FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:58 am

A Hobbyist's View

<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:36 pm

A Hobbyist's View

When I was in high school I used to build speakers for myself and some of my friends. Before I became gamefully employed I would go from place to place and beg, borrow or plead for parts. I got them from hi-fi repair shops, scrap yards searching thru old TVs and radios folks left out at the curb. I built some stuff that's still in use today. It was all kinda crappy but I had fun doing it and my friends and family were really impressed. When I found a job I could afford the 'good stuff'. I would walk home from school and peruse the Lafayette Electronics store and once in a while get one of their catalogs and look thru the amplifier and speaker ads. I built bigger and what seemed like better speakers and the execution of my ideas got better. I built speakers for myself when I was in the service and really enjoyed the whole process.

As I've read the threads on our forum and other forums I've found several schools of thought on the pursuit of High-Fidelity. Advances in radio and Hi-fi were in the early days pushed by hobbyists. Guys and probably gals in their garages and basements building the new great thing. There were alot of next great things early on. AM. FM. HiFi Stereo. Color TV. Most of which came from the minds of folks working on their own projects, on their own time trying to solve some problem.

Lately I've had a great time modding my little CarverFest amps. I've found the improvements to have been dramatic. Sherry asked me to let you know she can hear things now she didn't hear before I made the modifications.
I have 2 other projects I plan to start and working on the amp mods has helped me work out some kinks I thought I was going to have on these projects. The beauty of projects like the CF amp is there is room for interpretation. The interpretation in a tube project come from selection of parts and circuit topologies. We can make the piece perform like anything we can visualize in our heads. There is no limit to experimentation.

I remember reading in some hifi rag thirty years(or more) ago that with the coming of CD the 'fiddle factor' in stereo was going by the wayside. You'd just put a CD in the player and let it play. No more fun playing with stuff.
That's what I like about what I do here at home and what we do at CarverFest. We get to play with our stuff and get other like-minded souls to do the same thing.

When I lived in Arizona I had a 1968 427 Corvette convertible and a 1973 455cuin Pontiac Trans Am. Weekend evenings I'd take out one of the cars and go cruising in Mesa and Phoenix. I'd return to the base through Chandler and hang with some of the Low-Riders in downtown. I didn't care for the style of the cars but I did appreciate all of the hard work and dedication these guys put into their cars. They were true artists. They'd look my work over, we'd talk engines, suspensions paint and stereo. Everyone appreciating each others work. I learned about sweating the details from these guys. George says it's the tone man...these guys said it's the details man:-)

I think High-fi in general is alot like that. I come to the Fest to learn something new...if I'm lucky..and awake.

I was having a discussion with James one afternoon at CarverFest. He had mentioned his ideas for the design of a new amplfier and how HE wanted it to look. It took me a while but I finally realized it. This tube stuff is just putty in our hands, we mold it, style it or form it into anything we want. I can take my idea for my simple pre and add anything I want and make it look like anything I want. I have NO LIMITS!!! Model T or the Enterprise. Something in between.

Fiddle Factor!!!

.... This is waay cool shit, I like playing with the tube stuff!!!!

ray

my .02 cents
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:48 pm

Re: A Hobbyist's View

Great read Ray, enjoyed reading it!! =D> I want to hear your CF amp @ next fest! 8)
Carver M-4.0t & Rollandized tfm42, ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A & JBL L96,s Modified JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carverfest vacuum tube amp & CF Linestage, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Carver AL3 Amazing speakers in natural oak, Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Douglas connection cables
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: A Hobbyist's View

Well said man... I love playing with tubes too.

I am currently laying out my next effort, which will make my first endeavor look like it was done by a third grader. \:D/
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]

Return to Carver Home (Audio)