FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:22 pm

Carver CT-7 vs CT-17 vs CT-23 pre-amp

<<

Micheal_Eh

Post Thu May 15, 2014 9:05 pm

Carver CT-7 vs CT-17 vs CT-23 pre-amp

Hi there,

I'm absolutely new to this and was wondering if some of you Carver experts could steer me in the right direction for the best Carver pre-amp. Currently, I'm running a TFM-45 amp, a CT-23 pre-amp and a set of Silver Edition Amazing speakers. I'm wondering if I may have jumped the gun on the CT-23 if there is a better Carver pre-amp out there.

Thanks!
<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Fri May 16, 2014 5:35 am

Re: Carver CT-7 vs CT-17 vs CT-23 pre-amp

I would look into a C-1 or c-11 and if possible a C-19 for a two channel set up.
Ray
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri May 16, 2014 6:09 am

What he said ^^^.....
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Fri May 16, 2014 9:19 am

Welcome to the forum. Out of the 3 preamps you listed my personal choice would be the CT-7.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri May 16, 2014 5:07 pm

Welcome to our forum. There's a lot nice stuff out there. I'd follow Harry's lead. He probably owns all of it.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Micheal_Eh

Post Sat May 17, 2014 2:35 pm

Thank you for your replies, gentlemen. I will keep my eyes open. I prefer a black face-plate (only because everything else in my system is) and am leaning towards the C-19 after reading up on it. They seem to be the most rare and the most expensive, but I have the time to find a good one and make my decision.

Mike
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat May 17, 2014 9:22 pm

Out of the three pre's you listed I really don't think there's any huge difference in sound quality as they're all pretty close. I prefer the CT-7 as it has a separate midrange tone control and the Sonic Holography seems to work a little better than on the others. The C-19 though is definitely the Carver pre to own and matches up very well with the TFM-45. The Silver's are excellent speakers and will put out a ton more bass if you match it with the ESU module but those can be tough to find. Congrats on the new system! =D>
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue May 20, 2014 7:29 pm

I meant the Carver ECU box here:
Attachments
00Z0Z_5TljhmU5XFX_600x450.jpg
00Z0Z_5TljhmU5XFX_600x450.jpg (13.76 KiB) Viewed 551 times
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Wed May 21, 2014 11:01 pm

As far as I know, when you get away from the CT series of "pre-ceivers" , you also have to say goodbye to remote controls. I really wish my C-11 had a remote control ! :(
<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Thu May 22, 2014 8:06 am

Another one I really like is the C-5. They are pretty basic but they come with a remote, phono stage and you can drive 2 different amps with them.
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN 2.1 DAC, DUAL CS 5000 TT, Oppo DV-981HD, Lowther PM4a/Azurahorn/SentryIV

2 channel - AN L3 Signature Line stage, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Altec A5's

2 channel - Carver VTA20 Baby Black Beauty, Custom Line Stage, Klipschorns

2 channel - AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, Carver C-5 Pre, Altec A4 speakers

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Altec 288 Horns/JBL Bass bin
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu May 22, 2014 5:34 pm

Hahahahaha.......use anything from the early carver years or the later sunfire stuff. I personally think most of the tgp4 is the best av I have ever heard.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu May 22, 2014 5:35 pm

Oh yeah, where Is my copy of a copy of the owners manual? Still waiting you jerk.
<<

Micheal_Eh

Post Fri May 23, 2014 4:27 pm

angelod307 wrote:Oh yeah, where Is my copy of a copy of the owners manual? Still waiting you jerk.

Oh, this is priceless. This guy above advertised on eBay an owners manual for the Carver CT-23 pre-amp, which I recently bought. Stupidly, I went for it. Then I get an email saying he's doing construction on his home, can't find it and can only sell me a copy. Classic bait and switch. I wanted exactly what was in the photo of his ad. What I got was a crappy photocopy of a photocopy that any idiot could have downloaded for free and made. After excalating it to eBay Dispute Resolution they found in my favour and and refunded every single cent this person withheld "for postage". If you want your shitty copy, Angelo307, it went in the recycling. And now I find you here. I read about some guy selling photocopies of Carver manuals on another Carver site and to beware of him. Must be you, huh?
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri May 23, 2014 5:55 pm

Now that you are here. Here is the deal. I resisted bashing you but you make it so easy now. How old are you twenty five , thirty five?never the less you act like a spoiled kid.
So, the last tfm42/45 manual I had sold, so then relisted using the same photo but then changed the description to reflect that the manual was a scanned and printed copy. That was a mistake on my part in that not only did you think that the original was for sale, but so did I, as I did not read the description first to see what I listed. It takes about a hour for me to scan a manual, then about twenty minutes to print it. With the cost of printer ink, I thought I would print them as they sold. But I quickly reliezed the short coming of not having the actual manual or whatever I was selling photo. I made a mistake, by mistake and said let's see what happens as the other folks that have bought scanned copies were ok with it, but they never saw a photo of the scanned manual first as they asked after the fact. Anyway, I spent thirty or so at Walmart to get the ink, spent a few dollars shipping and a good bit of time only to have you insult my effort . I'm a real easy going guy until, until stupid shows up and rears its head. I had no intention of bait and switch, nor do I look to get over on anyone. Had your reply been a little kinder, less insulting, my reply would have been how about covering the postage then. But fuck me, ebay even gave you that. So .......jerk off, be a little kinder to strangers and you will go along much further in life . You will find that I am the guy that does not take advantage of folks, and it usually happens that I get the short end of the stick, as I did with you. What a fucking fuck that you are to have pissed off a really easy life that I lead. So there it is. Chew on it , spit it out, I do not care anymore. I let you get under my skin far too easy ..... And over what? 22.95 at first, then I even refund another 6 for the confusion and was prepared to do what i did, simply ask for postage. But since you got it all back, then it's not right for you to still have the manual if you do.
Last edited by angelod307 on Sat May 24, 2014 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri May 23, 2014 5:56 pm

Micheal_Eh wrote:
angelod307 wrote:Oh yeah, where Is my copy of a copy of the owners manual? Still waiting you jerk.

Oh, this is priceless. This guy above advertised on eBay an owners manual for the Carver CT-23 pre-amp, which I recently bought. Stupidly, I went for it. Then I get an email saying he's doing construction on his home, can't find it and can only sell me a copy. Classic bait and switch. I wanted exactly what was in the photo of his ad. What I got was a crappy photocopy of a photocopy that any idiot could have downloaded for free and made. After excalating it to eBay Dispute Resolution they found in my favour and and refunded every single cent this person withheld "for postage". If you want your shitty copy, Angelo307, it went in the recycling. And now I find you here. I read about some guy selling photocopies of Carver manuals on another Carver site and to beware of him. Must be you, huh?

Ps, ebay did not find shit in your favor, I simply did what I would do any way.because I gave you a refund less postage, they gave you the rest because the amount was tiny and you would shut up and have nothing to complain about. So no, ebay did not rule in your favor dumb ass. You see, I can be a asshole to and ruin your day as well.

P.s.s. It was a tfm42/45 amplifier manual, not a ct23, your memory is as good as your manners.
Next

Return to Carver Home (Audio)