TFM-45

Carver Home Audio (Stereo) Discussions and Questions
John0551

TFM-45

Post by John0551 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:26 pm

My TFM-45 has a noisy transformer, . Loud 60 cylce hum from the amp itself, not through the speakers. As the caps charge up the noise dimishes quite a bit, but it is still there. Is this familiar to anyone, and does it mean I have a problem? The amp seems to work fine, but when I had Infinity Preludes connected to the amp, it killed the infinity sub amp in the right channel. Then while one sub was being repaired, I had the other sub hooked to the right channel, and it quit also. Now I am afraid to connect the amp to the new (replaced under warranty) subs.
Is this familiar to anyone?
Keep on Listening!

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:02 pm

Time for a trip to the repair shop or to buy a new amp.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Make America Great Again

elgrau
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by elgrau » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:24 pm

uh, perhaps I'm not understanding what you are doing, but it would seem to me that the input to your sub should come from your preamp, not the high voltage/current output from your amp....
FR: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
LR: AudioEngine wireless link from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 6.5" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-634x 3-4 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: 300 disk changer to Entech 202.5 DAC to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.

mikekohut
TFM-45

Post by mikekohut » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:10 pm

What is a "60 cylce hum" and how do you label hum in such a way? And, might the hum and the fact that the right output blows speakers be a coinky dink?
"Watch those meters dance...."

John0551

TFM-45 Transformer hum.

Post by John0551 » Wed May 23, 2007 11:48 am

Since the noise is coming from the power transformer, and it is the plates in the transformer that are buzzing, I make the assumption that the humm is 60 cycle. If I lived in Europe, I would have assumed it to be 50 cycle. Anyway I have done some more research, and apparently when the transformer starts making this kind of noise, the only option is to replace it. So now I am looking for a replacement transformer for a
tfm-45. Any Ideas?
Keep on Listening!

avguytx
TFM-6cb

Post by avguytx » Fri May 25, 2007 8:48 am

I would get in touch with one of the Carver techs like Rita at Sunfire or the other one that I just went blank on! Sheesh...one of those days.

It could be more involved than just a transformer and having someone look at it could save a second trip getting outputs replaced. Just my $.02.

Bill
SILVER-7t

Post by Bill » Fri May 25, 2007 8:53 am

The other one is Rolland. He should be able to give some ideas if you are against sending it in....
You can't fix stupid.
George wrote:In certain configurations you need a permission slip from your Mom to bridge amps.

mikekohut
TFM-45

Post by mikekohut » Fri May 25, 2007 10:39 am

Does it sound like when you power up a model train set? This "cycle hum?"

avguytx
TFM-6cb

Post by avguytx » Fri May 25, 2007 11:01 am

My M-1.0t makes a slight buzzing sound after it's turned on but it's not very audible unless you're really close to it. It did this before and after it was sent to Rita for repair/upgrades. It doesn't bother me, though.

mikekohut
TFM-45

Post by mikekohut » Fri May 25, 2007 11:23 am

avguytx, I'm thinking every single carver amp I've ever owned powers up this way - just the transformer doing its thing. You're talking power up noise, yes? Nothing constant?

Bill
SILVER-7t

Post by Bill » Fri May 25, 2007 11:29 am

mikekohut wrote:avguytx, I'm thinking every single carver amp I've ever owned powers up this way - just the transformer doing its thing. You're talking power up noise, yes? Nothing constant?
One of my Cubes has a slight constant hum if you get up close to it, but it doesn't bother me and it works great, so I live with it. I figured this was normal anyway.
You can't fix stupid.
George wrote:In certain configurations you need a permission slip from your Mom to bridge amps.

avguytx
TFM-6cb

Post by avguytx » Fri May 25, 2007 11:31 am

It's a tad louder when it's first powered up...maybe one second if that. But once powered, it still has a very slight noise. I just think it's common to power transformers working. It's most likely just resonating because of the contact to its mounting plane.

Now I just have to get the 2nd M-1.0t repaired that I have (the one Fedex lost and found) and find something to use it for! Seems like most in here aren't too keen on the bridging of amplifiers for full range applications. I can always use it for something else. Too bad my Polk SDA 1C's aren't bi-ampable!

Bill
SILVER-7t

Post by Bill » Fri May 25, 2007 11:33 am

avguytx wrote:It's a tad louder when it's first powered up...maybe one second if that. But once powered, it still has a very slight noise. I just think it's common to power transformers working. It's most likely just resonating because of the contact to its mounting plane.
That sounds about right, My M200t did that before it really crapped the bed.
You can't fix stupid.

John0551

Post by John0551 » Thu May 31, 2007 10:00 am

I have come to the same conclusions, re the noise. It is definately louder when powering up, but it is always there, although you only hear it between songs. The only other symptom I hear is the thump about 2 seconds after I shut it off, this noise coming from the speakers. Both my Phase Linear 400 amps make the same noise, seems to be a Bob Carver trademark.
I am looking for a replacement transformer, (or a dead TFM45) if anybody has one to sell.
Keep on Listening!

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Thu May 31, 2007 6:04 pm

Both of my TFM-55s buzz when they're turned on. Sorta like this .....hit switch...little buzz(for maybe 1/2 second)while lights in room dim(no shit)...and click, we're ready for business. Takes all of 3/4 of a second total. They've aways been like that, but I've never heard a sound through the speakers(they're dead quiet), these sounds are from the amplifiers themselves. Maybe it's a trait of the Magnetic Field Power amplifiers?
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Return to “Carver Home (Audio)”