FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:58 am

Help with SD/A-350 5-Disc Carousel

<<

xynamax

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:44 am

Help with SD/A-350 5-Disc Carousel

I acquired this unit a couple of months ago -- it's in great physical condition but had one issue... At start up, the carousel would always get stuck, if you gave it a little push it worked fine, but changing discs after that would require the same shove.

I just opened it up and found that the wheels holding the carousel plate down were a bit tight, so I loosened them up to allow it to move more freely. I was also in the process of removing the carousel to see if there was any gunk in the drive mechanism, but it looks clean.

After putting it back together, it won't recognize discs anymore. It properly spins the carousel, but won't acknowledge CD's in any way. It will open/close the tray, but the "Disc Skip" and all disc-selection buttons do nothing...

I checked the sensors and they appear to be getting voltage. Am I missing something? Is there some type of reset sequence on the unit?

-Richie
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:38 am

Re: Help with SD/A-350 5-Disc Carousel

=D> \:D/ =D> Welcome!! \:D/ =D> \:D/ I'm not a tech so I'll let someone else chime in on the CD player, good luck!
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 200x5
Klipsch KP 250 II
Samson SX3200 (750x2 Sub Amp)
(2) 18" Klipsch KP 480 Subs
Klipsch RSW 15
PS Audio DL-III DAC
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:51 pm

The 2 most common reasons for this are a dirty lens or or the ribbon cables aren't pushed in all the way.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:34 pm

most common reasons for this are a dirty lens
Use isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip to clean the lens. Hope you get it up and running.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

xynamax

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:47 pm

The lens on the CD player works fine -- if I prop-up the CD mechanism in the 'play' position and put a CD in it, I can get it to play. The problem is when the unit is cold-started, the carousel just spins around twice. It doesn't detect any CD's on the carousel tray and once it stops, none of the CD-Selection features work (disk1-5 buttons, disk skip).. Normally it would spin & slow down where it is checking the disk number, then speed up again, but it just spins at the same rate of speed without doing anything..

I checked all ribbon connectors, perfectly in place.. how can I test the sensors? I see two sensors, one that looks like it would check the disk number, the other that would detect if a CD is in the particular tray...

-Richie

Return to Carver Home (Audio)