Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Control Center

Pre-Amplifier Reviews
TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:12 pm

Let me begin by saying this is the finest preamplifier I've ever personally experienced in my lifetime. Minimal signal path interference combined with exquisite Sonic Holograpy & unique tone ("frequency contour") controls, plus a source direct/bypass mode combine to make for a WONDERFUL music experience. This preamp is the sweetest of sweet, uncolored, natural sound. Connected to a flux capacitor-powered Sunfire amp, there's no limit (I recommend the 600x2 stereo amplifier). With EIGHT VOLTS of incredibly clean output power, this baby will rock & roll if you have the downline juice.

The best aesthetic part of this piece is the little tube window which is cooler than cool!

There are both balanced & unbalanced outputs, three unswitched AC power outlets (1,000 watts total, so no plugging your Sunfire Amp into these!), and an optional and somewhat rare Moving Coil (Moving Magnet connection is standard) phono option that is highly coveted by vinyl lovers. There is also a remotely controlled volume option that is EXTREMELY rare. On the plus side, you can run extended balanced cables from your listening position to your amp location so there's no real need for the remote (but your going to spend a boatload on 20+ foot balance cables!).

Alas, I sold my dear Tube preamp to a fellow forum member (who I'm sure is enjoying it immensely) to help pay for a newly-acquired TG-IV & Cinema Seven Signature amplifier; a necessity I will continue to regret...

If you find one of these in good condition...beg, borrow or cash in your 401K to obtain it a soon as possible. You're better half might be sorry, but YOU won't be...

You'd be darned hard pressed to find a better preamp at any price, IF it can be done. O:)
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

SteveFord
SILVER-7t

Re: Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Control Center

Post by SteveFord » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:34 am

Ditto what TNRabbit said - this one is a keeper.
If you're looking for a preamp, just bite the bullet and buy this one and get it over with.
So many people downplay the importance of a preamp (for some odd reason) but they have a tremendous impact on how your stereo will sound.
No Sonic Holography, though. However, it does work quite well with a C9 unit attached.
Upstairs:
VTL MB-250 Signature monoblocks, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, HHb BurnIt Plus, Well Tempered Labs Classic, Ortofon 2M Black, Jolida JD-9 Phono Preamp, Sherwood S3000-IV tuner, VPI-17, Jolida JD-100, AKG 701, Beyerdynamics 881, NHT SW1-P subwoofer and amp, Magnepan 1.6, APC H15
Downstairs:
VTL DeLuxe 300 Monoblocks, Harman Kardon F500x tuner, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, Jolida JD-100, Oppo 981, Otari MX5050 BII, SVS SB-12 subwoofer, Magnepan 3.6
In Storage:
Stax Sigma headphones, signed DTL unit, Magnepan MMGs, Carver TX-11, TX-11a's

weitrhino
SILVER-7t

Post by weitrhino » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:50 pm

What gives here, gents? Does it have SH or not? Rabbit says it's "exquisite" and Steve says there is none.

SteveFord
SILVER-7t

Post by SteveFord » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:40 pm

None, here's a link to the Owner's Manual:
http://www.sunfire.com/pdf/Classic%20Tu ... Manual.pdf
Upstairs:
VTL MB-250 Signature monoblocks, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, HHb BurnIt Plus, Well Tempered Labs Classic, Ortofon 2M Black, Jolida JD-9 Phono Preamp, Sherwood S3000-IV tuner, VPI-17, Jolida JD-100, AKG 701, Beyerdynamics 881, NHT SW1-P subwoofer and amp, Magnepan 1.6, APC H15
Downstairs:
VTL DeLuxe 300 Monoblocks, Harman Kardon F500x tuner, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, Jolida JD-100, Oppo 981, Otari MX5050 BII, SVS SB-12 subwoofer, Magnepan 3.6
In Storage:
Stax Sigma headphones, signed DTL unit, Magnepan MMGs, Carver TX-11, TX-11a's

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:03 pm

DOH! #-o ](*,)
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

mikeg
M-400t CUBE

Post by mikeg » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:09 pm

TNR is right on, I'm the one who is thoroughly enjoying his ex-preamp, not to rub it in :) . I also came to the same conclusion in regards to it being the finest preamp, and I've had quite a few...still do. Anyway, I have another vacuum control center I picked up in mint shape with the phono board AND the remote option, which is really nice to have.
Sunfire 325x2, Sunfire 300x2, LightStar 2.0, LightStar Direct, Sunfire Vacuum tube preamp x 2, C-4000, C4000t, C-19, C-16,C-9, TX-11b, TX-11a, TX1-11, Pioneer F-91, Yamaha TX1000U x 2, Yamaha t-85, Silver Amazings (Oak & Black), Denon AVR-5803a, Yamaha DSP-AX1

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:26 pm

Gentle reminder, FYI:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=3507

Here in the equipment reviews threads, I would like to keep this as clean as possible and not turn this into a bunch of discussion threads. What I would like to see happen is each piece of equipment only receiving one new thread and please do not ask questions about the equipment only post your reviews. If you'd like to ask questions about this piece of equipment please post a new thread in a different category. I do not want to see the reviews thread turned into a discussion thread please keep it as a neat and clean as possible. If any thread becomes a discussion thread, I'll split the thread and remove all inappropriate discussion questions and answers to a separate thread in the forum.

~Toy Maker

I suggest making a new thread in the regular locations and referencing this one... :D :D
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

Return to “Pre-Amplifiers”