FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:05 am

Wiring a Sunfire 300x2

<<

kirstenj

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:20 pm

Wiring a Sunfire 300x2

I'm getting parts to finish wiring AL III's to a single Sunfire 300x2. I currently have 2 strand wire running from the equipment case to under the house, but it hasn't been brought up yet in the room with speakers (approximately 55 ft max run.) This was done when we were wiring the room with the home theater. This will be an easy project to complete. However, after reading Sunfire_Amplifier_Whitepaper.pdf and reading some old posts on the subject, I'm considering stereo bi-wiring (using unbalanced input from a Yamaha RX-A1010.) This would involve taking molding off out walls (again), and replacing it with 4 strand. An additional benefit of the 4 strand, is if I wanted to bi-amp in the future, I could do that easily as well. So, questions are:

1) Is the sound improvement with this setup worth the extra work (and extra nail holes in our molding <g>)? I'm thinking it is...
2) Do I need any further equipment? e.g. crossover equipment? I don't think so, but wanted to double check.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:48 pm

Re: Wiring a Sunfire 300x2

NO
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

TNRabbit

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:29 pm

Worth it for biwiring? Not really, but it depends on what gauge is there now.

For biamping? Definitely. Ultimately, you'll want a crossover for biamping, but that sounds like it's down the road.

What gauge wire is there now?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

kirstenj

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:18 pm

12, which I believe is good for the distance I'm going.

Bob Carver and some other posts elsewhere I came across indicated that it was a more efficient use of the amp to separate out to the voltage and current posts, but it sounds like (no pun intended), that real life hasn't proven that out.
<<

TNRabbit

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:04 pm

Actually, Bob didn't say it was a more efficient use of the Sunfire amp; he said you could separate the current and voltage and use the current on the ribbons and the voltage on the woofers to give you more tube like sound. Personally, I prefer the voltage output on the ribbons. It's a personal choice. Try it before you run that much wire again.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

kirstenj

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:50 pm

Thanks for the clarification. It must have been somewhere else I was reading that spoke of efficiency. The wiring is just stubs to the underside of the house, so I still need to buy 100' of wire even if using 2 stand. Regardless, I'm going to go ahead and complete the wiring and jacks for 2 strand, and I guess it's not that big of a deal to swap it out later if I want. Right now time wise, I need simple, unless it was a big sound difference. My music tastes run from classical, jazz, funky bluegrass to many sub-genres of electronica, so the tube sound may not have been as flexible a choice for my listening anyway. Knowing me, I'll probably experiment later though as you say.

Cheers!
<<

kirstenj

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:08 pm

OK, I've tried out using only current. Pretty, but not much base. Using only voltage, the base seems to override the ribbons, muddying the sound. So... I do now want to try bi-wiring current to ribbon, and voltage to woofer. I have enough wire to wire one speaker this way, and leave the other using the bus bars. (I want to avoid buying more wire unless I decide to go this route.) I'd stand in front of the bi-wired speaker to get a sense of how it sounds. Will it harm anything (amp, speakers) to do this for a test? The alternative of removing the load to a disconnected speaker (i.e. turning down the level on the 2nd channel and not wiring the 2nd speaker) won't work because I don't see a way to control this in zone 2 of my pre-amp; only for the main zone, which is my home theater setup. I hope this is clear.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:29 pm

My dear lady, i truly welcome you to the real hobby of audio. Seems you are on the right track. This is the glory of home audio and all the testing we do to find what suites us personally. Unless you have al3 pluses, remember you can also tweak the rest on the speakers too.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

kirstenj

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:36 pm

Thanks Angelo :-) Yep, I have AL III Pluses.
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:20 pm

So it begins.....
OCCD

it sounds like you.....

just need to get a 2nd amp. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

then a new
pre amp......

the fun has only just started....... :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry honey, we eat Top romin for the next 2 weeks....

MaMa needs a new amp.....
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

kirstenj

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:45 pm

:lol: Totally!
<<

kirstenj

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:52 pm

Not wanting to originally move them got me into linear thinking that more wire was the only solution. Just need to move them closer to the amp. #-o Never used to have mental paths like this, but middle-age is showing I guess.
<<

kirstenj

Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:46 pm

... and the verdict is ...

Bi-wire!!! Both Steve and I felt it was easier on the ear, and I got the fullness of base that was missing with current-only wiring. Ordered 4 strand wire last night (for under house) and will use some of the 2 strand I previously ordered to make patch cables (wall jacks to speakers) following this post http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94203.
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:10 am

Enjoy! I ran my 300 x 2 bi-wired to my Apogee's for 20 yrs before I moved on to tubes...... 8)
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

mmogoinglu

Post Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:51 am

I want to say press release is the best medium for promoting a new business or any news or products launched by a company or firm.It is a great medium of getting the traffic on a website.If i forget some points about press release please share your views.

Return to Carver Home (Audio)