FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:19 pm

Dreamer System Starts From Scratch...

<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Re: Dreamer System Starts From Scratch...

2-channel rig is pretty much set up and dialed in. (I'll post a complete, updated "System Profile" sometime later today.) Here are the long-awaited pics!!!

Here are the Sequels and the Silver 7t's, from floor-level, in front of the "sweet spot":

Here is the main part of the room, from behind the "sweet spot":

Here is a close-up of my equipment rack:

.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:54 am

Dreamer,
The ML's are gorgeous. What are the green and yellow circle items?
Thanks,
engtaz
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:25 am

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.... :lol:
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

TNRabbit

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:46 am

Richard, I remember those red balls under your TT from when we had a mini-fest at your place here in MD a couple years ago (me, you, Rodney)! I thought they were funny & inventive~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:42 am

Rabbit, you can chuckle all you want--that turntable platform is rock-solid and vibration-free. You can do jumping jacks in that room, and it won't even register on the TT, and this room has a sprung-wood floor. The platform is a 32" square slate paver, and it weighs about 40 or 50lbs. The pink balls are lacrosse practice balls. They sit inside 1.5" iron pipe flanges so they don't roll around. It might look odd, but the whole thing cost me under $30, and it's as vibe-free as you could want...

"engtaz", those green discs are 5lb weights. I'm using them ass mass-dampers, to tame vibrations. I have them on the two monoblocks, and both preamps. I also have 2x10lb weights on the woofer cabinets of each Sequel. I can't say that I actually hear a difference with them on the electronics, but they made a HUGE difference on the Sequels--tightened up the bass, smoothed out the mids, and just snapped everything into much sharper focus.

Tweeks don't have to cost an arm and a leg. Sometimes, you gotta think outside the box...
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:16 pm

I can understand them on speakers and TT's, Cool. I think wabbit was laughing at your pink balls :-" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do like your setup.
engtaz

C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:33 pm

Moving back to MD for a few months--I'm taking a semester off Grad School. Most of my rig is going into storage for the fall, much to my chagrin. No Carver, no Martin Logan, and no vinyl for several months... :(

<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:47 pm

Sorry Dreamer..... :(

"Someday you'll find everything you're looking for..." ("Greendale", N. Young)
[-o<
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:50 pm

I'm breaking down the house and packing stuff up this week--but I can't be without proper tunes for the packing!

Even though we took down the big entertainment center last night, I had to have SOMETHING to put my temporary system on, so I got some Ikea shelves from another room and moved them into the living room.

The little TV is NOT the TV I usually have in my HT setup--I already took the 42" Toshiba up north last week--this little Sylvania is just tor watching the news and weather reports...

For the first time since I've had this setup in the living room (about 2 years), the Sequels are FINALLY out from the wall about 4 feet. And HOLY COW, they sound good. My sweetie insistes that they be flush with the big entertainment center in the previous setup, which put the Sequels almost touching the wall in the back--and as anyone who has Electrostats or panels knows, these speakers need a LOT of breathing room...

It just sounds SOOOOO much better.

And I get to enjoy the hell out of it for one week, because I'm putting them in storage for the fall.

I'll have a little pair of Celestion 5's up in MD already, and I'll probably be taking my M-500t to drive them. No 'Stats" up there--there's no room, and we have a new cat with all his claws who is a "climber"...

Pray for me, brothers and sisters--I'm going into temporary exile on many fronts--no good stereo, no Second Amendment rights, and almost none of my books at hand.

But at least I'll me with my family again after a year of grad school and only getting to see them every month or two.

Hopefully we can get a Carver Meet worked out for October or November. I'm working on that, but my schedule is still sort of up in the air now...
Attachments
DreamerRig-Temp2011.jpg
DreamerRig-Temp2011.jpg (62.27 KiB) Viewed 1591 times

<<

TNRabbit

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:57 pm

Richard, while you're up here, we should arrange a trip to to Vintage HiFi in Pittsburgh (Tom) for a listen. You REALLY need to hear the new Carver tube amps & see the incredible modded C-1 that Tom has.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:35 am

TNRabbit wrote:Richard, while you're up here, we should arrange a trip to to Vintage HiFi in Pittsburgh

I might be able to make that happen. My sister lives in Wheeling WV, and I could drive out to see her some Friday evening, make the hop up to Pittsburgh as a day trip on Saturday, and then come back the next day (Sunday). It's definitely a thought! I've been wanting to see that shop for a while, (I REALLY dig the vintage stuff), and the fact that he is a "New Carver Tubes" dealer makes it even more enticing.

But I'll let you know up front, Rabbit, that my funds are MUCH more limited now than they were 4 or 5 years ago--I'm on a "graduate student" budget these days. The most expensive addition I've made to my rig in the last 3 years has been the occasional new CD...

<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:24 am

Tom (beamer) is a OK guy. :lol: If you give him a heads up maybe the other Tom will show up also.
engtaz

<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:10 pm

Sad day in the Dreamer Listening Room...

I boxed up the Sequels on Thursday and put them on the first Pod.

I boxed up the Scenarios today, and will be putting them on the second Pod tomorrow evening...

I'll be boxing up most of th erest of the rig tomorrow evening, but for now, I'm listening to a pair of Carver Silver7ts driving (wait for it..... WAIT for it.....) a pair of vintage, aluminum cabinet Minimus 7s, augmented on the low end with my Velodyne FS-1200 sub... Doesn't sound bad, actually, but it sure as hell ain't electrostatics... :-(

I'll be taking my M-500t up north to drive my Celestion 5s for the fall. It's like being banished to Purgatory for 3 months--no Martin Logans, no vinyl, and NONE of my concealed carry permits are valid in MD either (I have permits issued by THREE states...)

Pray for me brothers and sisters--there but for the grace of god go thou...

<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:24 pm

that's why its called concealed..... :-$ :-$ :-$ :D
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:56 am

Richard, just stay focused. You know when the end of this will come and you also know that you are doing this for the benefit of greater good. After all is said and done, you will be able to have your rig set up the way you want and with more money to spend on said rig. Good things come to those who wait!

Hang in there, buddy.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
Previous

Return to Carver Home (Theater)