FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:50 pm

Carver original ALS...What are they worth on today's market?

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue May 11, 2010 9:06 pm

Carver original ALS...What are they worth on today's market?

OK, I have a serious question regarding the ORIGINAL Amazing Loudspeakers. Knowing what "most" of the long standing members know about them......how much would they be worth to the true audiophile?

Truth is, they have to have a LOT of power in order to sing. Many folks who purchase them don't really know actually how much power they truly need and they end up selling them off at an average [just by what I've seen over the years] of $600 or so dollars.

I had a Carver M1.5t and a 4.0t [probably more Carver amps at the time] trying to power them and for my listening preferences? They just didn't cut the cake. That said, I have heard them on a Lightstar amp and one of Bob's new tube amps and the playback performance was absolutely accurate and a joy to listen too.

Do you think that if one already had adequate power to amplify these bad boys properly that they would be worth more or are they "just" another speaker that folks flip through without ever realizing their true potential?
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Tue May 11, 2010 10:47 pm

Re: Carver original ALS...What are they worth on today's mar

I know if some one offered me 3000.00 for mine the answer would be no... That is a great question...And what speaker made today would you compare them to...I believe there is a company that makes real similar speakers to the ALS,s that go for around 10,000.00
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Tue May 11, 2010 11:14 pm

Well I just got my als3 hooked back up...
I was driving the ribbons with a kenwood 220watts into 8ohm, I know the ribbons are 4ohm.....
the kenwoods did not like this, it sounded just okay :? ...
my point is, I think most people dont even have amps this big, most of the crap people buy now at the box stores sucks ASS.....
but now I have the ribbons driven with a tfm45.....well all I can say is :D :D :D :D :D
and the subs bi-amped, way better.....
I can tell you these ribbons need .....

POWER

to sound good....... :D :D :D :D :D

and these are the newer 48" ribbons, not those 4 30" power hungry monsters....

we need even more power...... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed May 12, 2010 2:41 am

Around 600 dollars..and while it may cost 10 times over to reproduce the sound in todays market,, they are just like the vintage Polk SDA's,, appeal to a certain small portion of the consumer market,,everybody in the main stream wants a plug n' play small footprint product.

Hey guys,, we are just a splinter group,,,a hardcore cell of audiphiles,, tubes strapped to our bodies,, ready for the great gig in the sky.
What else do you expect me to post at three am,,I just got up to pee and post. 8)
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Wed May 12, 2010 4:33 am

Put the correct power the the ALS's is a must. Your right Tom, power is everything to the ALS's and the fact they can drop close to 2 ohms hurts a lot of amps. (which, If you have heard a amp stain to play it's not a good thing)
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed May 12, 2010 7:52 am

What else do you expect me to post at three am,,I just got up to pee and post.
......A TRUE dedicated Carverite!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed May 12, 2010 12:43 pm

treitz3 wrote:OK, I have a serious question regarding the ORIGINAL Amazing Loudspeakers. Knowing what "most" of the long standing members know about them......how much would they be worth to the true audiophile?

Truth is, they have to have a LOT of power in order to sing. Many folks who purchase them don't really know actually how much power they truly need and they end up selling them off at an average [just by what I've seen over the years] of $600 or so dollars.

I had a Carver M1.5t and a 4.0t [probably more Carver amps at the time] trying to power them and for my listening preferences? They just didn't cut the cake. That said, I have heard them on a Lightstar amp and one of Bob's new tube amps and the playback performance was absolutely accurate and a joy to listen too.

Do you think that if one already had adequate power to amplify these bad boys properly that they would be worth more or are they "just" another speaker that folks flip through without ever realizing their true potential?

Tom,

My cousin owns a Home Theatre business and before the recession hit, almost all of his speaker business for the last decade or so are the tiny satellites with a sub, even though he has some very good full range speaker lines. This seems to have been the trend for a good number of years. I would assume alot of it has to do with the WAF and space requirements. (Bose marketing anyone?)

I am personally a big speaker kind of guy. (Legacy Focus, Legacy Whispers on order, Carver Plat. 4's)
However, before I had a dedicated Home Theatre room, my wife was shocked when the Plat. 4's were delivered 15 to 17 years or so ago to replace my aging 901's. :shock: ](*,) Once we built a new house with a dedicated room, no problem. She loved the sound back then and still does today. However, their barn door size was the issue. As to what the Plat's are worth or ALS originals, it would take probably 10 times the dollar value assuming they would bring between $600 to $1200 (if you are lucky for a pristine pair) to replace the sound (with the right amp) with another set of speakers. That is why when my Whispers come in, I currently plan on keeping the Plat's for center channel duty. The sound just can't be replaced in today's market for such a misely amount in what they would sell for.

My two cents!
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Wed May 12, 2010 1:05 pm

Wives typically don't like baby grand pianos standing on their ends as speaker cabinets. When you add up what it takes to drive Amazings properly to the cost of the speakers, they probably aren't the bargain that they appear to be. You aren't gonna be running those puppies with no stinkin' single ended triode amp.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed May 12, 2010 2:13 pm

Personally, I find it funny that so many people tend to dump on the Originals, and hold the Platinums to such a high standard. They are VERY similar.
Side by side on the same amp, you might hear a very slight difference in the midbass range.

Originals are going between $500-1000 as where
Platinums are going between $800-1500.

Either way, there is no way to buy anything NEW for $750 that can compete.
It doesn't matter which set you buy, just make sure you are running 500w OR MORE per channel !!!
Dedicated 20amp lines wouldn't hurt either if you want them to sound as good as they can.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Wed May 12, 2010 2:31 pm

I only have a set of the "Silver" edition.

They cost me $350.00 with at least two defoamed woofers.

Then renting a van & driving 350 miles each way to pick them up.

Buying the replacement woofers & installing them.

I guess I'm getting close to $900.00-$1000.00.

Worth every penny.

Once properly set up & enough power they sound better than anything I've experienced.

I originally drove them with a M500t (250 wpc)....good but ran out of steam.

Then aTFM42 (375 wpc)....really good & seemed like enough power (that amp failed & was off to Rolland)

Then A set of 2 M400t's bridged (I know some people don't think much of bridged amps but the Silvers are 8ohm speakers) putting 500 watts WPC. the pair of cubes was excellent, sweet & full.

I now have a Sunfire 5400 using 400 wpc (thats Sunfire wpc which seems to have more power than rated, maybe because of the extra curren capabilities)

Anyway if you can get a pair there is nothing you can buy now to compare even if you spend more.

My. .02.
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Wed May 12, 2010 2:33 pm

It doesn't matter which set you buy, just make sure you are running 500w OR MORE per channel !!!

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ :D :D :D :D :D

going to hook up the pt2400 tonight.......

:D :D

Scotty we need more power.......
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Wed May 12, 2010 2:56 pm

I bought my Plats for $500 with bad surrounds on the woofers. I now have about $2100 in them and that includes new woofers, three spare ribbons (two need Dave's services) and two spare x-overs. I paid $1400 for my Silver 9t's. That makes $3500 for amps and speakers. I challenge anyone to try to assemble a system that sounds as good for that amount. Doubt they could for three times that amount.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

erniejade1

TFM-35

Post Fri May 14, 2010 3:37 pm

treitz3 wrote:Do you think that if one already had adequate power to amplify these bad boys properly that they would be worth more or are they "just" another speaker that folks flip through without ever realizing their true potential?

You know, You might have a point there. Mine did not start singing till I got a sig II. ( mine are the original) If more poeple had the proper to display them, would the price on the original go up? That is a darn good question..

"Legacy Focus, Legacy Whispers " Darn good speakers as well!! LOL Nice choice on them!!

Return to Carver Home (Audio)