FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:45 am

Newbie Tube Pre-amp Build

<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Sat May 04, 2013 10:04 pm

Re: Newbie Tube Pre-amp Build

Magnaryder wrote:here's a link to pics of my parts layout for the M&M 5687 pre build.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosnap/

I haven't had time to even start working on the build yet , work has intruded as usual. I bought a Lightstar Direct pre chassis from one of Bob's engineers to use for my build. $50 shipped, and it's way cheaper than anything else I'd found.

ray

That will look quite good. The lightstar chassis will throw just about everyone off. Also quite awesome to get bob to sign it!
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:14 pm

Ran across some good info for all you DIY builders.

http://www.snotr.com/video/11221/Shocking_truth_about_making_an_audio_amplifier

....info you can use!!

Mark
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:33 pm

Mark thats why I pay others to build things for me... I would end up with scars and all kinds of issues doing it myself lol.
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:40 pm

I reckon it's time to start on this project:

Today I received a matched pair of 1950s blackplate Tung-Sol 5687s. I've ordered a matched quad of 1960s GE JAN 7044s and a matched pair of late 1960s Raytheon 5687s. All to roll in my M&M 5687 simple tube pre...which has turned out not to be so simple...or cheap. I've enlisted one of my neighbors to lend a hand with some of the concrete work. More on that later. I've had all of the parts for a while(since Jan 2013), so I've decided to start on it. My good friend George Daniel sent me a very fine RCA 6X4 that will serve as the tube rectifier. I found another just like it as this pre will be dual mono design. There will be one 5687 and 6X4 per channel and will feature a capacitor selector allowing switching between 3 different output coupling caps. I'll start drilling holes in the top plate tomorrow for the tube bases, the 35mm electrlytics, mains transformer and the Hammond chokes.

Pics to follow

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:21 pm

Magnaryder wrote:I reckon it's time to start on this project:

Today I received a matched pair of 1950s blackplate Tung-Sol 5687s. I've ordered a matched quad of 1960s GE JAN 7044s and a matched pair of late 1960s Raytheon 5687s. All to roll in my M&M 5687 simple tube pre...which has turned out not to be so simple...or cheap. I've enlisted one of my neighbors to lend a hand with some of the concrete work. More on that later. I've had all of the parts for a while(since Jan 2013), so I've decided to start on it. My good friend George Daniel sent me a very fine RCA 6X4 that will serve as the tube rectifier. I found another just like it as this pre will be dual mono design. There will be one 5687 and 6X4 per channel and will feature a capacitor selector allowing switching between 3 different output coupling caps. I'll start drilling holes in the top plate tomorrow for the tube bases, the 35mm electrlytics, mains transformer and the Hammond chokes.

Pics to follow

ray

Ray has not only been bit, he's infected. Do not get too close.....this is what happens when you get tube rabies and exposure thats brought on by bob........
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
Previous

Return to Carver Tubes