FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:10 pm

Carver Fest amp help

<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:11 pm

Carver Fest amp help

Does anyone have a copy of the schematic for the Carver Fest amp? Mine has taken a crap on the right channel and I will need to get some help. BTW, for those with the skill I have no problem paying you for help.
Ray
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:58 pm

Re: Carver Fest amp help

Hey Ray,

Don't need no stickin' schematic! Well, actually it is posted around here. But you've got a couple dozen folks around here that know that circuit pretty well and can help. So what's up?

Most likely failure is tubes. That's the purty thing about tube amps. When they go, they are easy to change. You may be past that but just kind of lay out what you've done from for tubes if that's likely. Or if something else has happened, what that might be. What'd you see or hear?

Don't remember who is closest to your area or if it's more of shipping situation. But with all the group knowledge, I wouldn't write off some pretty good help from afar! And we are all happy to help!

Mark
<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:34 pm

It's actually been pretty boring here in Michigan since the fest, and boy is it cold here. Here's what happened....the first sign of trouble was when powering up and waiting for everything to warm up the right channel would not be as loud as the left. Then when turning up the volume the right side would come to life. After a few minuets the right channel would quite down again and by turning up the volume it would come back. My first thought was a bad tube, but I have plenty of new spares and after replacing all, the same problem still lingered. I then switched all back to the original. This time when I turned the amp on only one of the el84s was powered. That was an easy fix thanks to Alex, just had to re-solder a bad connection due to changing tubes. Now after doing that the right channel has no output except static. I have tried two different pre's and still nothing from the right side. One more thing this amp was changed to accept 12ax7's and not the original 6dj8. Any help would be great.
Ray
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:10 pm

Ray, that really sounds like a bad solder joint. Sounds like you've had one already and sounds like you still have another. That's what the audio coming up and down in level would sound like to me.

Another tricky thing to solder too was the output binding posts, you might eyeball those.

Please address if you can see in a darkened room the filaments lighting up on all the tubes especially those on the side your not getting audio from.

The posts that we soldered to, tag strips they are known as, that came with the amps were terribly oxidized and took real high and concentrated heat to get good connections with. Don't know if that's possibly related but it comes to mind with this.

Your mention of one side not powering after changing tubes worries me as either a getting more of a problem or an unrelated second issue. Second issues as simple as getting out a bad tube can really confound troubleshooting. Especially remotely like this. So we have to be careful to recognize it may or may not be related.

I don't know if you're comfortable with jumping in with an iron or not. And I don't know if your equipped and comfortable with a voltmeter. You really shouldn't get in an amp if not. So approach to fixing should be based in part on those issues.

Likely all easy to fix up, so don't be too worried about it all.

Mark
<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:03 am

Figure it out yet Ray?
Carver M-4.0t & Rollandized tfm42, ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A & JBL L96,s Modified JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carverfest vacuum tube amp & CF Linestage, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Carver AL3 amazing speakers in natural oak & Douglas connection cables
<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:41 am

Not even close at this point, been looking on the site for a schematic and still can't find it.
Ray
<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:50 am

I would look at all the solder joints, good chance that's what it may be!!
Carver M-4.0t & Rollandized tfm42, ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A & JBL L96,s Modified JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carverfest vacuum tube amp & CF Linestage, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Carver AL3 amazing speakers in natural oak & Douglas connection cables
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:00 am

wrstps wrote:Not even close at this point, been looking on the site for a schematic and still can't find it.
Ray

I can't find mine--I'll keep looking--try pm'ing engtaz or Alex
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:09 am

viewtopic.php?f=157&t=15067

Schematics & pictograms are in this thread.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:30 pm

Thanks for the link
Ray
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:40 pm

frenchguy wrote:I would look at all the solder joints, good chance that's what it may be!!

that was the first thing i did when my amps started to act up. be sure to discharge your power supply caps.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:23 pm

We'll I finally got around to working on the fest amp and lo and behold there was a bad solder joint were the power supply winding was soldered. All is good right now except I did not discharge the caps and still looking for my left gonad that flew under the table somewhere. Next up, build a pre amp to match the amplifier.
Thanks for all the help
Ray in Michigan.
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:57 pm

wrstps wrote: All is good right now except I did not discharge the caps and still looking for my left gonad that flew under the table somewhere.
Thanks for all the help
Ray in Michigan.

Ray,

Believe I saw a buzzard chasing it down the street here in Florida! :lol: :lol:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:02 pm

Glad you found it ray, thought that may of been the problem, if you find your gonad, look for the other rays too, he got nailed on those caps also!! :lol:
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:18 pm

frenchguy wrote:Glad you found it ray, thought that may of been the problem, if you find your gonad, look for the other rays too, he got nailed on those caps also!! :lol:

I didn't get hit so hard I lost a body part. Thanks for thinking of me Al:-)

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
Next

Return to Carver Home (Audio)