers in the speakers. I still need the notch filter in the passive. These things can lay sound stage like nothing else I have ever heard. I need more power, the amps clip easily at reasonable volume. I had to re-install the screws on one sub driver because it was rattling. They sound just OK on hard rock, and simply amazing on any music with space, like new age or jazz. Saxophone sounds like it's in the room, so does piano and vocals. Breathy stuff blows me away. Somehow they don't have the punch for rock as I said. Maybe that's because I have been listening to rock on cone speakers for so long, they mask poor recordings. I am sold on ribbons now. I want some more, especially one for a center channel.

Kinda a rambling review, but there it is.

Tom

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Re: AL-III+

Post by BillD » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:49 pm

I have AL-IIIs and just love them. Sure, they don't sound like Cerwin Vegas playing rock n' roll, but they aren't supposed to. ANyway, I've been looking for a center channel too, and the closest I've found are the Sunfires, either the CRM-2C or the CRS-3C. Just haven't pulled the trigger. I have an M&K S-125C running as my center right now, and it sounds OK.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

thuffman03
!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post by thuffman03 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:01 pm

I love my AL III's. I think they do a very good job on all music types. Not knowing much about the owner before you it could be that the subs were never broken in. Give them some time and play the hard and see if the base picks up.

Also they like a lot of power. Something like a TFM 42 or better. Get into the 500 wpc range into 4 ohm.
Some cool Carver stuff!

stevewithrow
SILVER-7t

Post by stevewithrow » Fri May 01, 2009 11:04 am

I also love my AL-III,s.....I use a TFM 35 for em , so I suspect there under powered . I do use a powered Paradigm sub with them . Other then that , the sound stage is 2nd to none . I am not the type to use them like a PA system , just a moderate level is good for me .

angelod307
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by angelod307 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:47 am

yes. i have owned my first pair since new in 1993, then got the other set that i sold to a freind when i bought mine. then a few years back he gave them up as well and now i am on my third set. the thing for most everybody to check on their ribbons is the red cable is on the same side in both speakers. when you look at the crossovers, the red wire should be on the same side as the red terminals. the third set that i got this past sunday had one ribbon out of phase. they really have a weird sound when that happens and do not stage for shit....poor guy that was the original owner to this third set never had a clue to the awesome sound these speakers have.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts

angelod307
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by angelod307 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:54 am

oh yeah, i also have several tfm35's and they will clip/pop/funny noise's as they do not have the punch that the tfm55's have. as far as biamp them, the original woofers only hold 100watts or so, and the crossovers is were the power is suckep up at. i would not waste my money on the bi-amp as the speakers sound much better when more power is applied in two amps running mono. i loved it with two 55's mono and a 35 running 4-12's in m&k style push/pull sealed boxes. even with just one 55 running a set, it sounds much, did i say "much", better than the tfm35. the 35 simply does not have the power to get the crazy levels out of these. and with two 55's, you can make them pop/buzz on demand. so they knew what they were talking about at the factory when they said these need between 65-575 per channel.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts

DaveS
The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post by DaveS » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:18 am

Having the AL5s, which are beefed up ALll3s, I too have to say they are amazing, so much so the Platts have left the house.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry

mbskeam
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by mbskeam » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:41 am

Having the AL5s, which are beefed up ALll3s,
what is in the AL5....???????

do tell us... :D :D :D

if you need the punch, the al3 subs are a bit on the week side, or they are falling apart,
in the 2 sets that I have gotten the oem woofers all had problems....
a subwwofer or diffrent subs in the al's, then drive them with there own amp.....
sounds way better.....
Mbskeam

SILVER 7's
Amazing Line Source
2 SVS PB16 SUBS
#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
WTL Amadeus GTA+DV DRT XV-1t
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"

Return to “Amplifiers”