FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:46 pm

The 1.5 ohm resistor

<<

Carv-it-up

TFM-6cb

Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:03 pm

The 1.5 ohm resistor

On the Carver-fest YouTube video a question was asked if that 1.5 ohm resister could be done on a M500t, but Bob said he wasn’t sure…and that he would get back to us with an answer. Has anyone tried this yet; on a M500t or any other Carver amp? If so, how’d it sound?

So far I haven’t been able to locate on-line or otherwise a 1.5 ohm 50 watt resistor.
Two Signature Cinema Grand Series II amplifiers (both are used in bi-amping my Infinity IRS Beta speakers)
Cherry 180's (use them off & on to power the mids/highs tower of IRS Beta speakers)
Sunfire Signature 600~Two amplifier (used on Thiel CS5i)
Carver TX-12 tuner
Own & working, but not in use right now - Sunfire Series II amplifier + two Carver M500t MKII amplifiers + Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamplifier preamp w/ phono & remote.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:13 pm

Re: The 1.5 ohm resistor

Engtaz brought some kick ass "Party Gifts" this year, and handed a bunch of them around.
I got a set, but still haven't tried dropping them in one of my amps yet.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... L501.5F-ND <- In Stock
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... HRD-1.5-ND <- In Stock
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... C50-1.5-ND <- In Stock

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... RHD-1.5-ND
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... 50-1.5F-ND

Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Carv-it-up

TFM-6cb

Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:39 pm

Thanks for the link.
I’m looking for the differences in the three that you show that are not in bulk. I see that the pricing is slightly different, but what else?
Two Signature Cinema Grand Series II amplifiers (both are used in bi-amping my Infinity IRS Beta speakers)
Cherry 180's (use them off & on to power the mids/highs tower of IRS Beta speakers)
Carver TX-12 tuner
Own & working, but not in use right now - Sunfire Series II amplifier + two Carver M500t MKII amplifiers + Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamplifier preamp w/ phono & remote.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:02 pm

You don't want to do it on (t) units. Only on non tube amps.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:59 pm

Carv-it-up wrote:Thanks for the link.
I’m looking for the differences in the three that you show that are not in bulk. I see that the pricing is slightly different, but what else?

No idea what so ever. I'd call them and ask.
Probably just different mfg's.

Roy says not to modd a "T" amp....
You won't hurt it, but it already has the modd done to it, you will be doubling up on "tubiness" I guess :lol: :lol:
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Carv-it-up

TFM-6cb

Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:09 pm

Engtaz, do they really sound that bad on “t-modded” sets? Is it too tubish of a sound that you experienced?
Did you experiment with any other resistor values? Maybe like a 1ohm or 0.5 resistors?

Anybody else fool around with this? So many people sounded really enthused in the video about trying this out.
Carver TX-12 tuner
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:41 pm

Wasnt Bob referring that you put this on the positive speaker wire from the amp to the speaker to get a tube like sound...???
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:46 pm

stevewithrow wrote:Wasnt Bob referring that you put this on the positive speaker wire from the amp to the speaker to get a tube like sound...???

Yes, but the models ending in "t" already have this voicing in the amp.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:17 pm

One member tried it with a (t) unit and said it became muddy. I have not done it but when Bob mentioned this he was speaking on making a SS amp sound tube by by doing this. T models already does this.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

Carv-it-up

TFM-6cb

Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:25 pm

Oh, ok.

Guess I won’t be doing that.
Carver TX-12 tuner
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:59 am

This mod has a ton to do with what speaker you are driving.

This is the inverse to the idea that higher dampening factor is good. This is lowering the dampening and allowing the woofer to be less controlled. It's sound is certainly part of what transformer coupled and low or no feedback amps bring to the table.

Some drivers and enclosure tunings tend to prematurely curtail driver movement. So the idea is to more natually mimic the original sound, not create a completely different version. To restore the naturalness of the sound.

Works in some situations, not in others. No harm done in trying it as long as you are careful with the physicals of the implementation. BTW...you can also implement it with a very small and/or long speaker wire.

Mark
<<

lives country ( carver )

TFM-25

Post Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:29 am

Mark....just a thought :-k

Has anyone considered doing the oposite, and remove the series resistors, or use a pair of aligator clips and place a jumper across the resistors. (trial)
Seems to me the tfm 42/45's has 3 or 4 resistors in parallel, (Rt=1.5 ohm 50+w) Isn't this method used in all the tfm series amps?
..if done, wouldn't this cause a higher damping ability of the amp by tighter control over voice coils or would the counter emf or feedback cause amplifier damage or unstability?
One could wire a single pole switch across the resistors, then easilly select tube or SS voice, at will. Isn't this principal used in the Sunfire Amps current/voltage output speaker terminals? :-k

...any thoughts...
(might be great for vertical bi-amping) think any amp damage?
country's...pure sole...
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:13 am

With a properly functioning amplifier, no, bypassing the resistor would not cause any harm. At least as long as you don't let it short out to the chassis or something.... Keep in mind that with the case of the alligator clips that they are then in series across the resistor and aren't likely to really be a very pleasing sonic quality.

The question is, and this is a good test for anybody with a T modded amp, is the result more pleasing to you with or without? Higher dampening without it, yes. But is a higher dampened sound more real or less...? Very dependant on the amp and speaker system in play along with the sonics that please you.

Mark
<<

lives country ( carver )

TFM-25

Post Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:14 am

..hi Mark
I'm sure ure on line with me in following what I posted about removing the resistance value on t modded amps for trial use only, (without disturbing the "soldered in resistor group") is that current will always take the path of least resistance, hence by placing a aligator clip pair using say #14 stranded cu. in Parallel (meaning, across or around the resistor group) effectively removes the Rt 1.5 ohm from the speaker terminal circuit. This would of course need be done to both channels, and I agree to make certain one dosen't cause any short to chassis or any other circuitry.

Do I understand corectly in your opinion if one does this, it would not create any voltage value changes to the circuit designs, leading up to this point where the resistor group is soldered in?
Am I to understand that basically the speaker output wattage at that point is comming from the output transformer windings or transistors?? :-k :-k emm ....shit, I guess I should start reading some schematics, eh!, and find out some answers to these questions myself! :)

Is the principal, "resistors in circuit", "resistors out of circuit" is what is used in the sunfire design at the current/voltage speaker terminal,...user choice? emm..interesting!
country's...pure sole...

Return to Carver Home (Audio)