It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:04 am

Trinaural Sound Demo

<<

Robert R

TFM-35

Post Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:53 pm

Trinaural Sound Demo

To CarverFest Attendees:

In an earlier post about differences in sound in various ALS models, I mentioned in passing that I am now listening to trinaural sound, and recommend that if anybody wants to give it a listen, I could bring the necessary stuff to the CarverFest. The response has been underwhelming, to say the least, but perhaps nobody noticed the offer, as it was buried in other matters under discussion. Anyhow, here are two links that would bear a quick look for anybody interested in hearing music without the hole-in-the-middle effect that everybody has been accustomed to for fifty years:

The manufacturer’s website, naturally somewhat argumentative: [url]http://url]www.ampzilla2000.com/trinaural.html[/url]

For a supposedly unbiased review: http://www.ampzilla2000.com/sensiblesoundreview.html

If interest develops, will still be glad to bring and set up the processor. I can bring everything that’s required (3-channel amp, regular preamp and player, wires, etc.) except speakers. No way my little car can hold speakers, but Dave S. tells me that, in 2007, speakers were rampant. We’d need to have a room, not too small, with a stereo pair PLUS a third identical type for the center. That (and my little tape measure) would do it.

I have two other places to travel to before the 10th, and so I’m leaving Wednesday AM the 3rd. Let me know before then if you’re interested in such a demo and I’ll bring the stuff for it.

Robert R
"You know what folks? I'm happy."
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:10 pm

Re: Trinaural Sound Demo

If I were going I'd LOVE to give it a listen; bring it along whether you get responses or not; I'm sure once you're there people would be more than willing to help you set up the speakers; you might get a few converts ;)
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:43 pm

Robert, I apologize for not noticing any post regarding this before. It sounds like it did get lost in the depths of the forum. It would be great if we could make this happen! PM me your phone # and I will talk to you ASAP. If that doesn't pan out, get in touch with DaveS or Toymaker and let's see if we can't make it happen.

BTW, we don't have you on the attendees list. Are you planning on coming?

Thank you BTW for bringing this back to our attention!

TREX.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:59 pm

Anyhow, here are two links that would bear a quick look for anybody interested in hearing music without the hole-in-the-middle effect that everybody has been accustomed to for fifty years:

I've been running Polk SDA's for the last 20 years, no hole in the middle here. Still, it would be interesting to hear your trinaural set up.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:38 pm

I mentioned that to him. It should be interesting......... :-k
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:14 pm

What happened, was there a trinaural setup? Opinions?
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:42 pm

Oh dear. I was disappointed in the least.

Please, please take no offense Robert. Just wasn't my cup of tea. Unnatural in a way.

<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:13 pm

So Robert, do you think it was a setup issue or an acclimation issue or .........?
<<

Robert R

TFM-35

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:39 pm

Bit of both , I'd say, though a number of guys said they liked it a lot. (At least one is saving up for one). I was still tweaking things up when the gang arrived; had no time to mess with speaker placement, for example. Had to use borrowed speakers and I never did get the sub properly integrated - not my forte, anyway - I have no subs, don't like 'em, don't need 'em. Biggest problem was probably speaker incompatibility - it seems the Linns are not at all happy out in the middle of a room. When the owners (dyeraudio and rainman) returned, the couldn't wait to get their stuff out of there and properly set up, and it did sound a lot more convincing along the walls, even in two channel.

As to acclimation, the inventor, Jim Bongiorno (the same guy Bob was talking about at the Friday Q&A, who used half a mile of speaker cable behind the sofa to improve his sound), states that it takes a week or more to learn hear the effect to full advantage. People tend to hear excessive brightness and excessive center at first, he says. Not everyone reacts this way; there seems to be a lot of individual variation. I liked it right off my first time, but it did seem somewhat center dominant when balanced according to instructions.

The spatial cues are a learned thing, apparently; now it seems very broad and deep to me, with most of the performers well centered, their positions very definite and unwavering, and very clear sound from those instruments and vocalists. And two channel sounds to me now like it doesn't know what it's doing half the time, especially with a piano or singer in the middle.

The demo didn't allow much time for anybody to really listen, especially to recordings they knew intimately. There's only room for one or two in the sweet spot. Better if they came in ones and twos. Then too, we kept messing with Holography and the subs. Never sounded right to me either.

If I get there again, I'd want to set up with my own speakers (two pairs of Silvers), and keep it available for more extensive listening for all interested. Which brings me to another subject. Who is the person to contact regarding the next Fest? I've been trying to call Treitz3, but must have the wrong number - just get a machine that doesn't say who it is, but leave a message. Left several, but no return calls, so it must be a wrong number, or else he really hated the demo. Any suggestions?

RobertR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:21 pm

-robertr; i think trex s phoney got effed-up at cf08

-i saw your post stating marchand iz in your neck of the woods

-they ve got a tubed x-over too, the last time i checked

-supposed to be a very decent co.
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...