Which amp do you like best?

Carver Home Audio (Stereo) Discussions and Questions
Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Mon May 28, 2007 10:07 pm

Mr. 500t wrote
My owners manual states otherwise and I did here the difference.
Really....AFAIK they hadn't been able to get it to work. Does the circuit use a 1 ohm resistor accross the output. I just wonder how Bob did it. Thanks for the reply.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Mr. M-500t
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by Mr. M-500t » Mon May 28, 2007 10:19 pm

I have no idea !
I'm no electronics engineer. I know my ears don't lie to me.
The tube side really did tame down the TFM-45. So much so that I like it now.
Not as much as my babies though. \:D/

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Tue May 29, 2007 12:50 pm

Damn, that sorta ticks me off #-o When I was building my system(2 years in the making) I was under the impression the C-19 had those qualities, which prompted my purchase. Later I read it never happened. My C-19 has tubes in several stages(tone, phono and output, IIRC) but just had main 1&2 output, not the tube/transistor characteristics yours has. I'm seriously jealous dude.

Damn, anyone close to Bucyrus, Ohio with a C-16. I'd like to hear the C-16 up close and personal.

BTW, have you seen the prices of the C-19s on e-prey lately? One is over $1k. What'll this stuff be worth in a year? I might sell and retire.
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Tue May 29, 2007 1:22 pm

Now that I've had the time to give some serious listening time to both the M500t and the TFM-55s I have a couple of observations I'd like to share.

The M500t is one hell of an amp, which probably explains why Bob built it for almost a decade. It is sonically neutral, with a broad, deep and defined soundstage. Bass has serrious SLAM, the mids are silky(especially strings and the female voice) and the highs are crystal clear without the grunge I hear on alot of systems. My Carver Silver ALSs are power hogs but this amp will take them as loud as I want to hear it in my 18X24X7.5 livingroom.

The TFM-55s have all of the same characterisics of the M500t except they are just a tad brighter in the upper midrange. Now this might be a residual of the HUGE dynamic range they provide my Silvers in the bridged mode. I was watching Will Smith in 'Enemy of the State' Friday night. One scene there was a break in and glass getting broken that sounded so real our dog Maggie(a Beagle and Jack Russell mix) went nuts trying to find it.

I'm finding that SERIOUS power(massive headroom) is something I don't want to live without. It brings a level of reality to the presentation be it music or HT that is missing in most cases.

My Conclusion:

If you can, get thee an M500t, it's a very musical amp. It does nothing wrong and everything right. Like the street there's no substitute for power. My pair of bridged TFM-55s have it in spades. Running the ALS Silvers with these has to be heard to be believed, the dynamics, bass slam, velvety mids and shimmering highs make the experience something I plan to treasure for a long time.

My system was sitting unused for years. I'd look at it, and maybe put on the headphones and listen to a CD or an LP once or twice a year because I couldn't find anyone to repair the amplifiers or my ribbon. Now I have a new ribbon(thanks Dave S.) and the TFM-55s are back in the fold(Rita and Mylinda did wonders) and would like to extend my humble thanks to the Bob Carver fans here for making it possible.

Thanks for getting me back in the mix guys......I'm diggin' it! \:D/

ray
Magnaryder

Mr. M-500t

Post by Mr. M-500t » Tue May 29, 2007 7:43 pm

I couldn't have said it better myself. \:D/

Mr. M-500t

Post by Mr. M-500t » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:08 pm

Some of you wanted more pictures. Welcome to the Mess.

The new layout,

M-500t resides on the floor,

Yes, I know TNRabbit, I'll take care of the wires ! ](*,)

AVRisers have many uses.

O:) I really need a bigger pad.................. #-o

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:24 pm

Damn, how many set of speakers are there in that room? Do you have the HT and Stereo running from separate rigs? Im-freekin'-pressive =D>
Magnaryder

Mr. M-500t

Post by Mr. M-500t » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:27 pm

The 5.1 surround is ran off the HK AVR-7000

Pretty messy huh ! #-o

avguytx
TFM-6cb

Post by avguytx » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:49 pm

I like the layout of the equipment on something like that with the risers between everything. If I didn't have to keep all of mine in a rack (because of space), I'd want that look. I also like that Carver sign in the background. I've been looking at ordering one of those online. Is that where you got yours?

Very nice set up!

Mr. M-500t

Post by Mr. M-500t » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:55 pm

Theres a guy from Canada that sells them in the Carver section on eBay every now and then.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CARVER-Home-Theater ... dZViewItem

avguytx
TFM-6cb

Post by avguytx » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:04 pm

Yep. That's the exact one I was thinking of. So did you get the "A" stock or the one he sells as slight imperfections?

Mr. M-500t

Post by Mr. M-500t » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:05 pm

A Man !

stereo_dog
TFM-55

Post by stereo_dog » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:18 am

=D> Nice set-up Mr. M-500t! I also like the risers under everything (even speakers). I keep my equipment in a media console, so space is tight. I bought some of the audio signs, very well made. My wife made me hang them in my garage, though. I see you haven't retired the VCR yet, mine is gone since I went with HD DVD (I'm now spoiled by the video resolution). Keep up the good work.

Mr. M-500t

Post by Mr. M-500t » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:41 am

Thanks stereo_dog,
It's hard not to have a VCR when we have so many children's Disney movies on tape. I would imagine in a few more years they'll be gone here to.

My wife hasn't won that battle yet ! [-o< [-o< [-o< although she is getting tired of the clutter. Someday I'll have a real house again and my own padded cell with a lock on it for my listening enjoyment. =P~ =P~ =P~
That's why you don't see two of my M-500t's in the mix anymore. I'm saving them for that day when I do have my own music room and I can get me a nice set of AL-III's or Platinums. \:D/
Then I can really do some AB listening test.

stereo_dog
TFM-55

Post by stereo_dog » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:43 am

My kids have outgrown the Disney stuff, nothing but action and gore for them now. I've managed to invade almost every room with different stereo equip. and set-ups. I have even gotten my 14 year old hooked on good equip., but he hasn't earned the right to use the Carver amps.
Someday I'm going to have enough time to set-up an A/B test between my M500's and a B & K amp that used to be in my main system. When that happens, I'll let the forum know how the test came out (I suspect the Carver will win out).

Return to “Carver Home (Audio)”