FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:57 pm

RCA signal amplifier

<<

Gene C

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:47 pm

RCA signal amplifier

Any thought on using a signal amplifier over having an interconnect made to run 4 mono block amps and 2 stereo amps from one rca out. My concern is puting a $42.00 part in the mix of a really good system and potenialy very good cables( contemplating buying) that i don't have yet.
Living room...Sunfire TGP-III 11.4 setup 4 Silver Seven t's/Infinity Kappa 9A (main)/ 4 TFM-45's/ CRS3 (main) /Sunfire CRS3C (center)/Pro-Ject RPM 5.1 v2/Jolida JD-9 II /Apple TV/Wadia 171i/SD/A-490T /WA6/Infinity PS-312 sub & Sunfire Signature Sub (rear)/2 Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 watt subs (front)/AV-806X/4 Infinity C255ES bi pole speakers for sur, sur back and side axis/70" Sharp Aquos LC-70LE733U/Oppo BDP-95 Blu-ray/Douglas Interconnects & 9ga speaker cable.

Garage... CT-17/M-0.5t/TFM-15cb/AV-64/AudioSource EQ Eight Series II 4 Infinity micro sl speakers/2 Martin Logan Motion 4/Infinity Entra 12" Sub.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:09 am

Re: RCA signal amplifier

Does your pre not have multiple outputs? Sunfire TG-3 or 4?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:41 am

You have two issues when driving multiple devices. One is loading. The second is sharing grounds.

Loading. In voltage transfer, the rule of thumb to avoid excessive loading and rolling off HF response is a 10:1 ratio. So if the output impedance is 200 ohms, then your max load you want to drive is 2000 ohms. Most devices you can find input impedance listed for, output impedance is sometimes hard to find out. If you are driving tube amps, then you're in luck as they are a very high load and that would help a lot.

Grounding. Ground should not be considered zero. If only it was! Currents flow through the ground side of circuits equal to the driven side. So all the slight impedances of connections and distances back to the common ground point mean there starts to be voltage above absolute zero. With the unfortunate design of unbalanced circuits and interconnects, all of sudden when we make connections we start effecting current flow which now has paths back through other components. Splitters do nothing to imped this and you are sharing current loops in undesirable ways.

A distribution amp helps in this problem giving an op-amp (and level control) to each output. Transformers break grounds and eliminate the ground sharing. But good ones are expensive.

You may get away with several splits as long as the loading doesn't become excessive. Don't do it if the combined load exceeds the 10:1 rule. Listen for high freq roll off and noise problems. You can try it with a batch of the one to two splitters but if it works ok, then replace them with better to avoid all those connections. Certainly make sure all are fed from the same power source! Do not have some getting their power from a different circuit.

Hope that helps some Gene!

Mark
<<

Gene C

Newbie 50+

Post Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:00 pm

Yes that did help. Thank you very much Mark.
Living room...Sunfire TGP-III 11.4 setup 4 Silver Seven t's/Infinity Kappa 9A (main)/ 4 TFM-45's/ CRS3 (main) /Sunfire CRS3C (center)/Pro-Ject RPM 5.1 v2/Jolida JD-9 II /Apple TV/Wadia 171i/SD/A-490T /WA6/Infinity PS-312 sub & Sunfire Signature Sub (rear)/2 Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 watt subs (front)/AV-806X/4 Infinity C255ES bi pole speakers for sur, sur back and side axis/70" Sharp Aquos LC-70LE733U/Oppo BDP-95 Blu-ray/Douglas Interconnects & 9ga speaker cable.

Garage... CT-17/M-0.5t/TFM-15cb/AV-64/AudioSource EQ Eight Series II 4 Infinity micro sl speakers/2 Martin Logan Motion 4/Infinity Entra 12" Sub.

Return to Carver Home (Audio)