FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:35 am

Investing in fixing The Receiver 2000 (MXR 2000)

<<

Keats

Post Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:04 pm

Investing in fixing The Receiver 2000 (MXR 2000)

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and Carver too. I wouldn't call myself an audiophile, but I am sensitive to harsh sound, and gain no pleasure from thin or flat sound. Trying to find a happy place working with, or adding to, what I already have (within reason). I'd like to have the richest, fullest, most detailed sound even at lower volume. Maybe these goals make me an audiophile want-to-be without deep pockets.

I just moved to a new place, and in the process found a Carver The Receiver 2000 in my old basement that belonged to a roommate who was sound engineer. I was looking for more volume and "umph" from my system while maintaining the clarity and deep silence that I get from my Sonic Impact at lower volumes. I figured the tone controls and power of the Carver might do the trick. I've invested $270 in repairs to get the two channel stereo back to spec, and it sounds great. I haven't decided if it's the right sound and match for me and my kg4 speakers, but it's working. The problem is that its working 80% perfect, but the last 20% is a problem with the Sonic Hologram feature. It may just be the switch, but it doesn't work most of the time, and when it does I don't know if it works properly because I don't know what to expect the Sonic Hologram feature to do to the music. Wondering if I should put more $ into it at this point??? I am curious if I would love the Sonic Hologram feature, as the stand alone units seem to be a popular item with Carver fans.

Any thoughts, suggestions???

Also, since I don't have a manual, I don't know what some of the buttons are suppose to do. Can someone clue me in on these:
Asymmetrical Detector - Engage
Asymmetrical Detector - Noise
Tuner Mute Defeat - is this to defeat the radio signal for both FM and AM? It's only defeating the FM signal currently.

Thanks,
Warren (keats)

My stuff:
Speakers -
Klipsch Kg4 (My main speakers - bought new, and still fall back in love with them at times)
Acoustic Research Rock Partners (adequate bookshelf speakers from college days)

Power -
Sonic Impact T-amp (super clean nice sound at lower volume, and can tame the Klipsch tweeters using a DC power source)
Carver The Receiver 2000 (deciding wether to pursue further repairs?)
H.H. Scott 299-B integrated tube amp (in need of repair)

Source -
Marantz CD player
Apple computers (iMac, MacBook Pro, iPod Touch)

Dac -
Dragonfly usb DAC (paired with computer audio)
Last edited by Keats on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:04 pm

Re: Investing in fixing The Receiver 2000 (MDX 2000)

Hi Keats,
Probably can DL a manual for your receiver here (or elsewhere... google search sites with 'carver' in the name).
The buttons you mentioned are to improve FM sound/reception (eliminate "ghost" signals, etc.).
I'd not worry too much about not having the sonic holography thingy...requires precise speaker placement and is something you can easily live without...IMO).
Welcome aboard....try and stick around....this is the right place to be if you want to "upgrade" your listening experience!
Ed
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

Keats

Post Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:41 pm

Re: Investing in fixing The Receiver 2000 (MDX 2000)

Thanks Ed.

I'll look around and stick around.

Precise speaker placement would be an issue for me because of my apartment, so I guess I won't be using the Sonic Hologram anyway. I wonder if not fixing it means I'd lose my money on resale... ohh well. I did email Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh (thanks Carver forum) to see if that had advice on appraisal and value of fixing.

I'm looking forward to getting the HH Scott 299-B integrated tube amp repaired so I can compare it to the Carver. I wish I had the space and money to play with multiple setups, but for now I'm just trying to find a sound I like and stick with it for a while. I've never really been a critical listener, but now that I'm getting into it (CDs and Mog.com only, no analog sources), I realize that I don't even know what kind of sound I prefer (tube, ss, etc.).

Warren (keats)
<<

WhackJob

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Investing in fixing The Receiver 2000 (MXR 2000)

I have a 2000 owners manual. Give me a couple days to get it scanned to pdf and I'll make it available to you and anyone else who needs it.

& Welcome to the Carver carnival!
<<

Keats

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:17 am

WhackJob wrote:I have a 2000 owners manual. Give me a couple days to get it scanned to pdf and I'll make it available to you and anyone else who needs it.

& Welcome to the Carver carnival!

Awesome.
Thanks!
<<

Keats

Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:56 am

I have to say,now that I've been listening to the 2000 for a few days, it's really sounding beautiful. I'm guessing all the new parts needed a burn in. Miles Davis' Kind of Blue has a presence that I haven't experienced before. As each instrument introduces itself into a piece of music, it arrives with a grabbing of your attention that I haven't noticed in the past; not just showing up, but entering like a stunningly beautiful women entering a room. =D>

Keats
<<

Keats

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:06 am

Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh's opinion is that it's worth getting the Sonic Hologram fixed. They would value The Receiver 2000 at $350 in fair cosmetic condition and $500 in good condition if sound is up to par. The 2000 cost me nothing and I've got $270 in for repairs. I'm ahead of the game and I'll get an estimate for the Sonic Hologram fix.

Return to Carver Home (Audio)