It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:43 pm

305 tube rollin

<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:47 pm

Re: 305 tube rollin

angelod307 wrote:
Carv-it-up wrote:Tried the Pavave 12at7 and 12ax7 and found them to sound the best overall. The Power tubes are the KT120's. I also tried the Mullard 4004's & 4024's in them and the midrange is something niiice...but after all is said and done, I end up back with the Pavanes back in my system.

although it was anwsered, bob said a few months back when i asked, the current capacity in the tubes are different and that is why you have both. so no it would not be a good idea, or bob would have done it from the start. as a side note, i am looking forward to using the psauve tubes i ordered.

Angelo.

Look like another vote for the Psvane 12AX tube's

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:58 pm

yup. just for fun, i just bought/got a telefunken 12ax7 made in w.germany for 42 shipped. my sonic frontier only needs one tube, and curiousity killed the cat you know. so, i will have a some tubes for rolling at the fest in the pre and then the psauve for the jolida. as i have two jolida's, it should be easy to a/b them.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

Carv-it-up

TFM-6cb

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:55 pm

I have tried several sets of tubes in the Cherries.
Re-issued Gold Lion 12ax7 & 12at7
Re-issued Tung Sol 12ax7 & 12at7
Pavane T series 12ax7 & 12at7
NOS Mullard CV4004 & CV4024

ALL the tubes were very good. The GL's were an all around nice sounding tube. I’ve read scores of folks who believe them to be the-cats-meow, but they come in 2nd place for me. For the price, the TS's were good and sounded as if they had the highest gain, but were a little bright; they took 3rd place. The P's took the cake. The sound from top to mid-bass is outstanding (bass in my system is run by a Sunfire CG Signature); they take 1st place. The NOS M's are a bit of a speciality tube for me. It's midrange is is is mmmmm maaagical. The top end is a little on the softer side, which I’m ok with. What made/makes the M’s difficult for me to grade is that they are like a novelty item or sound, it's great for a while, but then...

The output tubes are KT 120’s. I tried the stock tubes that come with the Cherries, but when I cranked up the volume the stock tubes looked so distressed…blue and orange flames violently pulsating to the demands of the current hungry mid/tweet towers of my Infinity Beta IRS’s. The KT 120’s handle the “cranking” so much better.

I will occasionally look to acquire other tube sets to roll, but for now the Pavanes will run in my Cherry 180's.

It’s interesting that the NOS sound Better to a lot of folks. It would seem that the new or re-issued tubes would out perform the old tubes. My thinking is this…the older tuber were designed for everything electronic. The new tubes of today are designed specifically with audio in mind.
This is my first go ‘round in the tube world, so be understanding of any naivete I may have shown with this post.
Two Signature Cinema Grand Series II amplifiers (both are used in bi-amping my Infinity IRS Beta speakers)
Cherry 180's (use them off & on to power the mids/highs tower of IRS Beta speakers)
Sunfire Signature 600~Two amplifier (used on Thiel CS5i)
Carver TX-12 tuner
Own & working, but not in use right now - Sunfire Series II amplifier + two Carver M500t MKII amplifiers + Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamplifier preamp w/ phono & remote.
<<

Carv-it-up

TFM-6cb

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:45 pm

Thanks angelod307. I'll stick with the 12ax7 and 12at7 tube configuration the way Bob designed it to be.
Two Signature Cinema Grand Series II amplifiers (both are used in bi-amping my Infinity IRS Beta speakers)
Cherry 180's (use them off & on to power the mids/highs tower of IRS Beta speakers)
Sunfire Signature 600~Two amplifier (used on Thiel CS5i)
Carver TX-12 tuner
Own & working, but not in use right now - Sunfire Series II amplifier + two Carver M500t MKII amplifiers + Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamplifier preamp w/ phono & remote.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:54 pm

sweet
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:24 pm

Angelo- sounds like almost too good a deal... I hope they are real TFN's-
Telefunken ECC83

A well known tube among audiophiles and guitarists, some people regard the Telefunken ECC83 as the ultimate pre-amp tube. It is used more commonly by audiophiles. The Telefunken is considered a wide-band 'neutral' or 'clear' tube. It does not really impart any color to the sound. Therefore, if you have an overly warm stereo or guitar amp, you may want to consider this tube. There are two main types of Telefunkens: smooth plates and ribbed plates. The smooth plates are usually more desirable and expensive for audiophiles, probably because people consider this type to be more 'neutral'. Telefunkens are not used in guitar amps as much as other ECC83 types. I have found that the smooth plate Telefunken lacks personality in a guitar amp and does not really overdrive well. The ribbed plates are a little better in this regard. However, there is a good place to put a Telefunken smooth plate in a guitar amp... in the phase-inverter slot (usually the last slot closest to the power amp tubes.) I have found that this can add some 'clarity' and '3-D' effect to your overall sound. Genuine Telefunkens always have an etched diamond shape on the bottom of the tube between the pins, so you must always look out for this. Telefunkens are also commonly faked, even with the diamond bottom. Usually these fake Telefunkens will have perfect labeling that is 'baked-on' and will not rub off with a cloth. This is a dead-giveaway that you are dealing with a fake. The labels on real Telefunkens are always fragile and will easily rub off. Look out for Telefunkens with other labels: Fisher, Gap-R Computor and others. These are genuine Telefunkens and can usually be had at special prices. There are also highly regarded 'Lab Quality' Medial Telefunkens that were produced for Leeds & Northrup Grummond. These will usually have red tips, say 'Selected' somewhere on the tube, and are sought after by audiophiles who will pay insane prices for these tubes.
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:48 pm

Chauss has spoken! :D =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

milsap195

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:16 pm

Carv-it-up wrote:I have tried several sets of tubes in the Cherries.
Re-issued Gold Lion 12ax7 & 12at7
Re-issued Tung Sol 12ax7 & 12at7
Pavane T series 12ax7 & 12at7
NOS Mullard CV4004 & CV4024

ALL the tubes were very good. The GL's were an all around nice sounding tube. I’ve read scores of folks who believe them to be the-cats-meow, but they come in 2nd place for me. For the price, the TS's were good and sounded as if they had the highest gain, but were a little bright; they took 3rd place. The P's took the cake. The sound from top to mid-bass is outstanding (bass in my system is run by a Sunfire CG Signature); they take 1st place. The NOS M's are a bit of a speciality tube for me. It's midrange is is is mmmmm maaagical. The top end is a little on the softer side, which I’m ok with. What made/makes the M’s difficult for me to grade is that they are like a novelty item or sound, it's great for a while, but then...

The output tubes are KT 120’s. I tried the stock tubes that come with the Cherries, but when I cranked up the volume the stock tubes looked so distressed…blue and orange flames violently pulsating to the demands of the current hungry mid/tweet towers of my Infinity Beta IRS’s. The KT 120’s handle the “cranking” so much better.

I will occasionally look to acquire other tube sets to roll, but for now the Pavanes will run in my Cherry 180's.

It’s interesting that the NOS sound Better to a lot of folks. It would seem that the new or re-issued tubes would out perform the old tubes. My thinking is this…the older tuber were designed for everything electronic. The new tubes of today are designed specifically with audio in mind.
This is my first go ‘round in the tube world, so be understanding of any naivete I may have shown with this post.

Have you tried any new tubes lately?
Modified Carver VTA 180 with KT-150's, Oppo 105, Emotiva xsp-1, Anthony Gallo Classico 4
Sansui SR838 tt
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:14 pm

have tellys in both places, I think it sounds great. :D :D :D
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:38 am

Hey Mike,
Have you tried any of the PSvanes KT88's in your amps yet? Tried them in my Cary (hi-fi series), but lost a tube after only 3 months. Sounded awesome, but my amp was having issues with bias current on them.....rolling KT120's right now- hopefully they break in a bit. Right now a little bright and not as 3 dimensional as the PSvanes IMHO, BUT MAN - THEY DO PUT OUT SOME POWER! Still having bias creep issues on warm-up, but these tubes seem pretty rugged, once re-adjusted they settle in (every time I power up). This amp seems to be EXTREMELY picky about tubes...I am working with Cary to get to the bottom of it- they keep blaming the tubes--

Anyone out there have any experience with a Cary CAD120s MKII amp? The PSVanes sounded WAY better than the KT88-T's in this amp, but I can not afford to run them the way I keep losing tubes...

Sorry -Did not mean to derail your thread-

F1Nut has voiced a high opinion of these tubes also (PSvane)- rightfully so from what I have heard of them! =D>
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:23 pm

Chauss wrote:Hey Mike,
Have you tried any of the PSvanes KT88's in your amps yet? Tried them in my Cary (hi-fi series), but lost a tube after only 3 months. Sounded awesome, but my amp was having issues with bias current on them.....rolling KT120's right now- hopefully they break in a bit. Right now a little bright and not as 3 dimensional as the PSvanes IMHO, BUT MAN - THEY DO PUT OUT SOME POWER! Still having bias creep issues on warm-up, but these tubes seem pretty rugged, once re-adjusted they settle in (every time I power up). This amp seems to be EXTREMELY picky about tubes...I am working with Cary to get to the bottom of it- they keep blaming the tubes--

Anyone out there have any experience with a Cary CAD120s MKII amp? The PSVanes sounded WAY better than the KT88-T's in this amp, but I can not afford to run them the way I keep losing tubes...

Sorry -Did not mean to derail your thread-

F1Nut has voiced a high opinion of these tubes also (PSvane)- rightfully so from what I have heard of them! =D>

Dan, my E.A.R. Yoshino V20 has a full complement(30) of Psvane tubes in it and although they are only 12AX7/12AU7s, I've had no problems with them.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:59 pm

Ray,
4 of the tubes tested weak on my B&K.....@72 on life test when they were supposed to be new??? Other 4 were 88% or better. Has no issues with the sound what-so-ever....they were the best tubes I ever rolled in the Cary for overall sound quality. I went with the TS KT120's because they are more rugged (and I have a 3 yr wty) 8) If I ever figure out why this amp keeps eating good sounding tubes, I will try and find 4 to match the stronger 4... with 3 short lived spares on the shelf. :D

The seller no longer sells that brand on FleaBay- he was a "light-bulb" seller...plug it in - it works- is' goog!
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:38 pm

valve art kt88 are in there right now
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:03 pm

mbskeam wrote:valve art kt88 are in there right now

Mike

Did you ever try the 12 x Silver Eagles I loaded you, as we all know they are "Bob's" rebranded Shuguang tubes.

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:05 pm

mbskeam wrote:valve art kt88 are in there right now

nice choice! reviews??? :D
Previous

Return to Carver Tubes