FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:14 am

Adding a C-1 with a A/V receiver and Amp

<<

specd_out

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:42 pm

Adding a C-1 with a A/V receiver and Amp

Hey Guys, I just got my first Carver setup last night, and I love it. More on that in another thread. Right now I need help connecting my system together. I searched this forum for a few hours and either didnt find what I was looking for or didnt quite understand what I was reading. I am still new to this kind of equipment.

Here is what I have:

Pioneer Elite Vsx-32
Carver C-1
Carver M1.0t
Panasonic bdt210 (used as a cd player)

Here is what I am trying to do.

I want to use the c-1 as a inbetween for the pioneer and the m1.0t.

I want the elite to decode Bluray audio, receive all component connections, Control volume.

I do not want to use any other processing or equalizing to be done by the Pioneer

I want to C-1 to be used to equalize the sound and be able to use the sonic holography for when I want to enjoy two channel.

The sound of the C-1 is far superior then the elite so I prefer to use that.

Is what I want even possible, it seems like it should be but I would rather defer to the experienced. I have read something about using tape out on the Pioneer. I do have that option on the back but I do not understand how it works or if it will do what I am looking for.

Thanks for any help
Last edited by specd_out on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:44 pm

Re: Adding a C-1 with a A/V receiver and Amp

=D> \:D/ =D> Welcome!! =D> \:D/ =D> Digital inputs will have to be processed by the Pioneer as the C-1 isn't capable.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

specd_out

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:55 pm

jjptkd wrote:=D> \:D/ =D> Welcome!! =D> \:D/ =D> Digital inputs will have to be processed by the Pioneer as the C-1 isn't capable.

Yes I understand this. After all its one of the main reason why I want to keep the pioneer in the system
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:04 pm

Specs below for your unit. Pre-outs available for the amp, I believe you can plug in a turn-table and or a CD player into the C-1 then the C-1 pre-out into an analog input such as CD or whichever on the Pioneer. Configured this way you can still use the Pioneer to its fullest with the M-1.0t running the mains full time. When you want to use the C-1 simply set the Pioneer to that setting.

HDMI Input / Output 6 in / 1 out
Bluetooth Adapter Port Yes AS-BT100
Component Video Input / Output 2 In / 1 out
iPhone / iPod Front USB / Composite Video
USB Memory Input Yes (MP3 / WMA / WAV)
Ethernet Input
SIRIUS Satellite Ready
Composite A/V Input / Output 5 In / 1 out
Analog Audio Inputs / Output 2 in / 1 out
Digital Inputs / Output 5 in / 1 out
Multi-Channel Inputs N/A
Pre-Amp Outputs 7.1
Headphone Output
Front A/V Inputs HDMI / USB / Composite
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

specd_out

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:20 pm

jjptkd wrote:Specs below for your unit. Pre-outs available for the amp, I believe you can plug in a turn-table and or a CD player into the C-1 then the C-1 pre-out into an analog input such as CD or whichever on the Pioneer. Configured this way you can still use the Pioneer to its fullest with the M-1.0t running the mains full time. When you want to use the C-1 simply set the Pioneer to that setting.

HDMI Input / Output 6 in / 1 out
Bluetooth Adapter Port Yes AS-BT100
Component Video Input / Output 2 In / 1 out
iPhone / iPod Front USB / Composite Video
USB Memory Input Yes (MP3 / WMA / WAV)
Ethernet Input
SIRIUS Satellite Ready
Composite A/V Input / Output 5 In / 1 out
Analog Audio Inputs / Output 2 in / 1 out
Digital Inputs / Output 5 in / 1 out
Multi-Channel Inputs N/A
Pre-Amp Outputs 7.1
Headphone Output
Front A/V Inputs HDMI / USB / Composite

Ok that makes sense. Understanding what preamp does, and adjusting the volume basically just increases voltage, at what volume level would be recommend to leave the c-1 at. I dont want to over load the Inputs on the Pioneer.
<<

specd_out

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:17 pm

Anyone have any idea where i should set the volume level on the C-1. I dont want to over load the inputs on my Pioneer
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:27 pm

specd_out wrote:Anyone have any idea where i should set the volume level on the C-1. I dont want to over load the inputs on my Pioneer

If it has one, I'd use a FIXED output. Then it wouldn't matter.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

sisu1a

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:00 pm

Are you using the Pioneer/C-1/M1.0 as pure stereo(?) ...or as the mains in an HT?

Anyone have any idea where i should set the volume level on the C-1. I dont want to over load the inputs on my Pioneer

As I read your post and understand the question, that is entirely up to you, which is completely subjective. Regardless of whether you're using this gear as a pure stereo or as the mains in an HT, nothing will be overloading the Pioneer regardless of settings; you are merely using it as the signal source for the C-1, as a DAC/decoder in particular. What you do with the signal after that does not affect it, whether it's turning it up or down on the C-1.

I have similar components to my Stereo/AV system but might run it slightly different. I use my receiver (Integra 7.6) as a DAC and multichannel processor (phantom center) as well. I also have a C-1 for my mains, but also use a C-2 preamp for my rears and my front and rears are bi-amped to their own subs, so use the 'sub off' mode. When I want to listen to pure stereo however, I have components plugged directly into the C-1 and the processor is not even in the chain -well, unless I'm using it as a DAC at that time or I'm in multichannel mode. If I'm using my Integra as a DAC like you are planning with your Pioneer, I generally keep the volume knob on the C-1 with the marking dot at 12 o clock and use the volume function of the receiver which is nice cause it has a remote. ^_^ Ultimately though, for pure stereo listening, bypassing the receiver and plugging directly into the C-1 sounds better, but makes you have to use the volume knob on it and there ain't no remote for that!

If you are using this in multichannel, to be more specific in answering the question depends on how prominent you want your mains to be in relation to the other speakers, but you would use the receiver's built in level calibration tones (RTFM) to find the happy spot and take note of the position of the volume knob on the C-1 that correlates with volume levels to match the mains to the other speakers outputs, so you can get it back to that spot if you move it.

There is really no good reason to not have a bad ass stand alone stereo as your mains in a larger HT setup, other than cool points from the purists. The C-1 has many inputs, and only one of those has to be connected to the HT receiver...

-p
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:34 pm

sisu1a wrote:There is really no good reason to not have a bad ass stand alone stereo as your mains in a larger HT setup, other than cool points from the purists.

Totally agree, did that for years myself but on the flip side, there is absolutely no need for a bad-ass 2 channel setup to be integrated into your home theater. Most situations you can get a much more balanced, better sound for movies with much less. Room limitations or budget constraints should be the only reason to combine the 2 in my opinion.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:42 pm

jjptkd wrote:
sisu1a wrote:There is really no good reason to not have a bad ass stand alone stereo as your mains in a larger HT setup, other than cool points from the purists.

Totally agree, did that for years myself but on the flip side, there is absolutely no need for a bad-ass 2 channel setup to be integrated into your home theater. Most situations you can get a much more balanced, better sound for movies with much less. Room limitations or budget constraints should be the only reason to combine the 2 in my opinion.

You need to hear my system in both 2 channel & in 5.1.....
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

specd_out

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:57 pm

Ok now I understand what you guys are telling me to do. It makes more sense when i viewed my pioneer as another "component" going into my C-1 rather then my C-1 as a equalizer going into my Pioneer.

I love my Pioneer but It doesnt compare to my C-1 for quality 2ch. I could always purchase another cd player and be able to keep my pioneer out of the loop completely giving me a pure 2 channel. For now i will keep my 2 channel and Ht integrated. Maybe at some point I can have dedicated systems.

Thanks for your help
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:28 pm

TNRabbit wrote:You need to hear my system in both 2 channel & in 5.1.....

We're not exactly talking "apples to apples" with your system Rabbit!! 8) 8)
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)

Return to Carver Home (Theater)