FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Well I got the call today.

<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:26 pm

Well I got the call today.

Lynda called me from Ritas to give me the good news, WELL NOT.

They have officially declared my Sunfire Classic Tube Control Centre LOST

I sent it in to them on June 6th, for Bob to do some modification on it. We do have a shipping signature
so they did receive it.

I had already done some mod's by upgrading the caps to Vcaps Reference Grade

Packed in the same box was my extra tubes 2 x Telefunken 12AX7 (worth over $100.00 a piece) 4 x Valvo 6922 ( about $35.00 a piece)
The remote control and 2 parts from my Sunfire Ultimate Receiver II

SHIT HAPPENS

Then Lynda told me the good news.

Bob has a new unit packed away, :) :) :) he will dig it out and test it.
I do not know if it has a remote, will know later.

Looks like I will be out the tube's and Cap upgrade but if I end up with a replacement Sunfire Preamp, I will be happy.
(good job I purchased the Carver C-19 from FrankieD)

Makes me think what other things Bob has hiding away?

Will keep you all informed.

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Well I got the call today.

Sure glad you got good news. Sorry it happened in the first place.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:32 pm

wonder if it got it shipped someone else by mistake......

open up the box to find your C1 has transformed it self......

this sucks....
I bet ALL will be made right....
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:00 pm

#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:49 pm

In a small "boutique" operation like Rita's, I'd have to say that that loss is inexcusable, and it doesn't tend to instill much confidence in me about using the service. Just a good thing it wasn't a tube piece handed down by your Grandfather or something really irreplaceable. [-X
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:01 pm

Those Telefunken's could have been.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:04 pm

gdb wrote:In a small "boutique" operation like Rita's, I'd have to say that that loss is inexcusable, and it doesn't tend to instill much confidence in me about using the service. Just a good thing it wasn't a tube piece handed down by your Grandfather or something really irreplaceable. [-X

Hmmm....sounds vaguely familiar. you are so lucky what they lost this time can be replaced.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:31 pm

gdb wrote:In a small "boutique" operation like Rita's, I'd have to say that that loss is inexcusable, and it doesn't tend to instill much confidence in me about using the service. Just a good thing it wasn't a tube piece handed down by your Grandfather or something really irreplaceable. [-X

From Emails back and forth to Bob. The Preamp made it to his Lab. So I think it's more on Bob's part and not Rita's
So let's not blame anybody, things DO GO WRONG in life, no worry no stress.

Well I still have the picture of it as my avatar. O:)

Brian.
Last edited by BrianT on Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:35 pm

BillD wrote:Those Telefunken's could have been.

Bill.

They where NOS when I got them in Feb. Brand new in the box diamond base I was told they where 1962 vintage.

I will give you one guess where I got them from, that's right Bob himself. He told me they where the last 2 he had.

Brian
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:30 pm

Yeah shit happens. Yesterday a box of parts came into our shop to rebuild a registration unit we have been waiting for. I put the box on the other tech's desk as this was his call and he ordered the parts. Today I asked; Did you get the box of parts I set on your desk (noticing the box was not there)? He said; what box? WTF? He swears he never saw a box on his desk. You start to question yourself, did I actually see these parts and did I actually put that box on his desk > OMG, I must be fricken losing it! I tear the shop apart and guess what! He though the box was "toner" because the parts were shipped in a toner box! and he put it on the shelve along with all the other toners! What's scary, is he still doesn't remember that box on his desk! Your pre-amp will show up down the road, and Rita will think, ummmm, where did this come from? Did you ship it in a toner box? :lol: Glad they are trying to make it right.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:30 am

wtf. you are taking this alot better than i would. i understand that shit happens, and i would think there is some kind of compensation going on for those tubes. but anyway, glad that a replacement will find it's way to you. when i talked to lisa a year ago for a repair on my tfm55 and was told that they would repair it back to spec, i asked if they do a refurb on it. she said no, just what it need to be 100% in spec. well i sat on it for over a year and not only did her price go up, double i belive. when i looked again the other day, it went donw to 270 for repairs. anyway, i also talked to roland that told me for his 299 fee, he not only repair it but do a refurb on the caps and whatever he does in that situation. so i sent it in, he did a lot of work to it as this particular amp had a warranty repair back in 1993, and roland says the job was not so great. he fixed it back to factory spec using the proper parts, not make due shit that was close but not the correct parts done prior when it was in warranty. roland just gave off a more proffesional course of action that seemed to be a bigger value in the bigger picture. and the cherry on the cake, he refinished the cover for me as i had put some heavy scratches on it from removing the rubber feet years ago to get them to sit flush in a custom cabinet i made. i should have it back next week. i really look forward in comparing it with the 55 i have that has been in operation since new.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:57 am

Jag_97470 wrote:Yeah shit happens. Yesterday a box of parts came into our shop to rebuild a registration unit we have been waiting for. I put the box on the other tech's desk as this was his call and he ordered the parts. Today I asked; Did you get the box of parts I set on your desk (noticing the box was not there)? He said; what box? WTF? He swears he never saw a box on his desk. You start to question yourself, did I actually see these parts and did I actually put that box on his desk > OMG, I must be fricken losing it! I tear the shop apart and guess what! He though the box was "toner" because the parts were shipped in a toner box! and he put it on the shelve along with all the other toners! What's scary, is he still doesn't remember that box on his desk! Your pre-amp will show up down the road, and Rita will think, ummmm, where did this come from? Did you ship it in a toner box? :lol: Glad they are trying to make it right.

Jag.

It was shipped in the original Sunfire Box, with Serial # on the box. We all know it's going to show up one day.
It could have been but back in Bob's stash.

Brian
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:10 am

angelod307 wrote:wtf. you are taking this alot better than i would. i understand that shit happens, and i would think there is some kind of compensation going on for those tubes. but anyway, glad that a replacement will find it's way to you. when i talked to lisa a year ago for a repair on my tfm55 and was told that they would repair it back to spec, i asked if they do a refurb on it. she said no, just what it need to be 100% in spec. well i sat on it for over a year and not only did her price go up, double i belive. when i looked again the other day, it went donw to 270 for repairs. anyway, i also talked to roland that told me for his 299 fee, he not only repair it but do a refurb on the caps and whatever he does in that situation. so i sent it in, he did a lot of work to it as this particular amp had a warranty repair back in 1993, and roland says the job was not so great. he fixed it back to factory spec using the proper parts, not make due shit that was close but not the correct parts done prior when it was in warranty. roland just gave off a more proffesional course of action that seemed to be a bigger value in the bigger picture. and the cherry on the cake, he refinished the cover for me as i had put some heavy scratches on it from removing the rubber feet years ago to get them to sit flush in a custom cabinet i made. i should have it back next week. i really look forward in comparing it with the 55 i have that has been in operation since new.

angelo.

What is done, is done you can not change it. Just go ahead and look for solutions. Don't get me wrong I'm not happy.
But I know it will be worked out.
Please remember, all Rita's was doing was accepting he delivery of the package, for Bob to work on in his home lab.

Hope you do get you TFM-55 back next week, looking forward to your comparison report.

Brian.
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:54 pm

you know what, i had a situation a few years back with ups. the owner of the stereo shop i worked for signed in a delivery from rockford fosgate that was many boxes. somehow she did not count them correctly as the local heating and air folks down the street called and told us that the had a package for us that went to them although we singed for it at our location. another time this happened again, but we were not so lucky of finding the amp. point being that even though someone signed for it, it may have never been in rita's posension unless ufcourse they opened the box and did a head count of the contents. it happens all to often when you don't pay real close attension to what you are signing for with the delivery trucks and have many packages coming in. still stinks though.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:29 pm

angelod307 wrote:you know what, i had a situation a few years back with ups. the owner of the stereo shop i worked for signed in a delivery from rockford fosgate that was many boxes. somehow she did not count them correctly as the local heating and air folks down the street called and told us that the had a package for us that went to them although we singed for it at our location. another time this happened again,

angelod and all.

Please remember the Preamp made it to Rita's. It was signed for. A few days later I go an Email from Bob, saying that he had it and it was on his
Lab workbench. (not that he was working on it, just that it was on the bench)
So in my eyes, Rita's did there job, they received the package and passed it on to the final destination.

Brian
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
Next

Return to Carver Home (Audio)