FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:31 am

what type of Amp???

<<

sisu1a

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: what type of Amp???

does it matter if the amp is thx certified or not if using for ht while listening to either of the dolby formats?

No. THX certification only ensures that the manufacturer paid Lucasfilm engineers to verify that it meets certain performance benchmark standards set by THX to ensure it's up to at least minimum snuff. Besides the cert process, there's also a THX sound mode, which is to be avoided. My Integra receiver is THX certified, but I NEVER use the "THX" sound mode due to what it does (most notably changing the sub x-over freq to 80Hz), so I just use direct DTS (or whatever a movie is encoded in) or ProLogicII Music (sometimes Neo6 Music) if it's a 2ch movie/TVshow/etc source and I want to have surround sound. I prefer the Music versions cause they sound more natural to me than the Cinema versions of those soundfield settings.

Will my auddesy sound field from reciever still come through the amp?

As far as I understand it, Audyssey is an automatic dynamic eq thingie you use only after config changes, and as such should not be affected by this configuration. Your receiver was designed to biamp the main channels, so it should behave properly with the integrated eq feature. After you get your biamp wiring setup, listenn to it before and after going through the Audyssey eq process. It's possible that it is turning the gain on your mains lower than you prefer. If that's the case, after eq'ing it you can manually access the main channel's gain control in the receiver's menu and bump them up to your preference.

-p

ps. what type of sub do you have, and what is your x-over set at?
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:42 pm

Realize that even if you receiver is rated for 140 wpc, that is probably only true for the main channels. As you add speakers to each channel, the overall wpc output WILL decrease. You can't get blood from a turnip, & a 15 amp circuit will only support so much (1800 watts total, approx., if your amp is 100% efficient). Running 7.1 AND asking it to biamp the mains is probably a bit much. I'd be surprised if you're getting 70 wpc at full tilt with all channels going.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:38 pm

sisu1a wrote:
I'll have to figure out how to Bi Amp them, would that change the ohm rating going into the speakers?

In the last pic you show the binding posts. If you remove the speaker wires and loosen both sets of posts, both of the the gold pieces of metal that are bridging (connecting) the upper and lower posts will come off. Reconnect a pair of speaker wires to the top set and use another pair of speaker wires to connect the bottom set to the appropriate amp outputs on your receiver. It will now be two 4 ohm loads, so set your amp accordingly. You will also need to make sure your Denon is set to 7.1 with 2 sets of main outputs, as opposed to 9.1. That's it.

-P

/\ What he said /\ :D
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:53 pm

Receivers in general are not designed to run big, powerful speakers, they're simply designed to run monitor / sub combinations. Even "high power" receivers are more like high horsepower, low torque design, torque being damping factor or the ability to control woofers. Bi-amping may get you a bit louder but still won't sound as good as adding a separate amplifier. You could choose to add a nice sub and crossover your mains, that would take a lot of stress of the receiver.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:15 pm

I think you are ready for a Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 x 200 amp and a Theather Grand IV and quit fooling around. If you like that set up you can look at upgrading your amp to a Cinema Grand Sig 5 x 400 amp down the road.

Then you can start looking at Speakers. I HAD a Carver CT 29V with a couple CT15cbs and a Phase Linear 400 for my all Klipsch surrounds. As the years went by, pre-internet I might add, the Carver amps developed problems and one by one they ended up in the basement waiting for Al Fore to invent the internet so i could find someone to fix my Carver stuff, Alas, I divest, well I ended up getting a nice Onkyo receiver and after 5 years replaced it with a bigger Yamaha.

On my CT29V Dolby was separate LFR channels and mixed the surround, so I never really benefited with 5 separate discrete channels till I got the receivers. They never put out enough clean power to really enjoy a movie like I thought I should. I had Klipsch La Scalas, I figured 1 watt should drive them fine, any receiver should be ok...right?

Well, when I finally broke down and bought a Cinema Grand Sig 5 x 400 and a Theather Grand IV, it was like a revelation. My speakers lit up like the days of old and I heard sounds I hadn't heard for years.

Those receivers, they were decent $700 to $800 bucks a pop, NEVER delivered the sound they should have. I was lulled into audio depravity for five or six years. It wasn't till I got back to a quality component level system that I realized what i was missing.

Do yourself a favor, I'll bet you can get a decent Sunfire set up for $1,200 to $1,400 bucks. It will give you both HT and 2 channel music to die for, even if you have to save up to get them.

Just my 2 cents
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN 2.1 DAC, Oppo DV-981HD, Lowther PM4a/Azurahorn/SentryIV

2 channel - AN L3 Signature Line stage, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Altec A5's

2 channel - empty, Klipschorns

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Altec A4's
<<

PDR

TFM-45

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:29 pm

Tinpan hit it squarely....The Swans at 90db sens need more....
<<

josephzetti1

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:45 pm

TNRabbit wrote:Realize that even if you receiver is rated for 140 wpc, that is probably only true for the main channels. As you add speakers to each channel, the overall wpc output WILL decrease. You can't get blood from a turnip, & a 15 amp circuit will only support so much (1800 watts total, approx., if your amp is 100% efficient). Running 7.1 AND asking it to biamp the mains is probably a bit much. I'd be surprised if you're getting 70 wpc at full tilt with all channels going.

So it would be better to Amp the front 2 or 3 speakers then correct ?
If any one knows of a tfm 55x or the m 500 t(sp?) for sale please let me know. Saw one tfm55x on e-bay but he wanted 800 dollars, too much for me.
Thank you.
<<

josephzetti1

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:50 pm

jjptkd wrote:Receivers in general are not designed to run big, powerful speakers, they're simply designed to run monitor / sub combinations. Even "high power" receivers are more like high horsepower, low torque design, torque being damping factor or the ability to control woofers. Bi-amping may get you a bit louder but still won't sound as good as adding a separate amplifier. You could choose to add a nice sub and crossover your mains, that would take a lot of stress of the receiver.

I have a Sub and it does a good job and the speakers are crossed over at 80hz
This helped some. Thanks for the reply, I,m taking all this help in very slowly(only because that's how fast my brain moves lol)
<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:04 pm

Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN 2.1 DAC, Oppo DV-981HD, Lowther PM4a/Azurahorn/SentryIV

2 channel - AN L3 Signature Line stage, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Altec A5's

2 channel - empty, Klipschorns

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Altec A4's
<<

josephzetti1

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:44 pm

tinpan wrote:I think you are ready for a Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 x 200 amp and a Theather Grand IV and quit fooling around. If you like that set up you can look at upgrading your amp to a Cinema Grand Sig 5 x 400 amp down the road.

Then you can start looking at Speakers. I HAD a Carver CT 29V with a couple CT15cbs and a Phase Linear 400 for my all Klipsch surrounds. As the years went by, pre-internet I might add, the Carver amps developed problems and one by one they ended up in the basement waiting for Al Fore to invent the internet so i could find someone to fix my Carver stuff, Alas, I divest, well I ended up getting a nice Onkyo receiver and after 5 years replaced it with a bigger Yamaha.

On my CT29V Dolby was separate LFR channels and mixed the surround, so I never really benefited with 5 separate discrete channels till I got the receivers. They never put out enough clean power to really enjoy a movie like I thought I should. I had Klipsch La Scalas, I figured 1 watt should drive them fine, any receiver should be ok...right?

Well, when I finally broke down and bought a Cinema Grand Sig 5 x 400 and a Theather Grand IV, it was like a revelation. My speakers lit up like the days of old and I heard sounds I hadn't heard for years.

Those receivers, they were decent $700 to $800 bucks a pop, NEVER delivered the sound they should have. I was lulled into audio depravity for five or six years. It wasn't till I got back to a quality component level system that I realized what i was missing.

Do yourself a favor, I'll bet you can get a decent Sunfire set up for $1,200 to $1,400 bucks. It will give you both HT and 2 channel music to die for, even if you have to save up to get them.

Just my 2 cents

You guys are good writers with a great sense of humor on this site :lol: ... wouldn't mind getting the Cin Grand 200x5, if i can find one in good working order.
I just got done saving for the denon 4311 so the Theater Grand IV will have to wait #-o
The Denon does a great job for sound processing the ht, I think I just need more power like your saying. Do the processors like the TG4 have hdmi connections?
What price range would you say the Cg5 should be going for in good condition? It's an old model isn't it?
Thanks for the great advice, keep it coming please I do appreciate everyones help!! Thank You all..
<<

josephzetti1

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:59 pm

How much are you asking for the m500t, why r u selling it. ( I would take the one that works :lol: )
Those are nice amps, but too much for me right now, thanks for the links, I wish I could get one of those.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:44 pm

You can find a decent Cinema Grand for about $700-$850.00. That one tinpan referenced was refurbed, so that's why their asking price is higher.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
Previous

Return to "The Welcome Mat"