FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:59 pm

TFM-42/45 Mono Mode: WTF?

<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:03 pm

TFM-42/45 Mono Mode: WTF?

So....finally got around to trying these amps in mono mode on my 8 ohm speakers. Looked in the Owner's Manual and (I assume I'm not the 1st to notice this?): the TEXT says to connect the (+) speaker wire to the red RIGHT speaker binding post and the (-) speaker wire to the red LEFT speaker binding post. However, the diagram on the very next page has these wires shown hooked up exactly opposite to this: red left channel to speaker (+) terminal and red right channel to speaker (-) terminal! So which is it? With all the warnings, I don't want to chance hooking these up backwards, even though I doubt it would do any damage to the amp...
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:28 pm

Re: TFM-42/45 Mono Mode: WTF?

Since no one seems to know, I guess I'll try how the text says and assume that the diagram is wrong....even tho I did do a search here and it said that for the TFM-55, that you wire them the way that the diagram shows...
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:18 pm

Ed, I don't know but I'd go with the diagram first.

Yiu know what they say....One picture is worth a thousand words.

Just sayin'.
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:24 pm

Ed, I just reread your first post. Basically both the text & the diagram show using both red (+) terminal to bridge the amp.

It doesn't matter which speaker lead ( + or -) goes on which amp post as long as both speakers are wired the same.
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:30 pm

"It doesn't matter which speaker lead ( + or -) goes on which amp post as long as both speakers are wired the same."

Yes, that's basically how I feel about it. However, if it does not matter, why would they not just say that (instead of clearly stating to connect the (+) speaker wire to the red RIGHT speaker binding post and the (-) speaker wire to the red LEFT speaker binding post). I did this (+ to red right terminal and - to red left terminal) even though the diagram has it shown the opposite way (I disagree with your logic: easier to draw it wrong then state it wrong...and if stated wrong (and harmful) someone would have corrected this error a long time ago...).

Anyway, the sound is not demonstrably any better (so far) than with just the single TFM-42 (or 45) amp and probably not as good as with the m1.0t mkII opt2...but I will listen for a while before finalizing but pretty sure I won't leave it in this mono bridged mode...basically don't need the extra power/loudness and the sound is not "wow! that's so much better"...Thanks, Frankie! - Ed
<<

fill35U

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:04 pm

There was also a revision for the TFM-42/45 owner's manual, showing how to correctly make the both input and output connections for bridged mono. (push in "mono" switch, send the same signal to both inputs, speaker load between red output terminals).

From the schematic, in bridged mono, right red output should be speaker +, left red output terminal should be speaker -.
Current setup: Random Naked Amps Piled on Floor and/or Wedged Into Shelves

Don't call amp mutilators "butchers"- butchers are highly skilled professionals.

Return to Carver Home (Audio)